Rome - Civitavecchia

jzad

We are planning on staying the night before our cruise on Jewel of the Seas in May in Civitavecchia. We will be in Rome until that time.

Can anyone tell me if I am best to book the train from the Termini station to Civitavecchia or should I use another station? I would like a direct route without changing trains. Our B&B is right near the port.

Any information is appreciated.

Janine

No need to book in advance, unless you want one of the less frequent fast trains (it saves you about 20 min) that cost more. Otherwise, there is at least one regional train per hour (sometimes more) usually at 12 and 42 minutes past each hour...from Termini. Although these regional trains originate from Termini, you could catch them from several other Rome stations (a few minutes later) such as Ostience, S. Pietro, etc. These trains have no reservations and take about 1:20 to get to Civitavecchia. The trains that depart at 12 past the hour are usually slightly faster since they make fewer stops. There are also a few of the fast Intercity Trains (9:57 and 15:57) which do require reservations and cost more then twice the price. All the trains are direct (no changes). However, be aware that when you arrive at Civitavecchia you will have to descent a long staircase to pass under some tracks...and then climb back up to the station level. There is no functioning elevator...so this is a consideration if you are hauling luggage.

Hank

Hank is right about the price multiples (twice the regional price for the IC trains, three times for the Frecce) but it's still a relatively small sum of money and it may be worth it to you to ensure you have a seat. Regional trains have no seat assignments and make a lot of stops between Rome and Civitavecchia.

If you book the Freeciabianca 3 months or so in advance it can be very reasonable. A reserved seat and space for luggage is worth it imho. We paid 10 euros each for first class.

Agree that it is not the easiest station to exit and then there is a bus or a walk to the port entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you book the Freeciabianca 3 months or so in advance it can be very reasonable. A reserved seat and space for luggage is worth it imho. We paid 10 euros each for first class.

That's the only scenario in which I would pay for first class, especially on this short trip. There' s no need to pay extra to be in first unless, as in this case, there was little or no upcharge vs. second.