First time cruise questions

Nicoleb789

We are going on our first cruise next month and I have a few questions. We will be on the Breakaway from NY to the Bahamas.

We are a party of 6 with 2 inside cabins. I understand the cabins are quite small but as first timers I am planning on not spending much time in the rooms. Any tips or tricks that might make our stay in the cabins a little more comfortable?

We have 11 year old twins and a 14 year. They are all shy and I am just wondering how the kid clubs work. Do they have a meet and greet for the kids we can sign up for? What type of activities will they have for the age groups? Besides the club and the pool and waterslides what other type of activities will there be? I know there are tons of fun things do but I am just trying to get an idea.

We have the drink package. Does that mean we can get drinks anywhere on the ship or are there specific locations, drink limits, drink types we need to be aware of? Is the drink package available as soon as we are onboard?

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Your first cruise such an exciting experience.

Try not to over pack because the atmosphere is casual. Some people buy an inexpensive shoe bag to organize items. It can be left behind and you will have more room for souvenirs.

There will be a schedule for the day when you board the ship. It should contain information about sign up for the youth programs along with dining, activities, and shows.

You can make reservations for the complimentary dining rooms in advance online, if you wish.

Make your kids go to the clubs the first night (sign them up beforehand). None of my kids seemed to enjoy the 10 - 12 group on any ship, but I think it’s just an awkward age, plus the last time I had kids in that group, they were 10, 10, and 12, so they didn’t need to find others. However, some kids love it!

All of my kids loved the teen club, and met a lot of kids they still have contact with, even years later. My 19 and 21 year olds actually ran into a girl from 3 years ago on our last cruise, and they hung out all week.

The drink packag3 starts right away, can’t be used for room service or minibar, and you will be charged taxes while in NYC (less than $1 a drink). Any drink over $15, you pay the difference.

You will love cruising. It is the most relaxing vacation I know. You can also book some shows on line before you go. Then on the first day of the cruise you can sign up for the rest of the offered entertainment at the box office.

I bring magnets to hang any tickets or schedules on the wall in the cabin. You can use a highlighter to pinpoint the items you want to do each day when the daily comes out each evening for the next day. You can eat as much as you like in the dining rooms and if someone doesn't like what they got you can get a different appetizer, entree or desert. We always order multiple desserts :D .

We try to arrive in the morning to board the ship and miss the crowds. Then we have lunch at the buffet to taste all the different types of food they offer. If there is outdoor seating we sit there.

Have a wonderful cruise.

And the drink plan includes drinks from anywhere on the ship, all bars and restaurants, and on Great Stirrup Cay. Does NOT include the wine dispensers in the buffet.

At that age, my daughter was socially awkward too, but she enjoyed the scavenger hunt organized by the kids club. They ran around the ship in groups to find things. Warning about the show, Rock of Ages: Mature themes. Judge based on your own openness and the kids' maturity. My daughter was good at 14 for the show. I've seen others with younger and I probably would have been OK at 11 too.

The big draw for kids that age is often the activities - ropes course, climbing, bungee trampoline, basketball, mini golf, etc. At age 11-14 you might trust them to do activities if they stay together. We allowed our daughter to go from place to places on the ships from Age 8. If they have phones, you can pay $15 to activate them on the iConcierge app and all of you who do that can message or call each other on the ship.

Be aware there is a bakery and ice cream shop at the back of the ship that costs... not a lot but along with the arcade set ground rules for the kids. Also there are activities that are fun but cost a lot - Deal or no deal is fun to watch even if you don't shell out the $20 to play along.

Remember that Dining Rooms and O'Sheehan's are sit down dining options that are also included for no extra charge so you don't have to do the Buffet all the time. (are you planning any upcharge specialty dining?)

We have the drink package. Does that mean we can get drinks anywhere on the ship or are there specific locations, drink limits, drink types we need to be aware of? Is the drink package available as soon as we are onboard?

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Sent from my iPhone using Forums