Passport expiring

TEGL

If the passport is still valid, or expired for less than 5 years you can renew by mail, no need to go to a passport application center.

The State Department site is saying going through passport application center is a bit faster than by mail.

YMMV.

the 6 month validity warning is a 'generic' thing and as many have mentioned is mostly moot for Caribbean or Central American / Mexico destinations. HOWEVER the 'Schengen' countries of Europe (26 at this time), and some other places, REQUIRE a passport to be valid for the 3 month period of an 'automatic' tourist VISA PLUS 3 months past the date of planned departure, assumed to be after the full 3 months initially granted.

Don't blame me ... their rules! https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html

therefore to be simple the State Depertment recommends EVERYONE have a minimum of 6 months validity on their passport (perhaps knowing so FEW will check the spefic rules for their destinations)

Why does a cruise line say 6 months ..... cuz they do transatlantics that go to Schengen countries and people seldom read the BIG print, much less the fine print .....

Thank you for this clarification. I just know that the 6-mo info is always on our cruise fine print that you just check and scroll on through! I've never researched it, and what you say makes perfect sense. We recently had to re-do ours between cruises and had to expedite it. If I'd had this info, I wouldn't have spent the x-tra $$. Live & learn!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As far as renewing the passport, you have two options. You can mail in a DS82 with appropriate fee and old passport, or make an appointment at a State Department passport center ( which you seem to understand because you said it was an hour's drive.) Passport Acceptance Agencies (post office, library, etc.) do not accept normal renewals. You need to make an appointment at the State Department Center. Some, like in Connecticut, take walk-ins after appointments have been taken care of. Good luck with whatever you decide.