XCarat or Playa Mia?

IBRelaxin2

I can't pick between the two...

For $79 we could go to Playa Mia and have open bar, lunch, relax on the beach, sun, etc (but I'm not much of a beach person) but I do like to snorkel so if they offered that I'd be happy

or

for somewhere between 50-100 (can't see the price on Carnival.com anymore) we could spend 7 hours in Xcarat. I love the cenotes, I like snorkeling, etc.

Anyone done both, or done either, and could give me a bit of a review. Thanks!

I can't pick between the two...

For $79 we could go to Playa Mia and have open bar, lunch, relax on the beach, sun, etc (but I'm not much of a beach person) but I do like to snorkel so if they offered that I'd be happy

or

for somewhere between 50-100 (can't see the price on Carnival.com anymore) we could spend 7 hours in Xcarat. I love the cenotes, I like snorkeling, etc.

Anyone done both, or done either, and could give me a bit of a review. Thanks!

I have been to xcaret. Both I and my wife loved it. Very nice beach area, a cave with a river that you float down, nice zoo and the dolphin swim (which costs extra) Have not been to Playa Mia so no comment on that.

We've done playa mia. But keep in mind we're beach people. There is quite a bit of water activities. The water was way too murkey when we were there 4/04 to snorkel. Plus I can't recall any snorkel activity. Seemed to be purely beach bum and water stuff, like inflatable rafts, a climbing iceburg ect. all non motorized. We thought it was a great deal for a bunch of beach bums. There was a small "zoo" which the kids loved, maybe spend 30 minutes in it. If you want some pics, e-mail me, but know the second last hurricaine did quite a bit of damage and our pics might not accurately reflect it. Happy to e-mail them anyway.

ps. the party boat, double decker does stop here for two hours on their excursion and the beach suddenly gets packed and the bars busy, but good service prevailed. I think it's the fiesta party boat that stopped there.

nimbexed_n_down@hotmail.com

carol

I also did Playa Mia in March-before the hurricane.

I was severely sunburnt from the previous day at sea, but Playa Mia provided an umbrella and a plastic 'scoop' seat for everyone anyways. We didn't to the all-inclusive thing with the food, just the admission, which covered our alcoholic drinks. Again, I was too sunburnt to really get my money's worth, but neither did my DBF, who wasn't sunburnt. They had massages on the beach though.

Does the $79 package include transportation? If not, they charged us $14 each way just to get to Playa Mia-and almost killed us twice on the way back. (No, Mr. Cab Driver-53' transports will NOT move for you when you're driving on the wrong side of the road after passing someone!)

If you're not the 'beach' type-go to Xcaret. You'll have more fun there. Cenotes are gorgeous for snorkeling! And if it has a beach as well, all the better! :D

DON'T book through the ship if you go to Playa Mia - the cab drivers have Playa Mia brochures in their cars, and if you get a voucher from them it's about $40 pp for the full package with all you can eat and drink. You just bring the voucher to the gate and pay the reduced price. I think it was $75 pp to book through Carnival last week.

I have been thinking about either Xcaret or Playa Mia (and the cooking class excursion) for my cruise in January.

I would love to hear any info on Xcaret and also any info since this past hurricane season!

As far as the beach....I was in Cozumel this past April and we went to Paradise Beach instead of Playa Mia. I selected Paradise Beach because I did not want to go where all the cruise ships were going and I had also heard that it got very crowded when an excursion came in.

Paradise beach was wonderful!! I wrote a review over on the Ports of Call board but in a nutshell.....$12 cab ride over, You could use the beach and a lounge chair for free but a $5 wristband got us use of all the non-motorized water toys - which seemed to be the same as at Playa Mia. There were a bunch of additional cost things to be done - motorized water toys, henna tattoos, hair braiding, massage. There was not an all-inclusive meal/drink package but the food was very good and reaonably priced and I actually spent less than the all-inclusive package at Play Mia. Staff was friendly and it was very clean. Menu and prices can be seen on their website.

I would go back to Paradise Beach again but am looking for something different as my last cruise was with my DD and my upcoming come I will be cruising with my BF.....thought we might enjoy the Mexican Cooking class at Playa Mia and also had REALLY wanted to do Xcaret in the past but never got to!

Looking forward to hearing any all about either if these excursions!!

Depends.....you did not say what Itinerary or ship you have....

We've never been to Playa Mia ? Where is it ?

As for Xcaret...it's a wonderful place....but if you are docking in Cozumel, we did the Xcaret excursion.....it was a long trip.......a 45 minute ferry ride each way..(Ferry left about 45 minutes after the boarding time.....a walk to the bus.....then a talk......and a long trip.

We did the float down the underground river and loved it. Walked around saw the sites and had lunch.....

That's all we had time for

We ended up with about 2 hours and 45 minutes total for Xcaret.

We had to be back at the bus by a certain time....then of course it was about another 20 minutes before it actually left....people kept straggling in.

Bus ride back to Playa Del Carman......a walk to the dock and a 45 minute Ferry ride that goes to downtown first.....then after goes back to the ship.

Again......we loved Xcaret....would love to have a full day there....would be lots to do........And I'm glad we went.......However I felt frustrated and rushed with the Carnival Excursion....from Cozumel.

If you are docking Calica.....or tendering in to Playa Del Carman...it would probably be pretty good....

We've never been to Paridise Beach either....

In Cozumel we have always gone to Chankanaab Park..(it's where they have the Dolphin Experience) They have a small beach.....and you can rent snorkel equipment right on the beach....

The entry to the water is a little steep and rocky......but the Water is Soooo Clear.......you can see forever.......there are lots of beautiful fish and stuff to see.........

Chankanaab is a short cab ride from the ship around $6 to $8 (per load) and there is about a $10 per person entrance fee......

Hum, when I emailed Playa Mia they would not give me a price, said I would have to book through the cruise ship.... wonder why. Anyhow if it's only $40pp plus the $14 each way (I assume per cab not pp) then it's worth it to go on my own I guess... as it would only be $108 rather than $160 through Carnival (two of us). Anyone know if this is possible?

That's funny-I wrote to them before going in March and they were full of info for me-even gave me prices for the parasailing they have ($55 for 10 minutes-no thanks!).

When we got to the gates they displayed the prices there-so I don't see why they would just automatically tell you to go with the ship. Maybe they have an agreement with CCL-if you mention you're from a ship they won't help you. (Kinda like booking with Carnival as opposed to a TA, lol).

I think we paid $29/US each for the all-inclusive drinking package (don't know what else to call it) through the ship and the full buffet price was $55??? I didn't pay attention to the full buffet price at the gates, but the 'drinking' price was $32. lol-we actually saved money through the ship for once! But if you can find the coupons, chances are it would be cheaper to do it that way.

And yup-the cab was $14 per cab, sorry, lol.

voyagerfl: It was about a 10 minute cab drive from the Puerta Maya pier.

LizaMM: We're thinking of doing Paradise Beach this time-did you get to meet Tom? I've been following that HUGE thread for awhile now, seems like a lot of people are happy there.

We've been to Xcaret twice. Once on the Carnival and once when we stayed in Cancun. I would never go when on a cruise again. There is not enough time to fully enjoy the park. We thought it was too much money for not getting to enjoy the full park. But I guess if you have never been there then you don't have anything to compare it to. It is truly a beautiful place. Playa Mia is just a beach.

If you email Playa Mia now and say you are coming on a cruise ship, they will no longer email you with prices - they advise you to book through the ship. I have no idea when this changed. You most certainly CAN, however, just take a cab there and pay at the gate, and you will get the discounted rate if you ask the driver for the coupon/voucher.

We've been to Xcaret twice. Once on the Carnival and once when we stayed in Cancun. I would never go when on a cruise again. There is not enough time to fully enjoy the park. We thought it was too much money for not getting to enjoy the full park. But I guess if you have never been there then you don't have anything to compare it to. It is truly a beautiful place. Playa Mia is just a beach.

i agree. When I went to Xcaret, it was when I was staying at a resort in Cancun. It was a 45 minute drive from there, and we spent all day exploring. Also, at night, I understand they have an outstanding show that is not to be missed. I don't think you will have enough time with the cruise.

RIZZO - Yes - I met Tom when at Paradise Beach. he was very friendly - as were all the staff. He came around and introduced himself to everyone and chatted for a bit and that was before I even told him that I had been posting on Cruise Critic and my screen name. We had a lovely day here (my DD and myself along with another Cruise Critic family we went with)

It sounds like Xcaret will not be the best choice for me this trip.

If I just want to go to a beach, Playa Mia would probably not be my choice for this particular trip.....the reason I was contemplating it was because we (BF and myself) thought it might be fun to do the Mexican Cooking Class which is offered as an excursion here.

Good Question, and they are apples and oranges in response.

The estrogen component of my house likes the white sand and beach at Playa Mia, complete with the Hobie Cats, kayaks, floats, etc. I like the cold and ample supply of Corona and the shade.

Xcaret has more to do, requires a lot of walking to see it all and is "something for everyone" in it's design. If the weather is really hot Xcaret can be a cooker.

So, look at the link for my photo's below and click on both albums. Both places are fun, and Xcaret gives you more to do if you are docking at Calica, the port from hell.

http://community.webshots.com/user/blusry

Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride

Lee in Houston

ANyone who is staying on top of this thread....PLEASE make sure you read the Cozumel/Ports of Call Board. There is a LOT of info over there on WHICH AREAS ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS. I read a post that stated that Xcaret is NOT OPEN at this time.

There is a wonderful amount of info there and links to a whole website dedicated to the rebuilding of Cozumel which tells about which beaches etc are open and their condition and those that are not. It seems to be updated quite frequently and the man who hosts the website is in Cozumel.

Archived