The Ruby in Mexico: A Super Late & Sorta Short Review

sjmbruce

We did our first ever cruise on that ship and we'll be back on it to do this very cruise in February.

As I spent my childhood in Santa Clarita (the family moved to Ventura the day after I graduated Canyon High), it was a neat surprise for me to see that part.

I've enjoyed your take on the boat, too.

We did our first ever cruise on that ship and we'll be back on it to do this very cruise in February.

As I spent my childhood in Santa Clarita (the family moved to Ventura the day after I graduated Canyon High), it was a neat surprise for me to see that part.

I've enjoyed your take on the boat, too.

I'll also be on this cruise in February.

And, Mr. Cardiffman, you didn't spend your childhood in Santa Clarita, you grew up in Canyon Country. For those who don't know about Santa Clarita, it didn't exist until around 1987, when it was formed by combining Canyon Country, Saugus, Newhall and Valencia. And if you go to the mall in Santa Clarita, you can see Princess (and Cunard) headquarters.

Nice review, by the way.

Apparently I am horrible at keeping up with reviews even when they're short ones. Thanks for all of the emails for the Patters, I hope they showed up alright for everyone. Please continue to send me a message or email me at sjmbruce at gmail dot com if you'd like a PDF of them.

Edited by sjmbruce

Service: Aside from the iffy service in the main dining room, everyone else was friendly and efficient. The only issue we had was with our credit card being linked to our account. When we first arrived to embark, my credit card couldn't be found in their system so we added during the check in process. During the cruise we received a few letters in our cabin that there wasn't a credit card on our file or linked to us at all and requested we come to the guest services desk to take care of this. I had to go twice during our five day cruise to add the same credit card. While this isn't a huge deal, it does interrupt escaping into relaxation with a dose of reality and having to take care of business. This also seemed to be a ship wide issue as there were many others in line with me doing the same thing repeatedly.

Mexico:

Even though our balcony had been assigned to us through our upgrade, we ended up on the port side. When we first approached Cabo, we could see colorful buildings, beaches and part of the rock formations in the distance. It was already so beautiful and I was excited.

enhance

Then the ship anchored so that the port side faced the arch and rock formations and we spent some time taking pictures from our balcony before we had to meet for an excursion.

enhance

enhance

Our original plan for Cabo was to have no schedule, no planned activities. We were going to wander around the port, eventually grab a water taxi to take us past the rock formations and the arch, and be dropped off at Medano beach where we would relax and have dinner before taking a regular land taxi back to the ship. Then I started reading about the wait times for tenders. Lengthy, more than an hour or two waits. the ship would arrive at 1:00pm and I didn't want to finally get on a tender and make it to land at 3:00 or 4:00in the afternoon.

I began researching princess excursions. The only one I really liked was already booked solid, so I settled for the second best. It was a smaller boat ride to see the arch and then a ride on tour bus to a restaurant with panoramic views. The restaurant wouldn't be open to order from their menu, but each person would receive a beer, can of soda or bottle of water.

I am glad we chose a Princess excursion. We received tickets in our cabin instructing us to meet in the Wheelhouse bar. After waiting in there, we were split into our excursion group and led into the Princess theater to sit together and wait some more. The time that we were supposed to be starting our tour passed. While it isn't fun to wait, we were okay, but there were people with reserved plans after the tour that were starting to get angry. Our group was finally called to board a tender.

Apparently I am horrible at keeping up with reviews even when they're short ones. Thanks for all of the emails for the Patters, I hope they showed up alright for everyone. Please continue to send me a message if you'd like a PDF of them.

I would like a copy, tjcletzgo@hotmail.com,

Thank you😃

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

We finally made it onto a tender. We were taken to the dock to immediately board another boat, decently sized with three stories. Everyone was led up to the top deck. We were last and there wasn't enough nice seating for everyone so we ended up sitting on hard, hot storage boxes against the railing. I wasn't too upset as I knew I'd be running around taking pictures, but for anyone expecting a nice cushy seat, it's good to know to get on first or lose out.

There were some nice sights and even some wildlife on our way out to open water:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thank you! :) Although I will be on the Emerald on Tuesday, we are doing the same 5 day. I too wanted to do a private beach with a resort, I read that it could take 3 hours or so to get off the boat! I decided to book us the small boat tour and few hours at a beach. lol

• 1 month later...

Patters are being sent! I can't believe I forgot to finish this review. Between work, school, family health scares and an old laptop that won't run Cruise Critic and Shutterfly at the same time, it completely escaped my mind. I'll add a few more posts and pictures this weekend to wrap everything up.