Pride of America Dec/Jan Can we swim? Are currents sailing rough?

Brookefairway

I was just reading that water temperature can be too cool to snorkel or swim comfortably. Also it says rough surf on the northern ends of the islands. I am not sure how this translates as the ship sails from place to place if that means we should expect Hawaii 5 0 type of waves? Also is the rain an issue?

Temps then will be in the 80’s with great beach and snorkeling.

Yes, certain beaches will be closed during the infrequent high surf. But every island is roundish and there are always 3 sides pointing away from the high surf.

Hawaii is a rain forest. It will shower every day for brief periods. “Hawaiian sunshine”. Nothing to even think about.

I was just reading that water temperature can be too cool to snorkel or swim comfortably. Also it says rough surf on the northern ends of the islands. I am not sure how this translates as the ship sails from place to place if that means we should expect Hawaii 5 0 type of waves? Also is the rain an issue?

We used to live in Hawaii, the water is always warm enough to swim, however the water is not as warm as what you would experience in the Caribbean so it may feel a bit cool when you first jump in. Depending on what side of the islands you are visiting will determine how much rainfall you experience, you can get the big Kona lows in the winter and that can bring some pretty nasty weather, the north shores of the islands will most likely have the highest surf, the south shores should be fine generally speaking.

I ALWAYS swim with a floater. Always. It's easy to get out and caught in strong currents, which has happened to me. I do do a lot of shore snorkeling and know my limits, people get into trouble when they don't. Going on on snorkel tours can be of benefit for snorkelers as well. I also ALWAYS take my wet suit, the water is way too cold for me, since with snorkeling, I am in deeper water and out longer.

IF looking to just shore swim, probably is warm enough. I do go to Hawaii every year in the winter for a humpback viewing priority, and have a lot of experience with snorkeling, both tours and shore entry.