Lucca on Last Day of Comic Con

Cruisepm

We will be in Livorno on Sunday, November 5. We have "done" Florence and thought we would visit Lucca. Is this ill-advised since this is the last day of Comic Con? Will Lucca be overrun with people attending Comic Con? We were thinking of going to Lucca and then stopping by Pisa on the way back to the ship. We're considering just skipping Lucca if it is going to be extremely crowded. Thanks for your help!

We will be in Livorno on Sunday, November 5. We have "done" Florence and thought we would visit Lucca. Is this ill-advised since this is the last day of Comic Con? Will Lucca be overrun with people attending Comic Con? We were thinking of going to Lucca and then stopping by Pisa on the way back to the ship. We're considering just skipping Lucca if it is going to be extremely crowded. Thanks for your help!

We were in Comic Con last year. Major crowd but great fun. You cannot believe the costumes and excitement. Perfect photo ops. We were able to navigate through the town w/o much difficulty but it will be crowded. Lucca is a beautiful town. Of course it would be better without this event but the town is a great tourist site. Good idea to go early before it becomes too busy.

As one who attends cons, albeit in the US, I think it would be fabulous fun to be in Lucca with all the costumes around. I loved Lucca and would love to spend more time there. Plan a bike around the top of the wall. It's less crowded up there (at least the one time we were there, in the early evening) and and easy ride.

I’d be more worried about the large crowds at Pisa than Lucca. We were at both a couple of weeks ago and I can’t imagine bigger crowds than Pisa.

• 3 months later...

We happened upon the Comicon last year. I was initially frustrated because it was not what I was expecting. It was my wedding anniversary and I was planning this romantic stroll around a quiet town.

Once I had got over the surprise I just started to smile and take pictures. The day was fun. I am glad that I went.

I am not sure about bike riding. The walls were filled with stalls so it might be frustrating. Sorry but I can't share photos showing the crowds - I deleted those.

So the bottom line is, if you want a fun day out -go. If you are seeking a quiet day out in a beautiful town full of history look elsewhere.

and stopping by Pisa is really easy from Lucca. It may be that not all trains stop there, but the local train that we got from Lucca back to Pisa stopped very near to the Tower - it was the stop before Pisa Centrale if I recall. You could just get out there and walk back to Pisa Centrale for your return train to Livorno.

We didn't do it because we had not allowed ourselves enough time. We really were not very keen on too many early mornings.