Best thing for motion sickness?

Heathermcgrath

Going on first cruise in a couple weeks and wondering what the best thing is for motion sickness on the ship. We are mid ship. I don't usually get too motion sick however I want to be prepared. I have heard it is better to start taking whatever you use a few days before getting on the ship. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

I have been on 8 cruises and always took my Bonine the day before I got on the ship and for a couple days after that. I did not get sea sick. Once we have very rough water and I felt a little icky but I got back to the middle of the ship and had a ginger ale, and stayed sitting down and It didn't last long. The main thing is, if you get sick the meds are worthless to help you NOT to get sick. There are all kind of meds to take. You need to choose what you think will work for you. Not taking anything is the worst thing you could do. Have a great cruise.

8 cruises down the Atlantic Ocean with a lot of very rough seas. We have taken Bonine once every morning of each cruise and never been sea sick or had side effects. I used to get very seasick on any boat before I started taking this. I also drink alcohol on the cruises without an issue.

I agree with this 1000000% I use to always get sea sick then tried Bonine and it is now my go to for cruising. No side effects for me either and I am even able to walk the ship in the opposite direction it is sailing which would have been a big no no for me before.

Going on first cruise in a couple weeks and wondering what the best thing is for motion sickness on the ship. We are mid ship. I don't usually get too motion sick however I want to be prepared. I have heard it is better to start taking whatever you use a few days before getting on the ship. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Motion Eaze worked great for me. Worked within 10 minutes after I applied it. Usually don't believe in homeopathic medicines, but this one worked great. Also bring the ginger candies with me just in case.

I have been on 8 cruises and always took my Bonine the day before I got on the ship and for a couple days after that. I did not get sea sick. Once we have very rough water and I felt a little icky but I got back to the middle of the ship and had a ginger ale, and stayed sitting down and It didn't last long. The main thing is, if you get sick the meds are worthless to help you NOT to get sick. There are all kind of meds to take. You need to choose what you think will work for you. Not taking anything is the worst thing you could do. Have a great cruise.
Actually once you get sick you can go to the infirmary and get a shot that completely takes your sickness away and it lasts for days. I did it once on a 7 day cruise....first night there was a storm and I was terribly sick. Got that shot and before I made it back to my cabin I was all better.....and for the rest of the trip.

Bonine. All the time. No side affects and you can drink with it :)

Marijuana edibles work well (ex. hard candy). They are illegal, but work.

People are going to go ballistic about this suggestion ... just answering your question.

Not at all, they work well for a lot of things. I was able to get some for a friend of mine when he was going thru chemo. None of the meds supplied by Penn did anything for his nausea.

Lots of alcohol .. while the ship sways one way, you sway the other and it all evens out in the end .. ;p

Just kidding... I personally never get seasick and have been on some rocky ships in the past. However, I have had a friend who did get seasick on a ship and started taking the pills onboard. They worked wonders for my friend and quickly too. Maybe wait and see how you feel first before deciding on taking anything. Also, a center location for a room cabin on board can help as well.

Most of all, I hope you have a great trip.

Actually once you get sick you can go to the infirmary and get a shot that completely takes your sickness away and it lasts for days. I did it once on a 7 day cruise....first night there was a storm and I was terribly sick. Got that shot and before I made it back to my cabin I was all better.....and for the rest of the trip.

Thank heavens I never had to get the shot for getting sick. But It is great that you can get it to solve the problem. Great tip.

I was only seasick once and that was when I didn't know about what I do now. I go stand on my balcony(or at the railing on one of the decks if I don't have a balcony), stare at the horizon and take some deep breaths of ocean air. It works every time. I did have to get a shot once but that was because I was uninformed and even though I was slightly seasick I went to the spa to get my hair done and it was in a room with no windows. Not fun. In addition to looking at the horizon I sip ginger ale.

What is the ingredient in the shot the infirmary gives? Does that make you tired too? Sea bands I wear for normal shaking but last cruise had 8-10 ft seas and the bands did nothing. Dramamine even less drowsy also makes me sleep. Tried the patch years ago and dry mouth, blurry vision and no appetite were my side effects.. Curious about the shot..

Ginger capsules work wonders. Totally natural remedy. Trick is to be proactive and take them before you leave port. They don't make you drowsy and you can still enjoy cocktails. These have worked for my family on each of our 10 cruises. We've never felt sea sickness. I do bring along Bonine in case there are any rough sea days, just for added assurance. And my teen daughter feels more secure wearing the sea bands along with taking the ginger. Again, be proactive. Once you start feeling sick, it can be too late for some of these remedies. Enjoy your cruise!

What is the ingredient in the shot the infirmary gives? Does that make you tired too? Sea bands I wear for normal shaking but last cruise had 8-10 ft seas and the bands did nothing. Dramamine even less drowsy also makes me sleep. Tried the patch years ago and dry mouth, blurry vision and no appetite were my side effects.. Curious about the shot..

I don't think the nurse told me what was in the shot. She just had a tray with a syringe when she showed up at the cabin. This was many years ago before all the legal/HIIPA stuff started and they were much more casual. Didn't get charged for it.I did fall asleep but woke up around 4 hours later and the seasickness was completely gone plus I had no side effects.

I don't think the nurse told me what was in the shot. She just had a tray with a syringe when she showed up at the cabin. This was many years ago before all the legal/HIIPA and they were much more casual. Didn't get charged for it.I did fall asleep but woke up around 4 hours later and the seasickness was completely gone plus I had no side effects.
I had the same experience and it was over 20 years ago. the shot and it cost all of $5. I slept for a few hours and sickness was completely gone and stayed gone. Easy easy...have no idea what's in the shot.

I'm another Bonine person! Except I take it at bedtime, starting the night before my cruise. It does make me a bit drowsy at first, so I get a great night's sleep and feel great all day. I use it for cruises, amusement parks, small boat rides and ferries, and twisty mountain roads! Works great! I also keep ginger candies handy just in case!!

25 mg. Meclizine (generic Bonine) is available at Walmart. It is in a purple carton and is labeled Motion Sickness Relief (Less Drowsy).

The price is $1.47 for 8 tablets. That is not $1.47 per tablet, it is $1.47 for all 8 tablets.

Another vote for Bonine/Meclizine/Less drowsy Dramamine (They're all the same thing).

My Story:

I used to take Bonine with no side effects at all. Somehow in recent years, I started feeling very drowsy after taking them. So I stopped using them for a few years. This year, I found the optimal dosage to be 1/4 of a tablet (~6 mg) for me to not get sea sick and not be drowsy. I suspect the reason why some people could take the full dose without feeling drowsy and some couldn't is because of their body weight. When I think back, I actually lost quite a bit of weight in recent years compare to before. So if Bonine makes you drowsy, try reducing the dosage to see. It worked on me even for just 1/4 of a tablet!