Asia Cruises & the Food

I am interesting in taking an RCCL (or Celebrity) cruise departing Asia; most likely Hong Kong or Singapore. My understanding is that the cruise line caters these cruises to the locals. I've been on many cruises departing the United States, Europe and the Caribbean and I am very familiar with the food options that are available.

Do the cruises that depart Asia have the same western themed food as the primary food options or what should I expect?

Cruises out from Singapore generally has the usual menu served elsewhere with maybe a few changes to the dishes to suit local taste but the menu is still generally quite westernized.

For cruises departing from Hong Kong, there will be an Asian selection added to the menu but there will still be a few western items on the menu.

We sailed out of Singapore with RCI (Mariner I think) about 5 years ago. We had a great cruise but it was quite different to our usual Europe/Caribbean ones. The food in the main dining room was broadly similar to the usual menu but there was more Asian choices than usual. The Windjammer was noticeably different, even at breakfast. We love Asian food so it was great for us (but not fried rice for breakfast!). The ship was predominately Asian passengers and announcements and signage was in English/Chinese. A couple of bars were taken out of use and more gambling options was evident. Few of the Asian passengers sat at bars and many hardly had any customers a lot of the time so the atmosphere was rather flat in the evening. The sundecks were deserted a lot of the time too, they tended to sit inside the Solarium drinking from tea from teapots and flasks they carried around with them. It was a very interesting cruise but very different to what we'd experienced before.

• 1 month later...
I am interesting in taking an RCCL (or Celebrity) cruise departing Asia; most likely Hong Kong or Singapore. My understanding is that the cruise line caters these cruises to the locals. I've been on many cruises departing the United States, Europe and the Caribbean and I am very familiar with the food options that are available.

Do the cruises that depart Asia have the same western themed food as the primary food options or what should I expect?

The cruise ships that leave from International ports (plus PR), will have some differences, but it is still an American cruise. As far as food, it is "mostly" the same, but they will change the comfort foods to Asian foods. This goes the same for all meals. The windjammer is the same, but with more Asian dishes. On some of the MDR dishes, they will at times, change the sides, based on what they can get. Common change was having Bok Choy instead of asparagus. The same goes for other items that they must fill the ship with, including beer. Yes, all the common ones are available, but remember, what is domestic is not domestic any more. So you will see domestic beers also on the menu. Overall, the food was just fine. On a side note, if you are going to Asia, why would you be concerned about eating Asian food? Isn't food part of the overall travel experience?

As far as entertainment goes, you will have some changes, and more local entertainment. Many cases, it is more visual acts than talking, so you can still enjoy it. Most things and announcements are in both languages, so no real issues there.

Remember, the USA/Europe are very similar cultures. Remember, Asian is completely different culture. That's what makes Asia so much more fun and enriching to visit.

want to sail cruise on november 2018, from singapore to 3 days please suggest which is best in economy range.

Going to suggest a good travel agent who specializes in cruises to best answer this question. And welcome to Cruise Critic.