Who has been on Breakaway with kids around 4 - 6?

ktmac1

I booked Burn the Floor (think they'd be into that) - and Cirque. Heard to be on the look up for some shows I can't pre-book. Any not to miss for this age? The little one is quite brave but has a weird random fear of anyone in a mask. She's cool with creepy witches but man if Peter Rabbit hops her way she does her best ostrich impersonation and won't pick her head back up till she's certain the coast is clear.

They won't like the really big slides - but the splash pool slide won't hold their interest long. Are there any in-between options?

Are there other activities we should look to do? I heard rock climbing. The 6 year old loves it at birthday parties - not sure if this is more intense.

It's going to be a crazy busy kids week because I'm traveling from NYC on NJ teachers convention break. So if there are activities they are old enough for, would like to plan ahead and figure out good times to check them out.

Any evening activities? I know Disney had some shows and fireworks and things on occasion on the top decks. They normally go to bed early but... it is vacation. ;)

I know there is Splash Academy but even on the Disney cruise they weren't huge fans of being there long, plus in this one they can't be together (which will be a problem for them) but quite frankly we are kinda looking forward to hanging out with them while they still think we are cool. Or at least I keep telling myself that in anticipation that we won't be able to unload them. ;)

Thanks in advance!

I was on the Getaway not the Breakaway, but for your questions, I think it will be similar.

We were on there with a 6-yr-old boy at the time. He both goes to Splash Academy and hang out with us and he had a great time! He loved swimming in the kids pool area and he is a huge hot tub junkie. He actually really loved the big slides (we sandwiched him with my husband going down first and then me going after him). There's also the sports deck with the Spiderman type net you climb up and then slide down a slide -- loved that! Loved mini golf and the ropes course as well.

When we were on the Getaway, they had Illusionarium and he loved that show, but he doesn't sit for the big productions. I saw Burn the Floor and the costumes are neat -- a bit suggestive in places, but the kids should love Cirque too. There is so much to love and do. There is always trivia and games. Check the dailies for activities and talk through it together with the kids. We bring a highlighter and highlight the ones he wants to do.

HTH. Have a great time!

I will be on the Breakaway in 3 weeks with my 3 year old. I can report back on some of this. We will not be bringing her to burn the floor or Cirque but can let you know about other family friendly activities that they have. We are hoping that she will do splash a decent amount. It will be her first time being able to go to the kids club but she is now in daycare and preschool so we think she may enjoy it.

I do believe that there is a ropes course for the younger kids. I can report back on how that is. From pictures I've seen it looks like it is more like a jungle gym type thing you would see at a playground.

Let me know if you have anything in particular that you want me to try to find out for you.

I will be on the Breakaway in 3 weeks with my 3 year old. I can report back on some of this. We will not be bringing her to burn the floor or Cirque but can let you know about other family friendly activities that they have. We are hoping that she will do splash a decent amount. It will be her first time being able to go to the kids club but she is now in daycare and preschool so we think she may enjoy it.

I do believe that there is a ropes course for the younger kids. I can report back on how that is. From pictures I've seen it looks like it is more like a jungle gym type thing you would see at a playground.

Let me know if you have anything in particular that you want me to try to find out for you.

Looks like I'll be able to do the same for you. We go on the sailing the week before! :) I didn't know there was a little kids ropes course. They will love that. I'll let you know how the 4 year old handles Burn the Floor. I have high hopes!

Been on Breakaway when our youngest was 5 and 6. She loved Cirque and had a great time overall. The mini-golf was fun as was the bowling lanes (can't call that an alley) when it worked. But she also really enjoyed Splash Academy.

My first post! We were on the Breakaway out of NYC last year (June 2016) with our two kids - 5 yr old boy, 4 yr old girl at the time. They went to the Splash Academy for a couple of hours on most days, and they were able to be in the same age grouping. They enjoyed the princess parade, spy theme, pajama party, jungle theme, if I'm remembering correctly. On a couple of nights, my husband and I would take them to the buffet for their dinner, then we would drop them off at Splash Academy so that we could go to Cagney's and Ocean Blue. The kids liked La Cucina. Most of the time we ate at the MDR's otherwise, with some buffet breakfasts. The kids enjoyed mini golf, the arcade, the low ropes course, and especially the Spider Mountain climbing thing. They also liked the kids splash pool but would not go on any slides. As a family we also did pizza making, button making and cupcake decorating. They did not see any of the live shows.

This year, we are going on the Breakaway out of NYC during teacher's convention week (we are in NJ), and we will try La Cucina and Teppanyaki as a family for the specialty restaurants, and I made a reservation for Burn the Floor for the four of us as well. I anticipate also trying family karaoke and the kid-friendly improv show this time.

We splurged this year & have the Haven aft 1-bedroom with the large balcony on deck 9, so we are hoping they will also have more room to play in our room (legos, etc.) than last year,and they also will be able to order movies for free. The kids loved the cruise last year, will be older at 7 and 5, and I know it will be crowded this year, but we got a deal on the Haven that we could not pass up (all the promotions, 3rd & 4th free, etc.) Maybe we'll see you in a few weeks!!!

Some of the things my 6 year old really enjoyed on the Breakaway 2 weeks ago:

Miniature golf

Life size outdoor chess game

Ropes course and the spider mountain climb

BURN THE FLOOR- we did the show in the theater AND 2 dinners at the Manhattan club when Burn the Floor was performing. We got there early and had a table both times right next to the dance floor. The dancers were great and would wink or touch my daughters hair etc. She was mesmerized and felt incredibly special when a dancer winked at her!

Towel animal folding demonstration in the atrium (we didn't do it this past cruise but on several other Breakaway cruises) She begged me to purchase the $10.00 dvd so she could do them at home.

Splash Academy- especially the "late night" after hours academy. Most days she wanted to stay because they were doing gaga ball or something extra special not done during the day. This late night runs from 10:30 pm-1:30 am and cost $6.00 per hour or $10.00 per hour for 2 children.

The blue and yellow water slides. My daughter was petrified of the big water slides and for several cruises wouldn't go near them but this last cruise she decided to try after a friend of hers from splash academy was going down them. SHE LOVED THEM! Couldn't get enough and went down them non stop for hours. She said the blue and yellow ones are not scary at all.

Beauty and the Beast movie in the theater (the new one with Emma Watson). About half way through the cruise they did a movie night in the theater it was awesome. Free bags of popcorn made it even better (bring bottled water no beverages were given out but popcorn was unlimited).

Howl at the moon (9-11pm). The first two hours of the show children are welcome and the kids had fun requesting their favorite songs. A lot of fun hearing the songs from "frozen" etc. sung with dueling pianos. This one was a lot of fun for me too! Bring a couple of singles to give with your song requests and it will get done for sure ;)

Her all time favorite of course was the self serve ice cream machine in the buffet lol. Something magical about swirling your own ice cream into a cone. I kind of liked this one a lot myself ;)

Can anyone help me with the waterslide height requirement? NCL FAQ indicates 42 inches for Whip and Familly slides and I find a picture from the ship showing 40 inches (see attached). Which one is right? And which one is appled by the crew?

nb_0275.jpg

Found this on a thread from 2014. Don't know if it's still the case.

There are 5 slides on the Breakaway. The open Blue one and the twisting enclosed Yellow and Pink ones have a 40" min. The two Freefall slides are 48".