Panama Canal Experienced Cruisers

jogr

We are planning our first Panama Canal cruise in March of 2019.

I have a question about which side of the ship our balcony would be the best for views. Fort Lauderdale to San Diego is the route we will be taking.

Also, would you recommend the Volendam or the Nieuw Amsterdam? I think it would be a no brainer to choose the Nieuw over Volendam since it's newer and a bit bigger, but not a huge ship.

I have a question about which side of the ship our balcony would be the best for views. Fort Lauderdale to San Diego is the route we will be taking.

Also, would you recommend the Volendam or the Nieuw Amsterdam? I think it would be a no brainer to choose the Nieuw over Volendam since it's newer and a bit bigger, but not a huge ship.

Having done this trip three time, last in April this year, and going west to San Diego I would do the Nieuw and choose Port side. Going thru East to West most of the lock activity will be Port plus great views of the Panama City skyline. Great trip, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also choose the N.A. and port side, but strongly suggest you don't stay in your cabin while going through the canal. Get up early and out to the bow or a forward deck as you approach the first lock. As you are going into the 3rd lock go down to the promenade and walk toward the stern to see how close you are to the lock walls, then go to the stern to see the view as you exit into Lake Gatun. Move around as you are going through the Culebra Cut and Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks to see it from many angles!

We have done the canal twice from east to west and will be doing the canal again from west to east in April 2018 on the Maasdam. Don't stay in one place on the ship while going thru the canal. Go to the stern and see what other ships are following you thru the locks. Go to the bow and on both the port and starboard sides of the ship on the Promenade deck for different views of the traffic going thru the canal. Don't miss the Panama Buns that HAL serves on the bow and outer decks during the morning, they are very good.

I would also choose the N.A. and port side, but strongly suggest you don't stay in your cabin while going through the canal. Get up early and out to the bow or a forward deck as you approach the first lock. As you are going into the 3rd lock go down to the promenade and walk toward the stern to see how close you are to the lock walls, then go to the stern to see the view as you exit into Lake Gatun. Move around as you are going through the Culebra Cut and Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks to see it from many angles!

I've done it 4 times from FLL to Van, and I agree with this. Also agree with opting for the NA. Be all over the ship during the transit, as both sides have very different views and neither is to be missed. Going into the locks, try to be on one of the forward-facing balconies. The one in front of the gym is a good vantage point. The bow can get a little crowded. And don't forget to look for the Panama buns!

I would choose the side of your balcony based on your preferences for the sun. Once you leave the Canal heading up to SD, morning sun will basically be on the starboard side.

I totally agree with the other posters about catching the sights from various vantage points during your transit. While there might be a few more specific items of interest I could point to on the port side during the transit, both sides are great and worth a look.

I don't know your budget, but the Neptune Suites on the aft corners of the NA offer a 270 degree field of view, as well as a closeup view of the locks closing feet from your veranda. You're taking a special trip and these suites offer special views.

The NA offers more dining options and space to roam. We'll be on her in a couple of weeks, but were on her sister, the Eurodam, last January and loved the layout.

We have done the full transit quite a few times -- both directions.

All but once we chose the port side.

You will want to get out and watch the ship head into the first set of locks. Very interesting.

I also would choose the Nieuw Amsterdam -- love the Tamarind Restaurant for dinner and the Silk Den for cocktails.

Don't forget to try the Panama Buns -- they are only available on the day you go through the canal.

You will also want to be up early to watch the approach to the locks -- passing by tons of freighters with their lights on - some waiting for their turn to go through the locks.

I don't know your budget, but the Neptune Suites on the aft corners of the NA offer a 270 degree field of view, as well as a closeup view of the locks closing feet from your veranda. You're taking a special trip and these suites offer special views.

The NA offers more dining options and space to roam. We'll be on her in a couple of weeks, but were on her sister, the Eurodam, last January and loved the layout.

That's exactly what I thought when we booked our Panama Canal Seafarer leaving 15 November. We have 8140, on the aft-port corner of the Zuiderdam. Can't wait to leave in three weeks and at least see SOME of the Panama Canal....

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

I am thinking of booking a Panama Cruise also and I appreciate all the information about the port side. I was thinking of choosing starboard because I thought the views would be better heading up the coast to SD. I guess you are too far off shore to actually view the countries you are passing. Also the comment about the starboard having more morning sun was informative. Thanks to all the experienced Panama Canal cruisers for their input.