Carnivals Protection Plan Question

Ocean Spirit

Our friend who is traveling & sharing a cabin with my adult son on the Dream next month, had a heart attack and not sure if he will be able to go. He and my son both purchased the Protection Plan. (I usually purchase insurance from a 3rd company)

My son will go ahead and sail even if our friend can't.

Not having the Protection Agreement from Carnival before, what exactly does that mean for our friend if he cancels? Does he lose all of the cost of the cruise? Will my son have to pay for a Single? I always thought it just covered issues while on the cruise.

Would greatly appreciate any input from those that have experienced using the Protection Plan with Carnival.

Carnival has already been paid for the cabin.

Carnival's insurer will reimburse (partially or in full according to the coverage) the passenger who had the heart attack in accordance with the coverage.

The proper thing to do is have the one who is cancelling get a copy of the policy declarations/coverage from Carnival or their insurer - only that will properly answer your inquiry.

Update - check this thread -- https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54402221&posted=1#post54402221

Edited by lizardhowson

Your sons friend will have to cancel and file a claim with the insurance.

He will most likely get all of his money back due to this most likely being a "covered" reason. ***** Notice the disclaimer "most likely". I can't say for sure. I'm not the Claims Adjuster. *****

It may be possible that 1 of 3 things can happen. Your son would have to call the insurance company to find out what options are available.

1. MAYBE he can cancel also and get all his money back due to his cabinmate falling ill.

2. MAYBE he can find someone else to fill his cabinmates spot. (That person would still have to pay since insurance is reimbursing the original cabinmate.

3. MAYBE he can still go and the insurance will reimburse him for the Single Supplement that Carnival may charge him.