Celebrity Misleading Advertizing

dj_crusin

Say what? You only spent an hour and a half on the phone with Celebrity? I just spent three days. Someone on my post spent three weeks and then gave up and abandoned the cruise entirely. Try being a single person and try to get an agent to book you into a cabin, and see the fiasco. Yes, Celebrity is guilty of false advertising, and yes Celebrity's website is a disaster, even though this is their "new" website which was supposed to correct the problems with their old website. I understand (but don't like) being charged double as a single person to have a cabin to myself. HOWEVER, Celebrity won't let a single person book the lower priced cabins, so they try to make a single pay MORE than double for a cabin. Which to me is total discrimination to make a single person pay more than the total that two people would for their cabin. If you complain, and sit on the phone forever, someone in "Revenue Department" will override the system and let you book for "only" double the cost which is still not a great deal given a single person doesn't eat twice as much food and doesn't take up space in the dining room or theaters, etc.. But most agents and supervisors do not know about this mysterious "override" that is needed for single people and won't even inquire about it. I have complained to Celebrity for the past 10 years about this override system, and they refuse to change it. And they refuse to stop confusing people with their misleading advertising. And as someone has stated on here, they suddenly increase the price dramatically and then offer you free "perks" that essentially you are paying for. I get emails all of the time advertising these low prices and they never exist. Ever. Such a shame to give themselves such a bad reputation as once they lose a customer, they likely will not be able to lure them back. I am sailing with Celebrity but tired of the hassle just to book a cruise.

I understand (but don't like) being charged double as a single person to have a cabin to myself. HOWEVER, Celebrity won't let a single person book the lower priced cabins, so they try to make a single pay MORE than double for a cabin. Which to me is total discrimination to make a single person pay more than the total that two people would for their cabin. If you complain, and sit on the phone forever, someone in "Revenue Department" will override the system and let you book for "only" double the cost which is still not a great deal given a single person doesn't eat twice as much food and doesn't take up space in the dining room or theaters, etc.. But most agents and supervisors do not know about this mysterious "override" that is needed for single people and won't even inquire about it. I have complained to Celebrity for the past 10 years about this override system, and they refuse to change it. And they refuse to stop confusing people with their misleading advertising. And as someone has stated on here, they suddenly increase the price dramatically and then offer you free "perks" that essentially you are paying for. I get emails all of the time advertising these low prices and they never exist. Ever. Such a shame to give themselves such a bad reputation as once they lose a customer, they likely will not be able to lure them back. I am sailing with Celebrity but tired of the hassle just to book a cruise.

Why not just book it as two people and when you check in just say my friend got sick and could not make the trip? Use a friends name, your sibling, parents or whatever just to make the booking.

Say what? You only spent an hour and a half on the phone with Celebrity? I just spent three days. Someone on my post spent three weeks and then gave up and abandoned the cruise entirely. Try being a single person and try to get an agent to book you into a cabin, and see the fiasco. Yes, Celebrity is guilty of false advertising, and yes Celebrity's website is a disaster, even though this is their "new" website which was supposed to correct the problems with their old website. I understand (but don't like) being charged double as a single person to have a cabin to myself. HOWEVER, Celebrity won't let a single person book the lower priced cabins, so they try to make a single pay MORE than double for a cabin. Which to me is total discrimination to make a single person pay more than the total that two people would for their cabin. If you complain, and sit on the phone forever, someone in "Revenue Department" will override the system and let you book for "only" double the cost which is still not a great deal given a single person doesn't eat twice as much food and doesn't take up space in the dining room or theaters, etc.. But most agents and supervisors do not know about this mysterious "override" that is needed for single people and won't even inquire about it. I have complained to Celebrity for the past 10 years about this override system, and they refuse to change it. And they refuse to stop confusing people with their misleading advertising. And as someone has stated on here, they suddenly increase the price dramatically and then offer you free "perks" that essentially you are paying for. I get emails all of the time advertising these low prices and they never exist. Ever. Such a shame to give themselves such a bad reputation as once they lose a customer, they likely will not be able to lure them back. I am sailing with Celebrity but tired of the hassle just to book a cruise.

I have heard people talk about something called airbnb. Maybe you could rent out half your cabin that way?

I must say...ive NEVER seen a balcony cabin WITH perks for 950....

Last year I booked a Celebrity Suite for $1900 USD pp (or $2200 CAD as in our case) - ALL four perks included; 12 Nights (Israel & the Med). This price was BEFORE final payment as well!!!

Yes, deals are far and few between, but they are out there ... "timing is everything" - being in the right spot (on line looking) at the right time (they can go as fast as they appear).

Heather

Why not just book it as two people and when you check in just say my friend got sick and could not make the trip? Use a friends name, your sibling, parents or whatever just to make the booking.

t - Great idea, no need to spend time on phone, etc. trying to fight for something like this.

In fact on a previous post, a single person indicated that is how they handle it if the single supplement was more than 100%.

No muss no fuss and X usually will have no idea or care.... If is was a 'special' weekly fare, that may be a different issue, then again it could go smoothly pending on value compared to booking regularly, if the overall fare is lower, then pricing issues solved.

Or so I believe, at this juncture. I do not think that I, personally, will be booking as a single anytime soon... then again LOL

bon voyage