Towel Animals and Tipping

swimmingotter

So much controversy! I left $20 the first night along with some requests (ie extra towels, robes, ice water, empty fridge, etc) and then $80 and a hero card at the end because our room steward was excellent. I believe he would've been excellent whether or not we tipped the first day. He was just that kind of guy. It was actually sad saying goodbye at the end of our cruise.

I believe he would've been excellent whether or not we tipped the first day.
If someone wants to tip upfront, that is their prerogrative. I think what some are saying is that they get the same great service without tipping upfront. Your Cabin Steward sounds similar to the ones I've always gotten; someone who takes pride in their job and always goes an additional mile for their passengers.

Some folk are tip crazy. Tipping each day to get towel animals [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL. As they say, one man's trash is another's treasure. I have been cruising since the 90's and at first, towel animals seemed interesting. Now, I have no interest and simply won't have the cabin steward do something I do not want.

Every cruise now, there are two things I tell the cabin steward when he introduces himself:

**No ice

**No towel animals

28 days from my cruise on Epic and I prepaid the "service charge". I have no plans on tipping my room steward unless I make a special request. I expect good service and could care less about towel animals.

Ah, you should BenDover.

My husband and I have been on a few cruises, all with NCL, except one with Holland America.

We always give our cabin steward $20 on the first day. Not as a bribe, not expecting anything. In fact, we don't really require or ask for much. We tell the steward that we don't need towel animals. I know lots of folks love them. We used to really get a kick out of them, but now I would rather just save them the time it takes to make ours. We tell them they don't need to make our bed up or down. In the morning, I just flip the covers up: presto, bed is made.

I tell them when I need towels, I will let them know. When I need the trash emptied, I will let them know. If I want ice, I will let them know.

Works well for us that way!