Beach and/or downtown and sunset at Paradise Point

oceanseagle12

It looks like we are a go for our Allure sailing at the end of November. St Thomas is one of my all-time favorites and I’m glad to be on one of the first sailings back. But I need some help figuring out a plan. Group of 4 adults, including two first time cruisers. I want them to see and experience at least some of what I have before.

Have always docked at Havensight, so that’s what I’m used to. This time is Crown Bay. My thought right now is to perhaps spend some time at a beach, and/or Downtown Charlotte Amalie. Beach preferably close but will keep posted on conditions in the next few weeks.

Since we are there from 11-8, I’d love to take advantage of our later departure by capping the day with sunset at Paradise Point. This assumes they are back up and running. Have read they have sunset parties on Wednesday, which is the day we are there.

Just need feedback on best way to do these things. Particularly, getting back to ship from Paradise Point. Will there be taxis at top? Or plenty at bottom to get us back to ship in time?

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Emerald Beach, which is literally over the hill form the Crown Bay, faces West, and so does Brewer's Bay Beach. Both will have outstanding views of the sunset, I have personally witnessed sunset at Emeral Beach. You could get off of your ship as early as possible, make it to the beach no later than 11;45 having already eaten lunch onboard, and spend the entirety of the day off of the ship, tanning at the beach. Then, you can get an exquisite sunset picture, complete with waves and palm trees. This will save you all the money in taxis and Paradise Point admission, as well as the time it will take you to get around. I think you have a great plan put together, but it is only really ideal if you are docking in Havensight in terms of the maximization of your time and money on the island. Just an alternate thought!

Well, Emerald Beach, which is literally over the hill form the Crown Bay, faces West, and so does Brewer's Bay Beach. Both will have outstanding views of the sunset, I have personally witnessed sunset at Emeral Beach. You could get off of your ship as early as possible, make it to the beach no later than 11;45 having already eaten lunch onboard, and spend the entirety of the day off of the ship, tanning at the beach. Then, you can get an exquisite sunset picture, complete with waves and palm trees. This will save you all the money in taxis and Paradise Point admission, as well as the time it will take you to get around. I think you have a great plan put together, but it is only really ideal if you are docking in Havensight in terms of the maximization of your time and money on the island. Just an alternate thought!

Will keep that in mind. Thank you.

See post#6 in this thread for info on Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach). Not a good choice for your beach time -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2555152

Sapphire is a 40 minute taxi but would be our choice based on the current conditions throughout the island. If PP is open, Sapphire and a stop at PP for the view and as the sun sets is a perfect day for your friends. Yes you’ll have to take taxis, and that will not be a problem from PP if it’s open. You can take the tram down (one-way) to get a taxi as well.

Hopefuly someone there can let you know if PP is open.

If you want to stay close to Crown and chance having amenities at the Emerald Beach Resort or Island Beachcomber just be sure to check the latest water quality report at VInow before getting into the water. Taxi drivers will know the status of the resort, but do not rely on them for water quality information.

See post#6 in this thread for info on Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach). Not a good choice for your beach time -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2555152

Sapphire is a 40 minute taxi but would be our choice based on the current conditions throughout the island. If PP is open, Sapphire and a stop at PP for the view and as the sun sets is a perfect day for your friends. Yes you’ll have to take taxis, and that will not be a problem from PP if it’s open. You can take the tram down (one-way) to get a taxi as well.

Hopefuly someone there can let you know if PP is open.

If you want to stay close to Crown and chance having amenities at the Emerald Beach Resort or Island Beachcomber just be sure to check the latest water quality report at VInow before getting into the water. Taxi drivers will know the status of the resort, but do not rely on them for water quality information.

Thanks so much. Would you suggest downtown first, then beach?

If doing Lindbergh yes, head downtown first, drop your things and change at the ship, then enjoy the beach. If Sapphire or Coki we’d probably hit Charlotte Amalie on the way back, but I don’t know how many stores will be open late?

Paradise Point hasn't reopened, unfortunately. The best sunset view closest to Crown Bay would be Victor's New Hideout Restaurant, but heard his restaurant was damaged during the storms so he may have some type of mobile/temporary food/drink set-up now. If the restaurant at Lindbergh Bay Villas is open, that might be another good sunset viewing option. You can ask at Emerald Beach Resort if the Lindbergh Bay Villa restaurant is open in the evening when you arrive. It's a beautiful walk around the grounds of Lindbergh Bay Villas in the daytime.

I hear Lindbergh Bay was drastically changed by the storm, because prior dredging in the bay created conditions for sand on a part of the beach is no longer there. Somebody may have posted photos online so you can get an idea. I haven't taken time to look for photos, so can't post a link.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a caution, that St. Thomas and the other USVI islands are on Atlantic Time, there is no Daylight Savings. So if your ship departs at 8, be sure to consider that. Another option is to take the ferry from Crown Bay to Water Island. They have just reopened the restaurant there, and Honeymoon Beach is worth the visit. Check the water quality on VInow, before you head to any beach. They test the quality weekly. Sadly Paradise Point is still closed, as others have already mentioned.

Just a caution, that St. Thomas and the other USVI islands are on Atlantic Time, there is no Daylight Savings. So if your ship departs at 8, be sure to consider that. Another option is to take the ferry from Crown Bay to Water Island. They have just reopened the restaurant there, and Honeymoon Beach is worth the visit. Check the water quality on VInow, before you head to any beach. They test the quality weekly. Sadly Paradise Point is still closed, as others have already mentioned.

FYI - Government does not test the water quality at Honeymoon Beach if this is important to you.

As noted elsewhere the “Recovery Blog” on VInow dot com is a great source for updates on beach conditions, water quality, and the status of hotels and resorts. You can rely on taxi drivers for information on what beaches have amenities, etc, but use this resource and others when it comes to water quality and other safety concerns.

Also, as another posted mentioned, water shoes are highly recommended as there is the potential for debris in the water from the hurricanes that could cause real harm.

The beaches currently making the “no swim” list are Secret Harbor, Water Bay, Coki Point and Brewer’s Bay. Frenchman’s and Morningstar have not yet been tested, and as mentioned by Livethelife Honeymoon on Water Island is not included in this list.

So just check the latest updates on the blog before as you get closer to your cruise.

Safe Travels! ;)

Am I thinking about this wrong? I was thinking the time difference would actually provide EXTRA time after sunset, not less like you seem to be thinking. BUT I am the first to admit that I'm desperately in need of vacation, so I'm not sure my brain is fully functional right now. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Am I thinking about this wrong? I was thinking the time difference would actually provide EXTRA time after sunset, not less like you seem to be thinking. BUT I am the first to admit that I'm desperately in need of vacation, so I'm not sure my brain is fully functional right now. :D

You have extra time before the sunset. No Daylight Savings Time, so if it's 5 PM Eastern Time, It's 6 PM Atlantic Standard Time. You want to keep that in mind so you don't miss your ship!

You have extra time before the sunset. No Daylight Savings Time, so if it's 5 PM Eastern Time, It's 6 PM Atlantic Standard Time. You want to keep that in mind so you don't miss your ship!

It is actually the opposite. It is currently 11:00AM eastern time/ship time. And noon Atlantic time. The sun will set at 441 ship time, which will be 541 local time. So we will have 2.5 hours after sunset to get onboard.