Post Bariatric surgery diet question

DanishBeauty

I am having Gastric Bypass surgery next month and cruising the end of January. If I contact Carnival beforehand will they provide me with special low fat low sugar choices for meals? Examples would be grilled chicken and fish without any sauces, low fat milk and low fat cottage cheese.

Also will I be allowed to bring onboard a twelve pack of high protein shakes that are packaged in a closed cardboard container?

I was going to postpone my surgery till after the cruise but because of health insurance issues I must have it before the end of this year.

Thanks for any advice.

You can order any of the entrees without the sauce if you need to. My DH likes his food plain and has had no problems when ordering dishes "naked".

If you google "Carnival American Table Menu" you can see examples of what's available. I think you'll be surprised how much of it you can eat.:)

I am having Gastric Bypass surgery next month and cruising the end of January. If I contact Carnival beforehand will they provide me with special low fat low sugar choices for meals? Examples would be grilled chicken and fish without any sauces, low fat milk and low fat cottage cheese.

Also will I be allowed to bring onboard a twelve pack of high protein shakes that are packaged in a closed cardboard container?

I was going to postpone my surgery till after the cruise but because of health insurance issues I must have it before the end of this year.

Thanks for any advice.

From the Guests with Disabilities section ( https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx ) ...

"Carnival can provide our guests with meals suited to the following special dietary needs: vegetarian, low-cholesterol, low-fat, low-carbohydrates, low-sugar, and gluten free. Our chefs will make every effort to fulfill your requests, and will gladly prepare freshly-made options that meet your dietary needs. Once on board, we ask you speak with the headwaiter or dining room host in advance, so they can assist in planning your daily meals in the dining room. This will allow us the necessary time to prepare foods, as requested, in a timely manner.

Gluten-free pizza dough, pasta, bread for deli sandwiches, and hamburgers buns, as well as cake are available upon request. Plus, our frozen desserts and yogurt are gluten-free. All items are freshly prepared and may take a little longer than regular menu items. Gluten-free beer, Estrella Daura, is available for your enjoyment.

We also provide prepackaged kosher meals. If you're requesting kosher meals, you must let us know two weeks advance of your cruise.

Guests who require a different dining time than they chose when booking can request can change once on board the ship. Guests will be accommodated on a first come, first served basis.

Food Allergies:

We ask that you please inform our dining team of any food allergies and special preparation you may require to accommodate your allergy. Please discuss this the first evening of your cruise. Although there are a number of options at our various restaurants, special dietary and food requests can be accommodated in our main dining rooms only.

Other Dietary Needs:

Although we do not have dietitians on board, we can offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. Diet requirements need to be arranged with the head waiter on the first night of the cruise. If dining in the Lido Restaurant, the guest should discuss requirements with senior dining staff.

If you need general information about accessibility before you cruise, please call our Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744 ext.70025 or email specialneeds@carnival.com. If you have an ADA complaint, please email us at access@carnival.com. Carnival's designated ADA Responsibility Officer is Vicky Rey, Vice President Guest Care and Port Services."

Prior to boarding you (or your doctor) can try the above contact methods to find out the current proceedure for being able to bring medically required food or beverages on board that do not meet the current luggage or carry-on restrictions. Make sure whatever they tell you, that they send it to in writing as well.

When my father was being treated for cancer, he wanted 1 last cruise. Mom had his doctor contact the above department to accept a delivery of 2 cases Muscle Milk and some specially prepared powdered foods by MSKCC. Every thing was sent from the hospital to the ship and placed in his cabin (though initially the second case of the Muscle Milk was stored in he Medical Bay). The crew was not premitted to prepare any of the powdered foods but they did provide mom with a boiled water "bath" as needed to heat the Muscle Milk to mix in with the powder suppliment food.

In the MDR the hostess each night would come by the table to get his orders for all of the meals he would attend there the next day from a binder with a bunch of special menus. Also after watching my mom shred boiled chicken (from the cardiac menu) for my father for fresh protein the head waiter the next night had his fish already fork shredded so mom could eat her dinner while still hot. For the rest of the 10 day cruise one waiter or another would shred or cut to toddler size pieces what ever meat he ordered.

I had full gastric bypass several years ago. I don't think I was allowed to eat anything but soft food for about 10+ weeks. I drank Carnation sugar free breakfast shakes that I mixed with nonfat milk. I ate a lot of mashed potatoes, jello, oatmeal, grits, soup, scrambled eggs.

When I did start adding back solid food and on the ship I found fish to be the easiest to not get stuck on. Chicken had to be cut really small and chewed well. I could only eat about 1/4 of what was on my plate, so instead of salad with dinner I had soup, and I don't eat bread because when you can only hold about 1/2 cup of food, and you are suppose to eat your proteins first, bread is just not in the cards for me.

I also had no appetite for about 6 months after surgery and you probably won't either.

Good luck, but it's really worth the effort and it's totally doable on the ship.

I lost 130lbs in about 10 months.

I agree with several others who say contact Carnival... and get their response in writing, and bring a copy of it with you... the folks who do security screening are not employed by Carnival and often will have differing opinions on what is allowed. If you have an email or letter from Carnival indicating they pre-approved it, it will bolster your argument to bring it onboard with you.

And Murphy's Law being what it is, if you're prepared they probably won't even blink at the case of protein shakes, but it could be a major hassle if you're NOT prepared!

If anything postpone the cruise not the surgery.

This seems to make the most sense truthfully. I have known 2 people that had this surgery and they would not have been ready to cruise (away from their doctors and hospital care in case of emergency) in that short of a time. One experienced constant pain and had very little appetite which gave her very low energy and several trips to her doctor (she never thought in a million years she would be in so much pain but you never know until you go through it). The other woman (someone I worked with at the time) was out of work a couple weeks longer than anticipated and really struggled with the routine of adjusting her eating habits which caused pain even if she deviated a tiny bit. She too was very tired and low energy. It took her about 4 months before she started feeling normal again and could resume a full active life.

Make sure you have cancel for any reason travel insurance, this is the ultimate reason to have it as you know what you are getting into and have NO idea how you will feel after the fact. Leave yourself an out at least.

I had surgery 08-27-13 and cruised 10-24-13. I had the blessing of my surgeon. I brought a 12 pack of Premier Protein Shakes and also powered protein powder. I had more luck eating meals in the buffet, more choices. In MDR I would order 1 appetizer and that was it. I would take a bite of a families entree if I wanted. I exercised every morning, packed my own "snacks" for excursions and lost 4lbs that week. If your surgeon is okay with you going, go for it! Any type of medical issue can happen, so be prepared with insurance.

I sailed 9 months post-op. Bring your shakes (I assume Premier) in cartons and that’s fine. No need to contact special needs. Order fish without sauce. Or share with your significant other. You’ll only need/want a bite or two.

Go and enjoy. A cruise is NOT all about the food. Don’t panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had surgery 08-27-13 and cruised 10-24-13. I had the blessing of my surgeon. I brought a 12 pack of Premier Protein Shakes and also powered protein powder. I had more luck eating meals in the buffet, more choices. In MDR I would order 1 appetizer and that was it. I would take a bite of a families entree if I wanted. I exercised every morning, packed my own "snacks" for excursions and lost 4lbs that week. If your surgeon is okay with you going, go for it! Any type of medical issue can happen, so be prepared with insurance.

About onshore foods. Only commercially prepared, packaged are allowed off the ship. No meats, cheeses, fruits. Many ports either hand search or have dogs.

I had surgery December 2006 and cruised August 2007. I was able to eat mostly everything with no special arrangements needed. I mostly ordered appetizers for meals and got asked if everything was ok quite often. After that cruise and up until today, if I have a meal I can't finish the wait staff will gladly give you the cover to take your food with you to finish later. I am a pro now, know what I can eat and not. The portion sizes and multiple courses work wonderfully with bypass. Things like crab cakes, meatballs, etc are often on the appetizer menu and most nights I could only eat a portion of my entree. My husband finished the rest, so we didn't waste anything. Good luck on your surgery and you will do fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had full gastric bypass several years ago. I don't think I was allowed to eat anything but soft food for about 10+ weeks. I drank Carnation sugar free breakfast shakes that I mixed with nonfat milk. I ate a lot of mashed potatoes, jello, oatmeal, grits, soup, scrambled eggs.

When I did start adding back solid food and on the ship I found fish to be the easiest to not get stuck on. Chicken had to be cut really small and chewed well. I could only eat about 1/4 of what was on my plate, so instead of salad with dinner I had soup, and I don't eat bread because when you can only hold about 1/2 cup of food, and you are suppose to eat your proteins first, bread is just not in the cards for me.

I also had no appetite for about 6 months after surgery and you probably won't either.

Good luck, but it's really worth the effort and it's totally doable on the ship.

I lost 130lbs in about 10 months.

Congratulations! :)

Thanks so much for all the wonderful recommendations and responses. I did not us my head and get insurance when I booked late summer of 2016. This is a private charter so booking WAY in advance is almost always required. I Didn't even know I was going to go forward with the surgery at the time. So don't want to postpone.

I will definitely contact the special needs department and get it in writing.

Thanks,

I think you can probably still purchase insurance, at least for medical issues. With the surgery being so close to your cruise you may want to at least provide for any medical issues you may have especially if you end up in a hospital out of the country. Many hospitals out of country require payment up front. With your pre-existing condition it could cost a fortune to end up in the hospital.