Cruise line advice please! First-time to Alaska, 3 generations, 2 older kids (11,13)

boohoyal

I'm sorry to bother everyone again but I just can't make a decision on this cruise! Can someone please help?

Holland wins on itinerary and price - RT from Vancouver visits both Glacier Bay and Inside Passage, and it spends longer in Ketchikan, which would be great for our fishing excursion there, and it's about $1500 cheaper (with Explore4, since we have 3rd and 4th guests). Princess is not as great on itinerary - their RT from Seattle spends a short time in the Inside Passage, and leaves Ketchikan early at 1:30.

Also, I found some activities lists and the Princess activities looked like a much better fit because we are an active family that likes to spend time TOGETHER vs sending the kids off to kids club (Princess: family scavenger hunt and photography workshop vs HAL: Digital Workshop on how to use mail, a class on good back posture and a kids-only scavenger hunt)

We've never been on a cruise before - what is more important? Someone please help me make a decision before Explore4 runs out tomorrow! :) Thank you a million times!

I would not base any AK decisions on anything happening on the ship. You are doing AK for what you see off the ship, the ports that you stop at and the times in port. What happens on the ship would be the dead last determining factor to me.

DON

Sorry for delay. To answer your question jaitip, we settled on HAL Volendam for a few reasons: 1 - it travels in/out Vancouver which we preferred, 2 - it travels Wed - Wed and we were using Delta Skymiles points for flights and they were cheaper mid-week, 3 - we don't like crowds and preferred this smaller boat, 4 - it travels the Inside Passage which sounds like better scenery, and 5- it spends a long time in port each day so that means more time off the boat.

We do have kids with us though and I realize this may not be the best boat for kids. I'm worried they are going to be running around getting scolded by the older passengers all the time but we are making sure we have active excursions to give them that outlet.... more time off the boat helps with that.

Good luck!

HAL does have Kids Club and enrichment programs....Glacier Bay day rangers onboard. The kids will have plenty to keep them busy and engaged. They will have a great time.

We do have kids with us though and I realize this may not be the best boat for kids. I'm worried they are going to be running around getting scolded by the older passengers all the time but we are making sure we have active excursions to give them that outlet.... more time off the boat helps with that.

Good luck!

I think you made a good decision. I picked HAL, same ship for many of the reasons you did. I did a lot of research. Unless the kids are literally running around, they should be fine. Kids are kids. We are on the Aug 15th sailing!!!!

I would not base any AK decisions on anything happening on the ship. You are doing AK for what you see off the ship, the ports that you stop at and the times in port. What happens on the ship would be the dead last determining factor to me.

DON

I agree with this sentiment! Ultimately itinerary was the most important thing so we let that be our deciding factor... HAL!

I think you made a good decision. I picked HAL, same ship for many of the reasons you did. I did a lot of research. Unless the kids are literally running around, they should be fine. Kids are kids. We are on the Aug 15th sailing!!!!

Great! Well I'll be sure to do a trip report after my sailing in June so keep an eye out for tips! :)

Seem like people here prefer HAL. I really wanna try.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have done several lines in Alaska and HAL felt like sailing with a living morgue. Everyone is in wheelchairs it seems and very fragile. Each cruise we have several deaths. I honestly think Princess has the biggest bang for the buck. Great itinerary and great shipboard experience with a more active group of passengers.