The Case of the Missing Berries

carLesCruisers

Too much information.

I always put on a cover-up before eating French fries, even if I am eating them at poolside.

Do you normally hang around the pool on Princess ships naked... except when eating fries?

A few years ago, I think on the Crown, they also told me they had no berries. Our server's husband was the pastry chef, so she went to him and got me blueberries. At that time they were only to be served with pastries. Towards the end of the cruise, even he wouldn't give up his blueberries to his wife.

Do you normally hang around the pool on Princess ships naked... except when eating fries?

Bill, I have to confess that I usually wear a napkin.

(Actually, your subject line never even occurred to me, although Pete certainly would have pointed it out & told me to leave it in the post.)

Strawberries and blueberries would be hard to keep and serve for a ship, so I understand. On our recent Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa cruise, we had wonderful fruits and vegetables, except for papaya. We were surprised. We had five ports in Hawaii, the papaya state, but the ship ran out a few days after leaving Hawaii, and ran out again after papaya was reloaded in Tahiti. I've never had that happen before, even cruising in Norway.

How quickly we forget.... as little as 20years ago and most certainly 40 years ago when I was a kid, we didn’t expect out of season produce to be there if it wasn’t available. It simply wasn’t. Remember the long winters eating root mainly vegetables? (Or insert your area’s winter harvest)

Now the Costco instant gratification society expects fresh raspberries 365 days a year. Not possible folks... not sustainable.

Lemons and limes also have crop blights and shortages.

British Columbia in August...Blueberries, peaches & nectarines, oh my!

I did not see what time of year OP was here, but blueberries only come in late July & much of August.

As to the shortage of lemons, it may have been something stupid, such as the supplier's having neglected to ship them or shorting them on the load. I worked many years as a supermarket receiver and can assure you this happens often.

Steve

I used to have berries as a dessert every night on Princess. Some years ago, I would guess about four or five years ago, they stopped making them available as a food item to be ordered, and as so many have mentioned, they are used only for garnish. It was just one of the many things to disappear as part of their cost cutting over the last many years. Shortly after that, they even stopped including chocolate covered strawberries as one of the elite formal night goodies. Then the souvenir wine glasses disappeared from the wine tasting. Now it seem that our elite laundry privilege of next day delivery has concerted to three days. and the list goes on and on............

On my Ruby cruise in january, I asked for a small serving of blueberries with my breakfast (first full day of the cruise) since I'm prediabetic and don't do well with higher carb fruits (bananas, melon, etc). The waiter in the MDR refused and said they were only for garnish. I was not impressed

Were you in the southern hemisphere? Otherwise, I can't figure out how the ship could obtain fresh blueberries in the month of January.

Fresh berries are delicious, but even at the height of summer, fresh picked berries do not keep their fresh flavor very long.

At the peak of summer, we in California get blueberries fresh from Oregon, but they only last about 5 days chilled in the refrigerator, then then lose their flavor and become sour.