Phones around the Getaway?

slightlysilly

We are traveling in a group of 17 in two weeks. We will have 3 teenagers with us (13, 14, 16) and I’m not hearing great things about the iconcierge app. I’m also not jazzed about the idea of the boys having to carry their phones all over the place, but I would like for them to be able to check in. Are there courtesy phones around the ship for them to call and leave a message at the cabin? Is the app really as bad as people say it is? Did anyone come up with a good system to check in that didn’t use the app?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The idea of teens carrying phones around the ship would scare me. Between pools and the chances of them making calls or logging in via the cell network is very scary.

I think they can handle staying off the cell service but I’m just thinking it would be a hassle to find a place for the phones if they want to rock climb or do the ropes course, etc. Especially if the app is not very good.

We've been on Getaway twice and Escape once with 2 boys with phones age range of 11-14 and they haven't lost them once. If they don't lose them at home, they won't on the ship.

As a pp mentioned, restarting the app works for restarting the app, but mostly we had no issue. I think you have better chance of keeping track of them with the app then with courtesy phones.

We took a 16 and 18 year old. They had phones. The app was spotty at best. We used the old fashioned way of checking in...notes in the cabin, messages on the cabin phone, and meeting a few times a day at a set time and place. It worked like a charm. I remember running across Europe as a teen traveling with my siblings and parents in the 80's, we checked in similarly and it worked fine then. I think we have gotten so used to instant contact we forget that cellphones are a very recent thing[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two points:

1 - There are activities that require the phone be left someplace - swimming is the big one.

2 - Sure, you can tell, beg, threaten a teen to not text or check facebook, or ..... Once that data gets turned on, it is all over. I have seen the postings here about people that had this happen and said... "it was only on for just a few minutes". LOL

I am not making judgements about any parent or teen. Just a comment.

Once that data gets turned on, it is all over. I have seen the postings here about people that had this happen and said... "it was only on for just a few minutes".

Precisely why I logged into our cellphone account while waiting to board the ship in port and suspended my teen's phone accounts. They could try to turn data back on, turn it off airplane mode, do all their shenanigans, but until we got off the boat in Miami the following week, their phone numbers were suspended. This made their phones essentially useless except for preloaded things, the app, or on wifi, exactly as it should be onboard[emoji6]. And no possible ways to make a "mistake".

And if you haven't learned this parenting tool yet, it is as wonderful as the changing wifi password punishment. You can suspend and unsuspend at a moments notice as often as you want. You still pay the monthly fees etc, but no additional charge for suspending and on international trips not risk to the wallet!

Have not tried the courtesy phones to leave a message. I realize that one can leave a message but is it possible to retrieve a message via the courtesy phone or do you have to use the phone in the room where the message was sent?

Edited by BobbyOrr
clarifciation in my comment

We took a 16 and 18 year old. They had phones. The app was spotty at best. We used the old fashioned way of checking in...notes in the cabin, messages on the cabin phone, and meeting a few times a day at a set time and place. It worked like a charm. I remember running across Europe as a teen traveling with my siblings and parents in the 80's, we checked in similarly and it worked fine then. I think we have gotten so used to instant contact we forget that cellphones are a very recent thing[emoji6]

I think we would be closer to this situation. My son has never lost his phone but he also doesn’t like to carry it around either. I also don’t like carrying around my cell either, especially on a cruise where I like to unplug. We will figure it out.