School Holiday Cruise Pricing

With 14 cruises under our belt to date and number 15 booked for February, I think I've got OK at spotting a bargain. We tend to book an inside cabin and pay about $100/person/day. As DW and I don’t have kids we tend to avoid cruising in the school holidays. But...

We're looking at doing a holiday with the extended family next year; DW & I, my 3 sisters and their husbands, and 6 kids ranging in age from 6 to 14. (2 of my sisters have 3 kids each). Perhaps my father and his wife (Mum was killed in a car accident 13 years ago) and also my aunt and uncle may end up joining us also.

We've settled on the when: July NSW School Holidays (7th-22nd July 2018). We’re still working on the what and where. I really believe that a cruise would be the best (and possibly cheapest) option but I need to convince some of the others. But I digress.

What I want to know is, what is a reasonable price to pay during the July School Holidays? Also, I am right in assuming that kids will be the same price as adults?

Kids prices depend on the cruiseline and how many people in the cabin. Sometimes there are specials where kids travel cheaper. July means you maybe limited to carnival or p&o. P&o restricts how many kids there are in each age group. You need to book early for school holiday cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With 14 cruises under our belt to date and number 15 booked for February, I think I've got OK at spotting a bargain. We tend to book an inside cabin and pay about $100/person/day. As DW and I don’t have kids we tend to avoid cruising in the school holidays. But...

We're looking at doing a holiday with the extended family next year; DW & I, my 3 sisters and their husbands, and 6 kids ranging in age from 6 to 14. (2 of my sisters have 3 kids each). Perhaps my father and his wife (Mum was killed in a car accident 13 years ago) and also my aunt and uncle may end up joining us also.

We've settled on the when: July NSW School Holidays (7th-22nd July 2018). We’re still working on the what and where. I really believe that a cruise would be the best (and possibly cheapest) option but I need to convince some of the others. But I digress.

What I want to know is, what is a reasonable price to pay during the July School Holidays? Also, I am right in assuming that kids will be the same price as adults?

Wow that's quite a few cabins. It might be difficult to get what you want even a year out in school hols.

Depending on the line an numbers in each cabin kids (or any 3rd and 4th passenger) can be discounted. Remember each cabin must have an adult for booking purposes.

Good luck with it!

We always book school holidays and I find July to be the most expensive time to book. As mentioned there is only P&O and Carnival. Carnival only has Spirit in Australia in winter so prices don't really come down leaving just P&O.

I personally would not be keen to sail out of Sydney in winter on either Aria or Eden just because you have the chance of really rough seas and they are such small boats. I love cruising but would be tempted to go for a land-based holiday somewhere like Hamilton Island in this case.

You can be lucky sometimes but with a large group it might be too many people to gamble on getting a good price. We did an 8 nighter in late June. It was school holidays for our son but not all schools. We went Carnival and booked a guarantee balcony in about April and paid about $950pp. I was very happy with that price and we were given a good room too. I didn't book direct, it was with an online cruise sales site. Probably got that price because the sail date was getting closer. There is a couple of cruises for next July holidays at around the 1300pp mark.