Alcohol Delivered to our Room

suep

Ok -- we recently went on a Princess cruise that allowed ordering a bottle from the ship and have it delivered to our room.....can we do this on Royal Caribbean??? We've not ordered alcohol delivered to our room before, but someone we were travelling with did this (on Princess). Can this be done on Royal Caribbean???

I just got off the Enchantment 12/5 sailing and asked about purchasing a bottle of Jim Beam with the understanding if I paid an extra $9 I could consume it in my room - the guy on deck 5 said the waitresses complained so much about their tips that RCL stopped allowing the purchase of liquor. I think Wine you can still pre-order at $20 for an average to midiacore bottle of wine

I'll let you know .. I emailed "onboard services" with RCCL this morning with a question about purchasing a bottle and/or beer and have it for our cabin on Splendor of the Seas departing 1/30. We utilized this service on Norweigan Spirit last year and it was a great perk.

On Celebrity, you can actually order a "liquor package" in advance. $50 gets you a decent premium brand (Absolut, Knob Creek) liter, 6 pack of soda, and assorted nuts. There is a $55 package that gets a little more premium brand (Grey Goose), and then $80 for packages with more expensive Scotches, etc. It's steep...but a lot less than how much it would cost for all of the drinks it can make.

It's not much of a "perk" if the quality is low and the price is high. :(

JMO, of course. YMMV.

Merion Mom....You're killin' me! Everything I want to say, you have just said! Maybe I say too much.....not sure if my post was pulled (can't think of what I could've said to cause this!) on one of the "Booze" threads, but you were there too! Maybe it just didn't go through. LOL I think....except it is not funny!

I know there have been a million posts on taking vs. ordering liquor onboard....it makes me crazy! I would not go to a hotel and expect to have my bottle of whatever confiscated by the liquor police, and I shouldn't have to encounter this boarding a ship. If the cruiseline had decent wine at decent prices, I'm there.....otherwise I hope to take my own and willingly pay corkage. They don't have my choice for starters, and it goes on from there.

I sailed NCL in August and their wine prices were acceptable, with a buy 5, get 1 free.....that I could handle, and they got my business. Not this time.

Will this get pulled?

M.

MerionMom, you said it! The wines on RCI are ridiculously overpriced! We have gotten some decent Diamond discounts (buy one bottle get 15% off the second), but it's still too much for what we get. We have been able to bring wine onboard without any problem, openly in our carryon luggage.

As for hard liquor, on our September cruise you could only order by the drink for in-cabin consumption, which I assume would be a mini bottle with mixer on the side, but I don't know. We buy shampoo bottles at the drugstore, the kind that hold about 8 oz, fill them with vodka for me and bourbon for DH and pack them in our toiletries kit. Yes, it's smuggling, yes, it's against the rules, and at this point, no, we don't care. Sometimes we come home without having touched them, but we will occasionally want a cocktail in our cabin.

I wish RCI would follow Princess' example and allow you to buy full or half liters with mixers for your cabin, at reasonable prices.

I'm not lugging it in my carry-on through airports anymore. This time, we fly to Florida on Monday and cruise on Tuesday. All the local liquor stores will be open, and I'll give Florida my business. Two bottles of champagne, two of decent red, one Jack and I'm set. :)

I'm not lugging it in my carry-on through airports anymore. This time, we fly to Florida on Monday and cruise on Tuesday. All the local liquor stores will be open, and I'll give Florida my business. Two bottles of champagne, two of decent red, one Jack and I'm set. :)

Couldn't agree more about the schlepping through airports, wondering all the time if the bottles will break....hardly worth the anxiety, especially from Canada, where prices are high.

Thank goodness I'm in Florida now....prices are great and we can drive to the port. Can't wait...only 9 days to go!

What IS the rule about liquor sales on Sunday? We're flying in next year on Saturday for a Sunday cruise. I won't carry or check bottles on the plane, so I was planning on getting something pre-cruise. Should we plan on going Saturday night?

Just to be on the safe side I would purchase it on Saturday. I know here in Arkansas, the only place that is allowed to serve alcohol on Sundays is a restaurant.

What IS the rule about liquor sales on Sunday? We're flying in next year on Saturday for a Sunday cruise. I won't carry or check bottles on the plane, so I was planning on getting something pre-cruise. Should we plan on going Saturday night?
Jean, I went through that angst last year before (NOT!!!!!!) going on the Jewel, and local Florida residents told me that it's sort of local option: some municipalities allow Sunday sales, and some don't. You should find an actual store near your hotel and CALL THEM and ask if they'll be open on the day of your cruise.

That's why I'm so grateful that we're doing the weird Sovereign back-to-back, Tuesday to Tuesday this year. No weekend woes. And the liquor store in Cocoa Beach has a website; I may even pre-order so I can just run in and pick up my bottles!

Carol

:mad: The wine selection adn wine prices on RCI are the pits!!!! They claim that due to shipping:confused: they can't have decent wines! We will not mention that they do buy them at wholesale and duty-free pricing! So why do they charge more than double retail in a 50% taxed country? It is pure profit! I buy ALL of my wine off the boat. Most times, by giving a good tip to the steward or on other cruise ships the somelier, I never pay a corking fee. Even if I do in the spcialty restaurants, I save 50 to 75% on home restaurant pricing for great wines of my choosing (Margaux and Pommerols, among others). As for hard liquor, we bring at least 2 bottles in our luggage. Sometimes we buy a bottle from the boat. Either way they don't loose because we still buy drinks etc. at horrendous mark up!:o

DT10L:rolleyes:

Thanks, Carol! By the way, if you go to the Princess threads, there's a sticky that will take you to a website where you can get a new countdown clock. Check it out!
Thanks, Jean. You can see that I DID update the nearest cruise. I was just too lazy to do the next one. :D I'll get around to it one of these days................:eek:

Archived