Torn between Canary or Adriatic. Anyone done one of these European cruises?

spartac

Believe me, I couldn’t have missed them. And all of the scooters, walking frames and wheelchairs. Don’t get me wrong. I think it is wonderful that those less able can continue to enjoy a trip like this, but it sure put a totally different "feel" on the ship and not one that I personally enjoy.

Anyway, that is enough of that. We are getting sidetracked. The OP has decided not to do the Canaries cruise and has the pick of two very nice itineraries.

Phil

I was one of those guests in a wheelchair, fortunately for me it was a temporary state....I wouldn’t be put off a cruise by it having a high proportion of ‘less able’ guests either....

As you say the OP has some great itineraries to choose from I just didn’t want him to think that everyone who cruises on a mainly British cruise has a bad time.

Believe me, I couldn’t have missed them. And all of the scooters, walking frames and wheelchairs. Don’t get me wrong. I think it is wonderful that those less able can continue to enjoy a trip like this, but it sure put a totally different "feel" on the ship and not one that I personally enjoy.

I did a Norway cruise a couple of years ago with Celebrity. Loads of scooters and walking aids, many people in late 80s. BUT, boy did they know how to dress properly! None of that "what can I get away with" stuff. The full works with DJs and long gowns. I found it rather moving that, despite all the physical constraints, they were going to put on a show and enjoy themselves.

Stuart

Thanks all, this has been very informative, and entertaining:) I'll go with the October 10th Adriatic cruise.

As for the Canaries: is it a destination that's better discovered by traveling there and staying a few days on the islands instead of cruising? Not sure if the logistics of traveling between islands make it too much of a hassle.

Thanks all, this has been very informative, and entertaining:) I'll go with the October 10th Adriatic cruise.

As for the Canaries: is it a destination that's better discovered by traveling there and staying a few days on the islands instead of cruising? Not sure if the logistics of traveling between islands make it too much of a hassle.

Well it's only fair to warn you that not only are the islands full of whinging limey's, they're also full of Germans. But if you're able to cope with that they might be OK. :D

There's a world famous naturist beach at Maspolamas in Gran Canaria if that's of interest? I haven't been since I was 17 years old, but I remember because this was my first foreign holiday without my parents. I went with friends and we walked along the beach from Mapolamas to Playa Del Ingles and was quite surprised to see a young, not unattractive lady walk out of the sea just 10 yards in front of us completely naked.

We soon realised that we'd walked straight into the naturist area, but sadly we also quickly realised that the average age of those at one with nature were well into their fifties, mostly German and were unfamiliar with the term epilation and even salad. What is seen cannot be unseen, so we never did return.

That probably doesn't help at all with your decision... Sorry. :D

***Awaits Criuse Critic ban from those who don't understand why we desperately need a tongue in cheek smiley.***

The amazing thing about starting a thread on Cruise Critic is you are never exactly sure where it will lead!

I am sure you will really enjoy your Adriatic cruise. Great ports to visit!

The Canaries, just like the Caribbean islands, you can enjoy as a ‘taster’ on a cruise or for a longer stay. Leave it on your bucket list!

Happy Cruising!

We have done a couple of holidays on Tenerife. It is an island of contrasts and you can have what ever holiday you are looking for. We often stay at a few different places and therefore cater for all the needs of our family 😂. Party scene for our girls, Loro Park and Siam Park for fun. We then ended by staying on a banana plantation which had a handful of villas and felt miles from anywhere, but was only a short drive into town where there were amazing restaurants and was the perfect end to the holiday.

Personally I am not a big fan of the Canary Islands, so we always skipped the cruises including the Canaries.

The reasons are very subjective, however, and I would not discourage others to visit the islands and form their own opinion.

However, we really enjoyed our Dalmatian Coast cruise on Constellation - itinerary AND ship.

You can read about our experiences here. Maybe some of the information is useful to you:

http://travellove.one/Our-Trips/Adriatic-Constellation-1---Ven/adriatic-constellation-1---venice.html

Personally I am not a big fan of the Canary Islands, so we always skipped the cruises including the Canaries.

The reasons are very subjective, however, and I would not discourage others to visit the islands and form their own opinion.

However, we really enjoyed our Dalmatian Coast cruise on Constellation - itinerary AND ship.

You can read about our experiences here. Maybe some of the information is useful to you:

http://travellove.one/Our-Trips/Adriatic-Constellation-1---Ven/adriatic-constellation-1---venice.html

Oh wow, amazing blog. Thank you for sharing!