Livorno - try Lucca

ollienbertsmum

We booked transportation with TuscanyBus for $28eu getting on at the shuttle drop off area. We bussed to Lucca with commentary and free wifi. We spent 3 hours on our own in Lucca and over a hour in Pisa before being dropped off at the cruise port.

Not as cheap as the train but a lot easier and stress free.

What did you do in Lucca in three hrs? Thanks

What did you do in Lucca in three hrs? Thanks

I will jump in. Lucca is just a nice compact walled city so you do what folks do in compact cities :). You can walk around, browse shops, enjoy a very nice lunch (indoors or at an outdoor restaurant). Lucca also has an intact wall structure so you can walk around the top of the walls or even rent a bicycle and ride. While 3 hours might seem like a lot of time, enjoying a nice lunch in Italy is not normally a fast process. Just relaxing at a nice outdoor restaurant, having a drink, lunch, espresso, etc...can easily use 1 1/2 hours.

Hank

I will jump in. Lucca is just a nice compact walled city so you do what folks do in compact cities :). You can walk around, browse shops, enjoy a very nice lunch (indoors or at an outdoor restaurant). Lucca also has an intact wall structure so you can walk around the top of the walls or even rent a bicycle and ride. While 3 hours might seem like a lot of time, enjoying a nice lunch in Italy is not normally a fast process. Just relaxing at a nice outdoor restaurant, having a drink, lunch, espresso, etc...can easily use 1 1/2 hours.

Hank

That was my thought -- especially as I'm a slow walker. We will be there November 2019 so much depends on the weather. Have my coffee shop / patisserie picked out and the beginnings of a walking route. The Tuscanybus drops off at Porto D'Ana (sp?) so I'm working around that. Can you see the towers from the top of the wall?

That was my thought -- especially as I'm a slow walker. We will be there November 2019 so much depends on the weather. Have my coffee shop / patisserie picked out and the beginnings of a walking route. The Tuscanybus drops off at Porto D'Ana (sp?) so I'm working around that. Can you see the towers from the top of the wall?

The "Towers" are not as imposing as you might expect, but yes, you can see them. Here is a link to a great explanation of these walls:

http://www.anticaresidenzadellangelo.com/default.asp?ID=118&LG=UK

Lucca is a place we have long recommended for those that want a relaxing day when one can simply walk around at their own pace and soak up the atmosphere. One goes to Lucca to see Lucca, not to look for "sites" within Lucca.

Hank