How to configure our family of six

JillK

Hi all.

Hubby and I have several cruises under our belts on various lines. We have done two cruises with all four of our kids (daughters 13 & 11; sons 8 & 6), but both those times my parents cruised with us and had our two older children in their cabin.

I am looking at booking the Sunshine for March Break 2019 and am unsure of the best way to configure our family.

Looking for anyone that has advise to share on what has worked for their large family.... right now I am pricing with a boys cabin and girls cabin as close together as possible, but was wondering if there is a better way (1 balcony with 1 inside across hall, two connecting cabins where kids sleep in one room and parents in other with connecting doors open)?

Any advice welcome and appreciated!

Thanks.

With the ages of your kids, I would recommend connecting rooms. That is when we did when we cruised with all four of our kids. It was perfect! I don’t know if the Sunshine has deluxe oceanview rooms, but they are so nice since they have two bathrooms (one toilet though).

We have sailed twice on the Sunshine with our 4 kids (10 down to almost 2). The first time we did two side by side interiors, this last time (just got off yesterday!) we did connecting ocean views. The connecting ocean views were much better for us! We have been unable to book two connecting rooms online- I highly suggest calling Carnival to book. For whatever reason, we usually have to say 4 and 2 in each room, not 3 and 3! This time, the three older kids all slept in one room and the baby stayed with us - we used the big rectangular pillows to keep the doors between the rooms propped open at night. My parents always get a balcony room and those rooms seem much smaller than ours. If you are planning on having kids sleep in your room, I think the extra indoor space is worth having and that's why we prefer ocean view over balcony.

Great tips - thanks! I have an agent that I used for a Vista cruise that we had to cancel so I think I'll give him a call to see what he can arrange for us. Excellent point about the additional space with the oceanviews. The past two cruises with my parents they have gotten accustomed to a balcony but hubby and I usually book interior or oceanview. We prefer to spend that extra money onboard the ship rather than on the cabin!

Good tip on Cheers.... not sure that we will purchase this, will have to look at the overall cost of the program and weigh it against what our usual bar bill is for the week (when we haven't had packages given to us at booking as a perk like on Celebrity and NCL).

I would do 2 cabins, connecting....if possible! One for you 2 parents...the other for the 4 kids....keep their messes in their cabin..and you will have your own. Split them among the available beds as you see fit. They are little....they will be great!

We have 8 children and have sailed with all of them several times in the past 6 or 7 yrs. They are getting older now, but are pretty close together, like yours. (25,24,22,20,17,14,12,11). We have always been able to work out a girls cabin, boys cabin and parents only OR all kids and parents seperate, but only because we had older kids to room with the younger. Because your youngest is quite young yet, and your oldest isnt so old, I have to agree that connecting 2/4 cabins would be the most comfortable with peace of mind. In a few years the connecting part wont be as important.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Well certainly sounds like connecting is the way to go regardless of our sleeping arrangements. I agree this would be the best case scenario but I certainly don't have a good view of what is available online so will have to either call an agent or Carnival directly.

Hopep84 - do you mind telling me what category outside you guys had on your most recent Sunshine cruise?

I also briefly flirted with the Horizon for the same week sailing, as the Family Harbor cabins are very appealing but I can't bring myself to pay the premium for the new ship for the same itinerary as the Sunshine.

And Tracy - 8 children WOW! Makes my family look small!

I can't speak on room configurations but one of the more advantageous situations for my family was being able to participate in the CHEERS! program and only one adult had to purchase. My wife does not drink at all and I am a heavier drinker so it was perfect and saved a huge chunk of $.

Our room configuration was just two inside cabins next to each other. We have also had two insides just 2 doors down and even insides that were just around the corner. All of which worked just fine for us since the cabins were simply for sleeping and we just communicated via in-room telephone.