S&S card upon check-in, or at cabin?

shellster1

My last cruise was on the Fascination last summer and I received my card at check-in. I’ve read CCL is now distributing the cards at your cabin. This seems odd to me. How do they link your picture with your card?? Is this the case for all ships? Specifically, the Dream and Sunshine? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My last cruise was on the Fascination last summer and I received my card at check-in. I’ve read CCL is now distributing the cards at your cabin. This seems odd to me. How do they link your picture with your card?? Is this the case for all ships? Specifically, the Dream and Sunshine? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While some ships already have this system in place, it hasn't gone fleet wide just yet. When you check in at the home port, your passport photo is scanned and linked to your S&S card. The primary reason this is being done is because too many people without priority boarding were going to their cabins to drop off their carryons before the cabins were ready. This article lists the ships that are currently using the new system:

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-rolling-faster-embarkation-process-cruise-ships/

Your S&S card was never swiped to have the picture "added" to your card. It's in the system. The cards were always in an envelope in which the rep would go get and give them to you. Only things that have changed is the location of the envelope and you no longer have the 2nd check in line. If you do a search, there is a plethora of threads on this topic.

Passports are irrelvant to this ...per say...since not all people cruising use them.

After reading the article...it appears they will take your picture and then scan your boarding pass to link to your picture. I noticed my Boarding pass has a bar code on it. This is why you can use boarding pass to purchase drinks before getting room card. I am cruising on Vista next week who is using this new process

Passports are irrelvant to this ...per say...since not all people cruising use them.

After reading the article...it appears they will take your picture and then scan your boarding pass to link to your picture. I noticed my Boarding pass has a bar code on it. This is why you can use boarding pass to purchase drinks before getting room card. I am cruising on Vista next week who is using this new process

You are 100% correct on this! However, Carnival just rolled out an even newer system on the Vista, Sensation and I think Victory this past week

The agents who would generally check your ID before security, now hold a smartphone that they use to swipe your passports and lift your pictures. They can also scan boarding passes and take security pictures of those traveling with birth certificates, naturalization, passport cards and enhanced drivers licenses.

Before they would take the photos before boarding the ship as they scanned your boarding pass. Now that’s all done as you come into the terminal and once you’re finished you go straight to the ship, as your S&S cards are outside your room.

It’s extremely efficient and painless! Love it!

You are 100% correct on this! However, Carnival just rolled out an even newer system on the Vista, Sensation and I think Victory this past week

The agents who would generally check your ID before security, now hold a smartphone that they use to swipe your passports and lift your pictures. They can also scan boarding passes and take security pictures of those traveling with birth certificates, naturalization, passport cards and enhanced drivers licenses.

Before they would take the photos before boarding the ship as they scanned your boarding pass. Now that’s all done as you come into the terminal and once you’re finished you go straight to the ship, as your S&S cards are outside your room.

It’s extremely efficient and painless! Love it!

Thanks for the additional information.... Was wondering how the passport photo was integrated into the process!

On Valor this week, my passport picture was my sail and sign picture. However, my husband had to take a picture as we boarded. I guess whatever system they used didn't quite gather his picture.

On the Breeze in July, we got our cards at check in. On the Valor this week, we got them in our rooms.

I was on the Breeze in September and the S&S cards were in the mailbox. Or I should have said it should have been in the mailbox as I am platinum and went straight to my cabin but no card in the mailbox. Thankfully the cabin steward was just down the way so I was able to get it from him. I have to say that I really liked that the cards were in the mailbox as check in was so fast!!

On Valor this week, my passport picture was my sail and sign picture. However, my husband had to take a picture as we boarded. I guess whatever system they used didn't quite gather his picture.

On the Breeze in July, we got our cards at check in. On the Valor this week, we got them in our rooms.

If he was traveling with a passport and they retook his photo it could have been for several reasons: 1. He no longer resembles the passport picture, 2. The agent who scanned the passport did not allow enough time for the picture to be completely scanned, or 3. He has an older passport for which the picture does not scan as well.

Just a few insider tidbits ;)

Your S&S card was never swiped to have the picture "added" to your card. It's in the system. The cards were always in an envelope in which the rep would go get and give them to you. Only things that have changed is the location of the envelope and you no longer have the 2nd check in line. If you do a search, there is a plethora of threads on this topic.

I don't remember 2 check-in lines. Unless you count showing your ID to get into the terminal?? Or having your card scanned upon actually boarding the ship?

It's not a big deal, I was just wondering why Carnival would switch it up, which now has been answered. Thank you, everyone!

IMO, check-in has always been quite timely. However, it seems most seasoned cruisers agree, it's even more time efficient now. I have always boarded early. Perhaps that's why I haven't noticed any problems previously.

I don't remember 2 check-in lines. Unless you count showing your ID to get into the terminal?? Or having your card scanned upon actually boarding the ship?

It's not a big deal, I was just wondering why Carnival would switch it up, which now has been answered. Thank you, everyone!

IMO, check-in has always been quite timely. However, it seems most seasoned cruisers agree, it's even more time efficient now. I have always boarded early. Perhaps that's why I haven't noticed any problems previously.

I think my first cruise back in 2009 we had to go through security, check in, then another line for the sail and sign card and have pictures taken. More recent cruises it's been the security line and then the check in process, what showed it down was waiting for them to hunt down your envelope with the sail and sign cards. I could see how getting the cards in the ship would speed things up, we have been in some very long lines. I saw something the other day about royal starting to do the check in process with a mobile app t like you do for flights then I guess just check ID's as you board (I didn't read the article) I think that would be awesome and really speed up the boarding process.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Well before this new process there were 4 check points guest would have to go through to get onboard: ID check to make sure you're actually sailing on the ship, security xray machines, check-in line to take picture, or complete your check-in and get your S&S key, and the final facial recognition on machines before boarding the ship.

With the new system they have eliminated the longest checkpoint, the check-in line, and have made the first checkpoint quicker.

Well to get back on topic for the OP: I believe this has only been rolled out on ships sailing out of Miami and Galveston, not sure if it has been rolled out fleet-wide by now. Best advice however, whether they do keys on board or not, is to get there early (10:30 am) or after 12:30-1:00 pm.

Enjoy!

Yes, the first line was the little desks out front, then security, then the line where you get your S&S card. Now it's just the one out front and then you sit down or go straight to the ship. I love it.

Sail and sign Cards were received in cabin mailbox on the glory sailing of 11/4/17. Did not have to take picture for the sail and sign card . They just upload your passport picture to your card. However if you look way diff then your passport pic they will have you take a new pic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If your Sail & Sign card is at your cabin mailbox, what keeps someone from stealing them and using them, or keeps someone from mixing them up with others on your deck? I personally would rather have my S&S card with me from the very beginning.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

It's not going to happen. If you do a search, there are lots and lots of threads on this. No issues as of yet and Royal Caribbean has been doing it this way including on their largest ships such as Harmony of the Seas for quite awhile I've been told.