Went to St Thomason Adventure of the Seas

smilz

I heard back from the national park association in USVI regarding the Annaberg/Leinster Bay area. They are addressing some safety issues (I'm assuming downed trees, etc.), but expect the areas to be fine for our visit in February. Just wanted to share in case anyone else had an interest in that area.

November 8, 2017, road to Maho Bay.

trees-at-maho-bay-road.jpg

But the damage inflicted by Hurricane Irma on the forests of St. John September 6 may be much worse than anyone suspected. The upper western-facing slopes, including Mamey Peak and the Cinnamon and Maho Bay watersheds, have been particularly affected. Seven weeks after the storm, there are still swaths of forest where the trees are lying flat, and little that is green can be seen.

“I’m afraid there’s been a great deal of tree death there,” said native species expert Eleanor Gibney. “The sheer force of the gusts, estimated at 250 mph, separated the bark from the wood. No tree can survive that.”

Thank you for your report. We'll be on the Allure and in St Thomas on Nov 29. We had originally planned to golf. Obviously, that isn't going to happen so we booked a bus tour to view the island. I may cancel that now after reading your report and look for something else to book. We've been to St Thomas many times and love the island.