Yet Another Upgrade Thread

RebelAthena

I am convinced that NCL is stalking me; only yesterday I was on here reading through the upgrade/bid thread, and, whadayaknow, today I got the upgrade email from NCL.

Sailing on the Getaway in February for my 40th with my parents (so 3 of us); we opted for the Aft-Facing Pentouse with Master because it has two bathrooms, ample space for three, and that balcony. :hearteyes:

I'm now trying to decide whether to bid for an upgrade for either the 2-bedroom family villa (more defined spaces but terrible balcony), or the DOS (lots more room (and in room bottle service so we don't need to buy the third beverage package) but only 1.5 baths).

Since "worth it" is relative, I think that I'll just solicit comments from the cruise collective. Thoughts? I've read that wind is a factor on the forward-facing balconies ... also thinking about motion-sickness issues (really rough seas on a sailing in September (between hurricanes :o)).

I am convinced that NCL is stalking me; only yesterday I was on here reading through the upgrade/bid thread, and, whadayaknow, today I got the upgrade email from NCL.

Sailing on the Getaway in February for my 40th with my parents (so 3 of us); we opted for the Aft-Facing Pentouse with Master because it has two bathrooms, ample space for three, and that balcony. [emoji813]eyes:

I'm now trying to decide whether to bid for an upgrade for either the 2-bedroom family villa (more defined spaces but terrible balcony), or the DOS (lots more room (and in room bottle service so we don't need to buy the third beverage package) but only 1.5 baths).

Since "worth it" is relative, I think that I'll just solicit comments from the cruise collective. Thoughts? I've read that wind is a factor on the forward-facing balconies ... also thinking about motion-sickness issues (really rough seas on a sailing in September (between hurricanes :o)).

I've never got an upgrade offer! Go figure

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you should stick with what you have, UNLESS, you plan to spend a lot of time in the public Haven areas. The question to ask yourself is this: What is more important to you, your own PRIVATE LARGE balcony or being IN the Haven? To me, your response to that one question would choose the cabin. If it is being IN the Haven, for ME, I would pick the 2 bedroom because I would want to full baths, but that's ME.

I have stayed in the 2 bedroom on the Getaway, and had friends stay in the aft suite on that same sailing. I for one, REALLY liked being in the Haven, but I used the sun deck a lot and loved having the hot tub just outside our door. However, that balcony on the aft suite is AMAZING! If private outdoor space is your most important thing to consider, keep that aft suite!

2 BR is awesome.

I do not know the OS on the GA - but on other ships it is just a bigger room. Check the layout or somebody might jump in to help.

Is it worth it? Hard to say. Keep in mind that folks do pay full price for those cabins and apparently think it is worth it. Others book only insides because they do not think a balcony is worth it.

And of course, a bid does not mean anything... only a CHANCE to get it.

I had the same quandary on Monday and decided to stick with the aft penthouse on Breakaway. Wanted to keep the huge balcony and full (although tiny) 2nd bathroom. And even the lowest bid for the 2 bedroom would be an additional $1,500. I'd rather have the extra money. Tough decision. Enjoy your cruise.

I've been in both DOS on the Breakaway, but I've never been in a aft suite. Regarding the wind, that has never been an issue when seated or reclining. The wind shield stops pretty much all the wind. It is certainly windy when standing, it I've always found the wind the be refreshing when sailing in the warmer months. And, again, it is gone when you use the lounger.

Regarding "bottle service," all you get is 3 bottles from a list of really terrible options. You get all the mixers you want and all the soda and water you want for the cruise (which is certainly nice), but the booze is not replaced. Not really a reason to pick the DOS in my opinion.

Also, if you have a choice, definitely pick the starboard suite. It is below the Haven sundeck and is very quiet. The port side is below a public sundeck and is very noisy, constant chair moving and pitter patter of kids running back and forth.

Finally, what I like most about the outdoor space in the DOS is that t wraps around the front of the ship, so you get both a forward facing view and a port/starboard facing view! Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums