Paris and the Heart of Normandy Captured Our Hearts! Full Trip Report - Viking Rolf

Sleep7

Whoops! How could I forget the Grand Marnier crepe! Mmmm...

enhance

Also.. who knew that there was a quarter-scale replica of The Statue of Liberty in Paris?

:oWe didn't.. until we saw it on our bus ride back to the ship. It sits on the southern end of Île aux Cygnes near the Pont de Grenelle. The statue was given to the city in 1889 by the American community in Paris to commemorate the centennial of the French Revolution.

enhance

6:15pm.. A "top brass toast" to welcome us aboard.:ship:

enhance

Our evening port talk and then down to dinner at 7pm.:D

enhance

By day two we had found our "group" of sweet, smart and funny new pals and all became fast friends. Shout out to you Texas and Mississippi!:hearteyes:

:DSilly little thing but I must mention that I LOVED that the cabins had outlets both for US plugs and European plugs. We had brought adapters with us so we were able to double the outlets.. and double the charging space!

enhance

Usually on this day of the cruise the included shore excursion is to Monet's Giverny. However.. the house and gardens had just closed the week before for the winter season. Instead we visited the town of Auvers-sur-Oise where Vincent Van Gogh spent the last stage of his life and where he and his brother Theo are buried.

It was very cool to see the actual church in the painting.

enhance

As usual the guide was amazing.

Bright sunshine greeted us and it was cold enough for frost.

enhance

We visited the church and then walked up a hill to the graveyard set among wheat fields.

enhance

enhance

LOVE this image.. makes you feel that traveling is limitless and so full of potential!

enhance

enhance

A bathroom break and then we were treated to some chocolate napoleons before boarding the bus back to the ship. YUM!

Tuesday afternoon's optional watercolor painting activity in the lounge was awesome! The teacher was super nice, very patient and extremely cheerful. One could get as much as as little help as they wanted or needed. She supplied the brushes, the paint, the paper and lots of suggestions of how to create your impressionist masterpiece. I actually chose to paint what was right in front of me.. fun!:D

We also attended her enrichment lecture on "Painters Along the Seine." Thank goodness we were sitting in the back for that as I fell promptly asleep. Nothing to do with the presentation or the content.. maybe it was that large glass of wine at lunch?:o

enhance

• Like 1

Wednesday.. Rouen.

enhance

Loved the city of Rouen! Even though it is on the "other side" of France it very much reminded me of Strasbourg or Cologne. Lots to see and do there.

After going nonstop for 3 days it was wonderful to have a morning at leisure. We ate a relaxing buffet lunch and then went on the walking tour of the city at 1:45pm.

Didn't bring a red Viking umbrella but there was a kind couple who had brought two and gave us one when the rain drops started falling midway through the tour.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The Cathedral of Rouen.. breathtaking of course. No hunchback was spotted though.;)

enhance

enhance

The stained glass panels from the rather modern Church of St Joan of Arc in the background. How gorgeous!

enhance

Close up and personal with some coquilles from the fish market in that square.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thursday was a long and fascinating day full of emotion.

We were on the buses promptly at 8am for a 2 hour drive to the Normandy Coast and our visit to the D-Day sights and Landing Beaches.

Halfway thru the drive we made a restroom stop at a large service station. All 3 buses arrived at the same time and the line for the lady's room was about 100 ladies long and I was #100 on the line. Amazingly that line MOVED! 20 minutes later everyone was back on the bus and ready to go.

We drove past Juno, Sword and Gold beaches on our way to our first stop at Arromanches, which is the site of the artificial "Mulberry" harbor. A genuine feat of pre-planning and engineering it was completed in miraculous 10 days after the Allies landed. It allowed for our troops to be resupplied with food and weapons which were essential to phase two of the invasion. Pieces of it still remain in the

water over 70 years later.

enhance

enhanceenhance

Our next stop was high on a bluff set back from the coast to see 3 German battery fortifications near the village of Longues-sur-Mer. They were part of German's "Atlantic Wall."

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Our next somber stop was at the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial in Colleville-sur-Mer. The cemetery is located on a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach and the English Channel. It covers 172 acres and contains the remains of 9,387 American military dead, most of whom were killed during the invasion of Normandy and ensuing military operations in World War II.

It started to rain.. it was seemed appropriate..

There was a short heartfelt ceremony where the Star Spangled Banner and Taps were played and everyone had tears in their eyes thinking about the sacrifices of these young soldiers and their families. We were each given a rose to place on a grave as a sign of respect and gratitude. Both our fathers had been in WWII so we each chose a soldier who had the first name of each of our fathers. Mine - Joseph and Sam's - Manuel.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Oh geez.. it is Friday already? Where has this week gone? Time has literally flown by.. or should I say sailed by?

enhance

Never too old for a towel animal to make you smile!

enhance

Our very underused balcony.. had it been the summertime it would have been delightful to have!

enhance

Going thru a lock at Ecluses D' Amfreville.

enhance

A visitor just outside our cabin.

enhance