how soon do you need to book to get an upgrade

DWH

Don't book a cheap cabin just so you can get an upgrade. Book the lowest category cabin that you would be happy with. Even on lines where upgrades seem to happen more frequently, like Carnival, there is no guarantee of an upgrade happening ever.

Some lines, like NCL, don't do upgrades at all. They do what are called upsells but you have to pay for it.

RCL rarely upgrades, but it has been known to happen. What they do is have fare sells at the last minute to try and sell empty cabins. If that doesn't work then they might sell upgrades at the pier, but most ships are sailing sold out these days.

Don't every book a cabin assuming you will get an upgrade.

Don't book a cheap cabin just so you can get an upgrade. Book the lowest category cabin that you would be happy with. Even on lines where upgrades seem to happen more frequently, like Carnival, there is no guarantee of an upgrade happening ever.

Some lines, like NCL, don't do upgrades at all. They do what are called upsells but you have to pay for it.

RCL rarely upgrades, but it has been known to happen. What they do is have fare sells at the last minute to try and sell empty cabins. If that doesn't work then they might sell upgrades at the pier, but most ships are sailing sold out these days.

Don't every book a cabin assuming you will get an upgrade.

thanks i think we are going with carnival and teh guy said maybe 50/50 chance you get bumped to a better room

thanks i think we are going with carnival and teh guy said maybe 50/50 chance you get bumped to a better room

Even on Carnival, there is no rhyme or reason as to when the upgrade fairy hits. And I'm pretty sure the chance of getting upgraded is much less than 50% so please don't book a cabin thinking you will get upgraded.

My first 4 cruises were guarantees and not one time did we get upgraded--not even to a higher deck. We also book over a year ahead of time. Seems the people who paidmore then me will get upgraded before me.

I will pick a cabin and take the cheaper price anydays.

(my princess for 2007 has went up 160pp more then we paid a few months ago.)

Out of 8 cruises, we have only been upgraded twice. Once, the ship was rather new and the people in our original cabin, from the week before, had a complaint about it, we never did find out why. The other time was when a cruise line re-sold our cabin by mistake. Upgrades are given at times, but not always, so don't count on it. Book what you will be happy with, don't go cheap expecting to be bumped up. We prefer not to book guarantees, we did it once and it turned out fine, but we prefer to know where we will be prior to embarkation.

we where upgraded twice when sailing on celebrity..the first sailing they placed us like 5 levels up..but as the other cruiser stated, that does not happen often..What I like to do is this..when first arriving at port,( and you,ll have to arrive early) I ask for upgrades and how much..If the ship is not sold out, your in luck, sometimes they,ll upgrade you without cost, other times the cost will be so cheap, you can,t pass it up..of course this doesn,t happen as much as it used to, as one cruiser noted..most ships sell out now..but its allways good to ask for a better cabin..

Archived