Do I Need To Bring My Passport On Shore Excursions?

BlueWaterBaby

My point is people seem to think a passport is a bar of gold, to be kept in a safe at all costs. Claims of worry about loosing it etc. I do not find a passport any more valuable than any of my other listed. My habits safeguard my property, as I mentioned, I've been carrying my passport- every day, for years.

It is a bar of gold and anyone who believes otherwise is naive or doesn't realize how much they can fetch on the black market. Your driver's license not so much as it can't get a bad guy into the USA.

Americans are the only people in the world who have hangups about carrying their passports when traveling abroad. It’s bizarre.

For me, the passport is used to get through airports/borders. As soon as I get to my destination, be it a ship or a hotel, the passports go in the safe and don't get taken out again until it's time to move on. They just aren't an issue. I would never consider carrying them around with me unless I was specifically told to.

For whatever reason (and as a terrible generalisation), Americans seem to stress over this sort of thing more than other nationalities. I don't know why that is.

Last week on the Escape we were told to bring photo ID. The only port we were asked to show it was Nassau....and of course that was the port that my husband did not bring photo ID. Luckily I had mine, and our last names are similar enough (mine is hyphenated) that they allowed him through with me, and my ID.

I was not looking forward to walking back to the ship to get his ID, walking back to the port area and then back to the ship again. Very fortunate they let him through!

I never bring my passport with me on tours, but, last year while in Belize we were doing a private excursion cave tubing tour and we were a little late getting back, traffic was horrendous. We didn't miss the last tender to the ship but it was close, the only thing that saved us was there was a ship tour running late also so they waited.....I was really wishing i had my passport with me. Our next ship stop was in a different country, getting a flight without my passport might of been difficult. So from now on it will be on a port by port basis for me.

I agree. I won’t be out of my home country without it on me. Period. Americans are the only people in the world who have hangups about carrying their passports when traveling abroad. It’s bizarre.

I think this is probably because, generally speaking, Americans don't travel abroad as frequently/easily as citizens of other countries - especially Europeans. In Europe, one can hop on a train or in the car and travel to several different countries within hours. The only land borders we have here are with Canada and Mexico, and we didn't even need passports to visit either place until about 10 years ago. We're just not used to carrying them. There are many, many Americans who don't even HAVE a passport.

That being said, this American carries her passport at all times when out of the country.

I think this is probably because, generally speaking, Americans don't travel abroad as frequently/easily as citizens of other countries - especially Europeans. In Europe, one can hop on a train or in the car and travel to several different countries within hours. The only land borders we have here are with Canada and Mexico, and we didn't even need passports to visit either place until about 10 years ago. We're just not used to carrying them. There are many, many Americans who don't even HAVE a passport.

That being said, this American carries her passport at all times when out of the country.

Very accurate. I am very atypical as I use my passport with travel every month. Rarely am I just sailing the Caribbean, which is a common US destination. So, as I mention, each person, needs to make their own choices.

I'll mention again- all it will take is ONE incident to happen, and you won't be without that passport again. Sorry the "hasn't happened in the past" thinking means absolutely- nothing. (do you really think it is some sort of protective screen?) It's never expected and can occur randomly.

Leave it on the ship as it isn't needed. No point in putting it at risk as it will be needed to re-enter the US. If it is needed on a port day such such as when someone is going to miss the ship it can easily be retrieved by the staff, plenty of processes in place for that including a port agent at every stop.