Social WiFi Plan

steelersfan4ever

Its definitely slow if your going to send, upload or receive picture messages on FB messenger or surf FaceBook. Just plain texts through FB messenger is pretty quick though as sending and receiving FB texts doesn't need a whole lot of bandwidth. Connectivity on the ship depends on the ship and how well their WiFi is setup and how many repeaters or wifi antenna's they have through out the ship.

I was reading on the Carnival website that the Social WiFi Plan was available for pre-purchase for a discount, but must be purchased for the entire length of the cruise.

Once on board, it could be purchased at a "daily rate."

Can anyone tell me what the difference in price would be if I were to purchase it before the cruise versus on the cruise? I'm wondering if it might be cost effective to only purchase a couple of days as needed while on the cruise as I don't anticipate needing to use it daily, but using it for a couple of check-ins with photos would be handy.

I was just on the Carnival Splendor with the super-expensive "premium" package and it was practically unusable. Web pages would take 30-60 seconds to come up -- if they ever did. It took me literally 3 hours to download one Kindle book. Half the time the websites wouldn't connect because they timed out. I was looking at my Internet speed and during the day, I'd get 8-24kbps (that's kbps, NOT mbps!). If I was logged in at 3am I could get a few hundred kbps.

That said, the Internet probably varies from ship to ship, and also based on where the ship is located because of the satellite signal. I also think the number of people who sign up and use the service also impacts the speed, which is why the Internet was pretty much fully unusable during the day, but was only somewhat unusable at 3am.

Has anyone used the $4 per day Social Wifi Plan? I was wondering if it was fast? Did it work all over the ship? Can I use Facebook messenger on it? Thanks in advance for any help.

I bought all levels of service on the Dream in March, Social for me, the Value for my wife and the Premium for my daughter. Premium was usable, but barely. It absolutely was not fast. Loading an image on Facebook took over a minute. Social and Value were only usable for texting really.

I was just on the Carnival Splendor with the super-expensive "premium" package and it was practically unusable. Web pages would take 30-60 seconds to come up -- if they ever did. It took me literally 3 hours to download one Kindle book. Half the time the websites wouldn't connect because they timed out. I was looking at my Internet speed and during the day, I'd get 8-24kbps (that's kbps, NOT mbps!). If I was logged in at 3am I could get a few hundred kbps.

That said, the Internet probably varies from ship to ship, and also based on where the ship is located because of the satellite signal. I also think the number of people who sign up and use the service also impacts the speed, which is why the Internet was pretty much fully unusable during the day, but was only somewhat unusable at 3am.

Yep, this is a great description of the internet on the Dream also.