Flying to your cruise? Post your tips here

cusyl

If you are bringing presents in your carry- on do not wrap them as they will be opened by the inspectors (especially if wrapped in foil paper)

Take everything out of your pockets before you get in line and put them in a baggie, put the baggie in the carrier to go thru the machine. (This will save time and speed up the line)

Always fly in a day or two before your cruise. It relives alot of stress. If your flight is delayed due to weather or mechanical problems it can cause a big problem by missing your ship. Fly in a day or two early and your well rested for your cruise.

Wear shoes that are easy to take off and put back on.

Ran into this problem when I went to Berlin and wore my black zip-up boots. I'm wearing flip-flops next time!

Bring a drink with you if you want a bottle of water or something for the airport.

I paid 3 dollars for a bottle of apple juice!

Have a way to call someone if somebody is picking you up.

We got delayed in Chicago on the way home and I didn't have my cell phone (which would have worked and not even been on roaming), phone card and couldn't call a cell phone collect. So I had to trek all over the terminal to buy a phone card to let my parents know we'd be late.

Pack lightly in your carry on. Use ziploc bags to pack everything into your carryon, that way if they have to hand search your bag, it is easier to repack - they can pull out the ziploc bags and see everything.

Carry a pair of socks and a change of underwear in your carryon. If your flight is delayed for long periods of time, changing your socks and underwear can make you feel fresher.

That's true. And I'm not saying that you're wrong. But in my case, we wouldn't be able to run for a connection anyway because we'll have my grandma with us and I honestly don't think she'd be able to. And I would personally be able to run in my flat flip-flops (not my platform though) But if that is something that is a real possibility for you, a sandal with an ankle strap that can be slipped on and off easily is best.

That's true. And I'm not saying that you're wrong. But in my case, we wouldn't be able to run for a connection anyway because we'll have my grandma with us and I honestly don't think she'd be able to. And I would personally be able to run in my flat flip-flops (not my platform though) But if that is something that is a real possibility for you, a sandal with an ankle strap that can be slipped on and off easily is best.

You can arrange for the electric cart to transport grandma and your group to a far off gate before the plane lands.

Not to be scary or anything, it is a bad idea to wear anything flimsy on a plane in case there is an accident (unlikely I know but). A better option would be to wear say a pair of loafers - they can be taken off a lot easier than sneakers or boots, but they are a lot sturdier than flip flops in case something happens and you need to exit the plane quickly.

Get to the airport early, better to be there early than stuck and miss the flight. Keep a days change of clothes in your carryon, They have lost many a suitcase. ;) Don't pack important stuff like meds in your suitcase( keep them with you). Bring snacks and drinks just in case!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob :rolleyes:

10 Tips For Holiday Travel

Gas up the night before you travel; no one leaves enough time for buying gas on the way to the airport.

Investigate your frequent flyer options to get better (and better guaranteed) seats.

Bring diversions. Take along work, books, magazines, a CD player, some healthy snacks -- whatever you need to get through delays. This goes double when traveling with kids.

Keep your cool. Airline employees have considerable power over your well-being. Unfortunately many enjoy wielding it against you, and few respond well to anger.

Have phone numbers for everything: your hotel, your car rental agency, your airline, friends at your destination. Directory assistance is expensive, whether from your cell, from a phone booth or from home.

Check flight status repeatedly. Know your airline's 800 number as well as your flight numbers and exact times.

When traveling on an E-ticket, carry a printout of your itinerary from your airline or booking site.

Choose nonstop flights. The worst, most brutal delays occur in connecting airports, where you have no home, friends or family to retreat to.

Don't overpack even checked luggage; overstuffed bags that must be opened for a security check are much harder to repack.

Do not wrap gifts, especially if you intend to carry them on the plane. Even in checked baggage, there is a strong chance they will be unwrapped for inspection by security personnel. Consider gift bags instead of wrapping paper this holiday season -- you can easily remove the items from their bags if required and you don't have to do a last-minute wrapping job at your destination.

Give your cell phone a full charge, and write down or program the phone number of your airline so you can call easily as your flight time approaches.

Archived