Vision of the Seas-Brass, Marble, Glass, and Class-My Review-11/27

Stats:

This was my second cruise - last in 1996; my wife’s first. [To lower her expectations, she was told that the cruise experience was like a barge with a tent on it. She thought for a moment and exclaimed, "If that is true then why do we have to take dress clothes for formal night?" Smart girl, I thought. So I then confessed and told her that in actuality the barge has two tents instead of one!]

Pre-Cruise:

Hilton, Long Beach. Excellent stay. Harbor view (not see ship).

$69.00/nite @ Priceline (start at $65.00/nite). Parking/indoor, in & out privileges $11/day.

Embarkation:

San Pedro-Nice clean terminal. The city reminds me of a quaint shore town. [i arrived Saturday and asked the security guard if I could go into the terminal area to see what it looked like. She said no and to wait until I depart the next day. Good answer.] The only hotel I saw was the Best Western situated right across the street from the terminal-Ports of Call Village.

After parking in the lot ($12/day-$84/week) and taking a short shuttle ride to the terminal (the lot is within walking distance but you’d prefer the shuttle, if driving), we waited an hour and a half to get on board at 1pm. The delay was stated to be that the photographer’s camera was not working. [i hope that wasn’t the case but it was now too late get an upgrade or get good seating in the dining room.] BTW, we did not receive a security photo ON our Seapass. When questioned about this no one knew what I was talking about. Not sure if I needed one.

The Ship:

The Ship is in excellent shape for its age. Maintenance is ongoing and it is not in need of a huge overhaul. I am aware that she will be in drydock early next year. I am sure in stating that this will not be for a massive change. (Many have made mention of the fact that the ship will be in drydock. I’ve got the feeling that not too much will be done overall and persons going on the cruise next year will boast and be stunned about how marvelous the ship looks when in actuality what they will be seeing is almost how the ship looks now. ) Wear & tear is not noticeable unless you are an avid reader of Cruise Critic, then you will tend to look.

When we were standing in line, waiting ½ an hour to depart, I saw where some glass in the lobby was slightly chipped. That is nothing compared to seeing a person physically lean on a piece of artwork [glass piece right near the Champagne Terrace, centered in front of the Centrum stairs]! I am aware of the fact that they were tired from standing, but . . . to lean on a piece of glass artwork was a bit much! It withstood the weight quite well!

The Cabin (Outside/2530):

I was surprised when I entered the room. For two persons the cabin was very comfortable and we did not get in each other’s way. Regarding the issue of the ship’s age, the only wear spots I could detect was in the cabin – the couch was a bit frayed at the bottom where people obviously pass by to get to the bed. The carpet in the room was recently replaced. They did a good job but you could tell that it was done recently.

The Food:

[i’m doing my very best at keeping this piece very positive-and I shall continue!] If you want to lose weight on a cruise then eat in the Dining Room for all meals. They do exceptionally well with presentation. An encounter in the Dining Room for lunch made the Windjammer’s fare quite delectable. I ordered a Chicken Wrap and received chicken on top of lettuce garnished beautifully with shredded vegetables. I was sure ready for dinner after that nifty appetizer [marked entrée]. The Windjammer was by far more diverse in their offerings and was right on target for what was wished for. Dinner in the Dining Room was also good, not great but good. Since my first cruise I can see how the food offerings have changed - thus the revolution of specialty restaurants onboard. The combinations of all food venues are good, but don’t stick with one. Best discovery – "Afternoon Tea": I never knew that more than tea and pastries are offered at this time. If you are late for lunch after coming back from an excursion, I highly recommend that you go to the Windjammer for afternoon tea – good variety to hold you til dinner. Never went to the Solarium to eat but I heard that the hamburgers were very good.

The Service:

Assistant waiter and headwaiter were more attentive that the waiter. BTW, singing waiters and canned music don’t go together. Things must have changed over the years - on my previous cruise the waiters sang just about every night without canned music. They would sing the international song of the cuisine of the evening - too bad that that is a thing of the past.

The cabin steward, Desmond was friendly, efficient and yet not overbearing-we hardly saw him. When we needed him – ‘viola’ - he was there! In the beginning, I requested 2 robes and an ‘egg crate’ cover for the mattress and he promptly brought them by the evening-without tipping him. I made sure that he got his tip and then some during the week and at the end of the cruise. The bar service was also good and drinks were prepared just as well. When I declined drinks in the lounges, they would sit a napkin in front of you and turn it over – never to be bothered again –

but were always available if I changed my mind.

The Entertainment:

We were presented with production shows and "celebrities" who juggled, pantomimed, drummed and were comedians. The singers in the production shows were good and would have been better if they were showcased in one program. However, the production shows were a hodgepodge of music from here, there and everywhere. A mix that got mixed up – it wasn’t bad, but IMHO, the celebrities were better.

All is good when you take into consideration that they maintain their balance when the ship is obviously rocking. The last night a comedian was on and was telling a joke when the ship dipped and the audience went WHOAAA!! He continued as if nothing happened. I missed the joke but was amazed at how well he delivered the joke without literally slipping. (They must wear rubber shoes or something.) Cruise director John Blair kept us entertained throughout.

The Activities:

Gym was of nice size with good equipment but I didn’t use it. (Why run on a treadmill when you can walk/jog around the ship? Why use the stairmaster when you could climb the steps to the Windjammer from Deck 2?) We preferred to walk all over the ship before and after the meals – it’s fun especially under the sun and stars.

There are many other activities/game shows etc. that I do not have time to list and we missed most of them. Many start late in the evening and we didn’t get to make it due to other activities.

Ports of Call – We chose to leisurely leave the ship and walk or take a cab around the cities:

-Cabo San Lucas – After tendering to the marina, you we were lavishly welcomed with entreaties that ranged from hats, jewelry, trinkets and stuff like that. Remember, for some, this is how they make a daily living. As for me, I also make a living, daily. In order for me to continue and perhaps save for another cruise, I graciously declined. The sites around the city are touristy but nice.

-Mazatlan – After leaving the ship, we hired a driver at a good price ($20.00/3hrs) to take us on a city tour with shopping. Saw a cliff diver and various sights. [i know that in the land of Frank & Randi, I should have opted for something else but I was delighted to take this approach to the city.] The downtown market was interesting and the area all around was fun to navigate. I was surprised to see a distinct and vivid brown cloud over the city.

-Puerto Vallarta - After leaving the ship, we hired a driver at a good price ($25.00/3hrs) to take us on a city/residential tour with shopping. This was a more private and enjoyable tour with 2 other couples. The area has a tropical, fun and easy feel. Worth coming back to. Walked around the pier and stopping by the Krystal Resort. Our favorite & most romantic port. A must is the Malecon for a stroll and the shops off the beaten path and not across from the beach.

The Weather:

California was blustery and very windy. The news reported that there were blackouts and trees down in the Los Angeles area. Yet the day we left, the weather was fine and cool. Mexico in November is excellent – not hot, not humid – just right! It seemed to improve at each port. I noticed that the cruise tends to be a bit rocky when it leaves and enters the "California waters." But this does not take away from the cruise as long as you are prepared.

The Debark:

As was mentioned before it took at least 2 hours before we got to our car. The day before we were given our "exit luggage tags." I saw that there were colors for an earlier departure. Requested this from the Purser’s desk and they gladly gave me them. They said that we would be called between 8-8:30. We were called around 9:00 and it took an hour from there.

The End:

Overall, this was a very good cruise. Although she "felt" sick twice, leaving and entering the waters in the USA, my DW enjoyed it very much. When asked how much a cruise like this would cost, my DW wife started at $3,000 each! She was surprised when I told her the actual price. Yes, she wants to go again.

NOTABLES:

-This cruise requires that you turn your clocks forward and back twice! Not a real problem but you’re usually asking what time is it on this cruise.

-As a repeat customer we received a tote bag, coupon book and went to the party with free drinks and dancing.

-Souvenirs – we got the standards: keychains, sombreros, and a wooden figurine of a sailfish/marlin. I had my hand on a larger one/nicer one and passed it up since I thought I could get one better. Regrettably, it didn’t happen! PLEASE whatever you do – if you see something you like AND if you barted for it for a good price – please, please go ahead and get it!

-Water – Brought a case on board (I had one luggage tag left over and stuck it on the case. The porter gladly took it with the luggage.

-Leaving the Viking Crown Lounge one formal evening [no one there except the bartender, waiter and an officer; we left to change and come back], an officer at the bar asked us something jokingly and I said something jokingly. The waiter came over and asked me, "do you know who you are talking to?" I guessed perhaps the Hotel director. The waiter said, "No, that’s the captain!" We continued and I left WITHOUT a picture with him and my DW! (my second regret)

Rating:

On a scale of 1-10, I’d rate this cruise a 9. If I hadn’t been on a previous cruise I’d say 10 but service has slipped a notch – which is not really surprising. Given that my DW was very much impressed at everything, this is a winner. (After getting sick the first night she was upset and said that she never wanted to cruise again, by the end of the cruise, her story had dramatically changed. Please make sure you take the motion sickness medicine BEFORE you start cruising!)

RCI’s product is glass, brass, marble and class.

It works for us, awaiting our next – destined to be the Radiance class.

POSTSCRIPT:

At the end of the Loyalty/Appreciation Program a woman smiled at my DW and they greeted each other. It was then that I would have the privilege of meeting Janet. Janet was alone at the time and advised us that she usually travels with her husband but unfortunately, he died earlier this year. Although they were married eight years, her mention of him and her sincere expression of their relationship gave evidence of a marriage to be admired. We spoke of how much they loved cruising and she suggested that we should plan on shopping extensively in Puerto Vallarta. A suggestion that was very true indeed. We talked all the way to the Dining Room and parted since her table was upstairs. I thought about inviting her for a drink or perhaps going with us on an excursion in PV but rather than mentioning it at the time, I thought I would wait until I saw her again. Regrettably, it didn’t happen! Another…and my biggest regret! I wish Janet well. I am so sorry that we passed up such a wonderful opportunity to know such a warm and gracious person. My biggest regret.

P.P.S.:

Things we took but did not use:

Electrical/power strip. We didn’t have so many electrical things to use all at once

Highlighter pen

Hand sanitizer – this was generously provided on the ship may still be need when on excursions.

Over-the-door shoe holder – there was enough storage room

Clothes steamer

Duct tape

Bar soap

Things we took and were glad we did:

An air freshener, did not need one with a plug or a light just something to put in the bathroom!!!!!

A large cup – 20 oz.

A small medicine "chest" with Immodium, sea sick pills, etc.

Nightlight – although we were in an outside cabin, it was still good to have at night

Dollars - Singles ($50 worth)/Fives ($40 worth)

Downey wrinkle release – finally found it in Target [this stuff is hard to find]

Sunscreen

Sunglasses

Camera

Ribbon or baby toy to identify luggage

Cruise tickets & Passport [ha, ha, just thought I’d put that in there!]

Comfy shoes and sandals

Clothes pins – to hold the shower curtain down!

Extra hangers

Ziploc bags

ty for the review, we're doing that itinerary next Dec. and now I have some more things to think about concerning shore excursions. Your list of what you took and needed, and what you took and didn't need was extremely helpful. Did the Hilton in Long Beach have an on site restaurant? When did you put in your bid on Priceline? A TA had posted that boarding Vision was being delayed lately by the Customs people being picky, so maybe the "camera isn't working" story was a cover-up. You don't get a pic on your SeaPass card, your picture comes up for the security guy to look at when you punch in and out. Glad your DW is hooked now, you'll be sailing more often!!

wolfcathorse -

Yes, the Long Beach Hilton has a restaurant. Didn't seem crowded.

The lounge area is even nice.

I put my bid in around Aug. 3/4 months before.

I tend to think that Hilton will accept low bids because there is

absolutely no business on the weekends. It is dead down there at that time.

I would tend to agree with your TA. Although we passed on through is was slow. That was my first time in LA so it's hard for me to tell but it did take a little while. By the time you got the point of being frustrated, the line moved rapidly.

Thanks for the review. We go on the Vision on 1/12/06 (just out of Drydock). We will have a review post drydock on how the ship looks. She is also being drydocked in San Francisco so we will be able to get some photos of her high and dry jsut prior to our sailing.

Hello All,

We go on the vision on 2/12/06 as well and would love any input after dry dock. Sometimes they are just touch ups and sometimes they are major changes. Any idea how long Vision OTS will be in drydock? Interested...

Thanks and Happy Holidays to All

Happy Cruisin;)

Archived