Deluxe drink package

yulcruiser

My family and I sailed with RC in July. Some of us purchased the drink package and others (in the same cabin) did not purchase anything. We were told that RC no longer required all adults in the same stateroom to purchase the drink package if anyone purchases a package.

RC changed that rule recently, and now requires all adults in a stateroom to purchase a package.

Taking my son and his girlfriend on a RC in Dec., and I bought the deluxe pkg. for both of them [in their late 20's], paid the $55per person, per day and the total was just shy of $500. I've called RC 3 times now to MAKE SURE the 18% tip is NOT added to every drink they order with this pkg. They assure me, no tips will be added. With that said...... How did the previous poster's bar bill get to $906, if tips are supposed to be included. Is RC telling me the truth, or not?? Yikes......

Mine came out to that price because it was for a 7 night trip.

$55/day x 7 days = $385

$385 x .18 = $69.30

Total = $454.30

Total 2 people = $908.60

On our sailing in 2016, you could buy the Deluxe package just the last couple of days of the cruise. Is that still available while on the ship? For instance... if I just wanted to buy it the last day (purchase on the ship, not beforehand)... I could have. Does that still exist?

On our sailing in 2016, you could buy the Deluxe package just the last couple of days of the cruise. Is that still available while on the ship? For instance... if I just wanted to buy it the last day (purchase on the ship, not beforehand)... I could have. Does that still exist?

RC's rule says there must be at least 4 days left in the cruise to purchase onboard, but you may find some ships will allow a purchase closer to the end of the cruise.

So here's the scenario I'm in.

Booked onboard my last cruise and when it came time for putting names in, I got told I couldn't leave one blank and travel as a solo cruiser. So we put in John Smith.

Now due to this policy change, I have to buy a package for John Smith as well. I sure as hell aren't paying over $1000 so I can have a package.

I still have one mate who's considering whether they can afford to come along or not. If they do come then they will have a package and all is sweet.

If they don't, how do I go about getting a package for myself? If I call will they sell me one package on the grounds that I tell them I'm travelling solo? Will that cause issues trying to add a second real person when my mate works out if he can come?

Stupid people ruining it for everyone!

Booked onboard my last cruise and when it came time for putting names in, I got told I couldn't leave one blank and travel as a solo cruiser. So we put in John Smith.

Now due to this policy change, I have to buy a package for John Smith as well. I sure as hell aren't paying over $1000 so I can have a package.

I still have one mate who's considering whether they can afford to come along or not. If they do come then they will have a package and all is sweet.

If they don't, how do I go about getting a package for myself? If I call will they sell me one package on the grounds that I tell them I'm travelling solo? Will that cause issues trying to add a second real person when my mate works out if he can come?

You can wait until you are onboard to purchase, in which case you can buy one if your mate is a no show.

You can wait until you are onboard to purchase, in which case you can buy one if your mate is a no show.

Ahh, I probably should have mentioned the exchange rate issue.

The package is approx $65 AUD a day if I buy online at the moment, coming to approx $550 a person. The last couple of cruises I've been on where the price has been say $65 AUD online, it's then been $65 USD onboard the ship.

By the time you factor in the exchange rate that makes it around $90 AUD a day buying it onboard.

I would buy for both people now, then if you do indeed travel solo, the other one will be refunded at sailing b/c of the "no-show" just like how the port fees will be refunded for the additional person.

After many cruises, last year I finally bought the deluxe drink package and thoroughly enjoyed not having to worry about the “final bill”. My husband bought the refreshment package (he doesn’t drink) and he too enjoyed it.

This year I am traveling with my mother who is Diamond Plus and benefits from the Diamond Lounge. She does not drink due to a medical issue.

I have been looking forward to repeating the pleasure of paying for my package up front and just relaxing and enjoying my cruise with a morning espresso, fresh juice, a drink or two by the pool, pre-diner drinks, wine with dinner... well you get it!

I was shocked today when I was told that as my mother is not interested in a drink package of any kind I could not benefit from a drink package. What can I say, they don’t want my money.

I understand that Royal probably deals with people “generously” sharing their drink package with those around them... and I believe they are probably the same people who get up at 5am and put a towel and a library book on a lounge chair and then go back to bed... but was this the only solution?

The few have ruined it for the many.

Or put another way- the honest pay the price for those who aren’t.

Royal Caribbean instead of addressing the issue with those who cause the problem- instead of the bartenders being more aware and barring customers who “share”- have adopted a draconian solution to solve the problem- or maybe just to make more money by forcing people who don’t want a package to buy one.

Unfortunately this customer is very disappointed. I used to love cruising because it was effortless, I’m starting to abandon that premise.

Disappointed.

YULCruiser

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it's of any help, I took a RCCL cruise to Pacific coast in October and didn't buy the deluxe package because of the number of days we were in port, etc., didn't seem to be a good value. However, they offered a drink package on the 1st day we were at sea (3rd day of cruise) where I could buy 10 drinks for $75, so about a $5/drink savings vs. ala carte. This worked out perfect given how much time was left on the cruise and how much I really expected to be drinking (not near as much as I would in the Caribbean, lol). Waiters were walking around the pool area selling these, you basically got a 10 drink punch card that you presented to your server or at whatever bar/restaurant you were in. Not ideal, I know....but good luck.

If it's of any help, I took a RCCL cruise to Pacific coast in October and didn't buy the deluxe package because of the number of days we were in port, etc., didn't seem to be a good value. This cruise allowed for a single person in cabin to purchase deluxe while other bought soft drink package. With regard to drink-a-doodles, they offered a drink package on the 1st day we were at sea (3rd day of cruise) where I could buy 10 drinks for $75, so about a $5/drink savings vs. ala carte. This worked out perfect given how much time was left on the cruise and how much I really expected to be drinking (not near as much as I would in the Caribbean, lol). Waiters were walking around the pool area selling these, you basically got a 10 drink punch card that you presented to your server or at whatever bar/restaurant you were in. Not ideal, I know....but good luck.

Have a cruise coming up on January. My wife and I both wanted the package so no problem. Friends going with us. He wanted the package, she doesn't drink. Right after this announcement came out I had him call Royal and order the package for just himself. He was able to do it and told them she doesn't drink, she really doesn't, so they did the exception thing. This was right after like I said and they were allowing the exceptions. Now I'm seeing they don't do that anymore. Glad for him that he was able to sneak in under the wire.