Can anyone please update the solstice norovirus situation

portcbob

I was on the 11-25th Nov sailing from Auckland to Sydney and didn't hear of any reported cases.

The impact on our sailing included -

- Delayed check-in time which actually did create a bit of chaos on the first day. Celebrity provided a $25 onboard credit for each passenger as compensation

- Buffet stations were covered up for the first few days and food had to be dished out by staff. This changed back to self service during the cruise.

- Hand sanitizer was handed out everywhere

- Items such as menus and salt and pepper shakers were initially removed but were introduced back

- Books from the library were removed

I think they have got it under control otherwise they wouldn't have change the buffet back to self-service.

I was on the 11-25th Nov sailing from Auckland to Sydney and didn't hear of any reported cases.

The impact on our sailing included -

- Delayed check-in time which actually did create a bit of chaos on the first day. Celebrity provided a $25 onboard credit for each passenger as compensation

- Buffet stations were covered up for the first few days and food had to be dished out by staff. This changed back to self service during the cruise.

- Hand sanitizer was handed out everywhere

- Items such as menus and salt and pepper shakers were initially removed but were introduced back

- Books from the library were removed

I think they have got it under control otherwise they wouldn't have change the buffet back to self-service.

Thanks for the update, I'll be sailing on the same cruise next month, and am so glad to hear its under control.

We are onboard right now, November 25th sailing. We were slightly delayed getting into our cabins . It was 2:30-3:00 before all cabins were ready. However we did board about 11:30 and then just waited to enter cabins. We were handed a letter upon boarding stating that for 72 hours they are doing enhanced sanitation. Buffet is all covered with plastic wrap and guests cannot service themselves. It makes things a little crazy but I’d rather have them take these precautions so that everyone stays well. No salt and pepper shakers, no bread baskets at dinner. ( they serve the bread to you) no books in library. Lots of hand sanitizer people.

Tomorrow will be 72 hours so hopefully everything will be back to normal if everyone stays well.

Has anyone got a further recent update please.

Cheers Bob.:)

We are onboard now. November 25-December 9.

We have not heard of any outbreak of Noro and everything is running normally onboard.

Hope it stays this way for the remainder of cruise and all of the following cruises as well.

Books in the library being removed seems like an odd precaution. What percentage of noro cases are likely transmitted by books in the library? Much more likely are the things that are touched dozens of times each day between cleanings: Stair handrails, the bar/barstool, a seat in theater, your seat in the Lido dining area, (basically and seat in any public area on the ship I guess), the elevator button, and a thousand more I haven't thought of.

Maybe they figure books in the library aren't easily cleaned, as hard surfaces are. But they are touched far less frequently than many of the hard surfaces are between cleanings. And there are plenty of soft surfaces, such as seat cushions, that are also not easily cleaned.

No great harm done though, since I don't get the impression the books are widely used. And those that do use them probably don't begrudge eliminating them as a precaution.

I have been reading some of the recent reviews from Solstice on this site and some are not to favourable - some have complained about the norovirus situation.

We will be doing our first cruise on March 2018 on Solstice and hope that the ship is in 100% good health with no sign of norovirus

We are on the solstice right now. The first 3 or 4 days it was still.under containment level 3 ( served buffet service, no break basket and salt and pepper on the table, etc ). After those first days the captain said the containment has been lifted as they were able to prevent further spread. They do have allot of sanitizing attendant for hand washing everywhere you go. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

Books in the library being removed seems like an odd precaution. What percentage of noro cases are likely transmitted by books in the library? Much more likely are the things that are touched dozens of times each day between cleanings: Stair handrails, the bar/barstool, a seat in theater, your seat in the Lido dining area, (basically and seat in any public area on the ship I guess), the elevator button, and a thousand more I haven't thought of.

Maybe they figure books in the library aren't easily cleaned, as hard surfaces are. But they are touched far less frequently than many of the hard surfaces are between cleanings. And there are plenty of soft surfaces, such as seat cushions, that are also not easily cleaned.

Tell that to the people that lick their finger before turning each page.