pier in shanghai

schooltchr

We went to Shanghai, Mar 01, on Regal Princess, and docked very close to the Bund (downtown).

I do know a later cruise, Sapphire Princess, docked out at the container port, much farther out.

The R class ships, with their relatively shallow draft and small size, should be able to get to the Bund area.

Good luck, we enjoyed Shanghai much more than Beijing - but realize that is a very subjective opinion.

In regard to ports on the Asia cruises: how does one find out where the ship will dock in a particular port? On maps of the various ports (in travel books) , it often shows a "cruise port" but I suppose that could vary, due to the size of the ship.

The only port that is definitely not near the city seems to be Xiangang (sp??)--for Beijing. I thought I remembered that there were people who had posted on this board, who were taking late October/November '05 cruises, who would have been there, and might post some info on their return. A friend did a cruise on a Princess about four years ago, but didn't keep any of her information--darn. hmh

Another Asian port which is far from the city is Laem Chabang. My friends are all staying overnight at a hotel in Bangkok so they can see the wonderful sights. My DH took me back there last year to see what we missed there years ago when we docked about two hours away. The traffic is so horendous that you can't go back and forth to the ship on an overnight in port.

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...

The port depends on the size of your ship. The Sapphire and Diamond Princess dock at the container port that is a considerable distance from Shanghai. The Pacific Princess and the Oceania ships generally dock near The Bund.

Laem Chabang is definitely a long ride. We did go from Bangkok on some type of burial holiday and it took more than a couple of hours on a Princess transfer.

Xingang (sp?) is also a long ride, but on a highway as opposed to surface roads. There are no facilities on the coach and the Princess transfer stops at one rest stop about half way--be prepared.

If your ship is smaller than 60,000 tons, it will fit very nicely at the Shanghai Cruise Terminal downtown. This is the site of the old Japanese and German Embassies - that have now been taken over by the Chinese Navy.

There are loads of taxis at the pier. Taxi fares are very reasonable.

You can walk from the Pier to the Peace Hotel in about 10 minutes.

Shanghai is argualbly the most exciting city in Asia right now. You are guaranteed a great time there.

Archived