Poolside Theater - Your Thoughts?

DiverDavid

Should Royal Caribbean add poolside theaters?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should Royal Caribbean add poolside theaters?

• Yes, it will be great!
    • No, please, no!
    • Don't really care.

Was just reading the latest Cruise Critic newsletter and got thinking about Carnival adding the poolside movie theater. The writer talked about enjoying watching CNN's American Morning while eating breakfast. While I enjoy CNN every morning myself, I go on a cruise to get away from my daily world as much as possible. How about you?

I'm going on a cruise to get as far away from the real world as possible. I definitely don't want to be sitting in the hot tub with news of the real world coming at me. I don't even want TV shows or Movies blaring at me.

If I decide I want to watch movies or t.v. on the cruise, I'll try Princess or Carnival... don't think all of the cruise lines need to copy each other. After all, the difference in the ships/lines is what makes them special, right? I hope nobody ever copies RCI's ice rink...

Since I only sail RCI, I would love it if they designated one particular pool as a movie pool, especially at night, that would be great. But I think it should be isolated away from the other pools, for those who don't want to be bothered.

The smaller ships with the retractable roofs over the solarium pools would be perfect as a optional movie area at night. But I would not want to watch CNN, or any other news on my vacation. No commercials either.

I'm talking first run, new release movies, whatever is in the theater at the time of the cruise-I would love to be on a cruise right now and watch King Kong poolside. But, I will probably never get the chance, as I don't sail other lines, and I do not think RCI will add poolside movies any time soon-they have too many other things up their sleeves-:eek:

We were on the Caribbean Princess in September and the Movies Under The Stars ("MUTS") was really cool! I'm not surprised that other lines are considering adding this feature to their ships. They stopped taking reservations on the week we went, so you had to get there early to get a seat. They brought out a lot of chairs on the deck and a few people were in the pool (about 10pm) watching the movie as well. The way that ship is set up, there are 3 pools on the sun deck...forward, middle and back and the movie was at one of the pools leaving the others available for a quiet swim. It is kinda loud, but didn't find it annoying.

My vote is a definite NO!! I would hate to have a movie or other video crap playing while on a ship, especially by the pool! I agree with others, I go to get away from normal stuff...keep it on the other lines!

NO, NO, NO. Went to watch a movie and fell asleep in deck chair and froze.

When I cover myself with a blanket, my body says "go to sleep!" During the day they had some MTV playing and it was very annoying.

Since I only sail RCI, I would love it if they designated one particular pool as a movie pool, especially at night, that would be great. But I think it should be isolated away from the other pools, for those who don't want to be bothered.

The smaller ships with the retractable roofs over the solarium pools would be perfect as a optional movie area at night. But I would not want to watch CNN, or any other news on my vacation. No commercials either.

I'm talking first run, new release movies, whatever is in the theater at the time of the cruise-I would love to be on a cruise right now and watch King Kong poolside. But, I will probably never get the chance, as I don't sail other lines, and I do not think RCI will add poolside movies any time soon-they have too many other things up their sleeves-:eek:

The Solarium is one of the few "safe havens" for adults only. No way should they take the peaceful relaxing evening away for family movie time! That would just be soooo wrong.

beachchick

The Solarium is one of the few "safe havens" for adults only. No way should they take the peaceful relaxing evening away for family movie time! That would just be soooo wrong.

beachchick

Definite third from me!

beachchick

Fourth from me.

I also think they shouldn´t copy it from Princess. If I want a movie I switch on the TV or go to the Cinema. No need to destroy the night at sea with a movie theatre.

Cannot imagine watching a movie while on a cruise ship. Movies are a form of "escapism" that we enjoy on rainy days at home. The cruise itself is our escape. Why would we want to escape from our escape?? They do have on board cinemas for those who disagree with our assesment. (It IS ok to disagree!)

Please do not impose upon public areas with movies. Art auctions are bad enough already, we don't need more distractions.

We try to avoid watching the news at all costs while on the cruise (See escape reference above). Please, no public TVs, especially giant ones.

Nothing belongs in the solarium except us "crochety" adults. No movies, No TV, No Kids, No shirt, No shoes, No problem!

Geez-so testy about an idea that isn't even gonna happen-I love movies, I guess you guys don't feel the same, that's ok. It's all a wasted conversation anyway, because I have heard nothing about RCI even considering adding poolside movies-but still, what a strong reaction. Guess you guys won't be sitting next to me at King Kong this weekend!!:D

I am a huge movie person. That is why I go to the movie theaters at home to see them. If there is any movie that I want to see I will have seen it before I get on the ship, so there is no reason to show it on the ship. I understand that other people feel different from me but that is why most of the new ships have cinemas.

The sad thing is that I will be forced to miss "Pirates of the Caribbean" when it comes out in theaters. Coincidently I will be in the Caribbean sailing on Freedom of the Seas. So I guess I will have to squeeze it in the four days between when I get back home and when I leave for Vision of thew Seas.

I thought it was a great idea. We just returned from the STAR PRINCESS and the CARIBBEAN PRINCESS. The concept of movies under the stars is a great one. You can see the digital screen really well. The movies are as clear as any big screen movie theater. The only problem is/was...They play the damned thing all day long and you can hear it from miles away. The pools on PRINCESS have music or MUTS blaring all day long. You can not hear yourself think...not a very pleasant experience. The MUTS is a good concept but it needs to be employed appropriately.

ROSS

Archived