Drinks on the Westerdam

ehough

Hello from a newbie! I’m going on my first cruise ever on May 14 to Alaska, aboard the Westerdam, with my husband, parents, and sister.

I’ve been reading about soda cards, but I can’t find any mention of these on the Holland America site. Are these still in use? Can we get them ahead of time, or do we have to wait until we’re onboard? If we can get them ahead of time, how do we go about doing that?

Also, how do alcoholic drinks work? Do we pay with cash, or do we charge it to our account, or is there something else? Sorry for the relatively simple questions, but like I said, it’s my first cruise ;) Thanks for any help!

Hello and welcome. If you are like most of us you will love cruising and you have chosen well for your first cruise with HAL. I have never used a soda card so I can't help with that. I'm sure others will have information for you. As far as alcoholic drinks are concerned, you will each be given a card when you board the Westerdam. This will be the key to your room and the method of paying for everything you buy onboard. It will be linked to a credit card that you provide at check in. At the end of your cruise you will receive a statement showing everything you purchase while on the ship. It is very easy to use the card for drinks, items in the shops onboard, internet access, etc and the charges can add up:eek:. The card is also scanned each time you leave the ship in port and when you return to the ship. This is how they keep track of who leaves and when they return.

Have a wonderful cruise. -g.

You can call ship services (1-800-541-1576) and inquire about the soda card for your cruise. The price seems to vary from ship to ship and it also depends on the length of the cruise.

Sometime you can get the card bought through ship services, sometimes they sell them in the cruise ship terminal, and in most cases you can get them once you are on the ship.

Welcome to CC, ehough. I'm sure you will love your cruise on the Westerdam. We just returned from sailing her last Sunday and I'm working on my review now. You will get a LOT of great information on these boards -- they were incredibly helpful to me before I sailed. Definitely keep your eye on the roll call board for your cruise and try to get to know some of your fellow CCers. Everyone I met on board last week was wonderful. Don't hesitate to ask questions, trust me, we've all been new to cruising at one point. Again, welcome aboard and enjoy! :)

Laura

Sailed on Westerdam Nov 27.

I bought a soda card for my wife. For a 7 day cruise, the cost was $28 + a 15% gratuity. Total $32.20

We were approached by one of the beverage people when we were in the Lido restaurant just after boarding but before our cabin was available. We really did not plan to buy one ahead of time but decided at that time to make the purchase. I think we got our money's worth when comparing to a price of $1.75 + 15% gratuity per canned soda.

Yes, the soda card generally gets you fountain drinks but when we were at some of the bars and always at dinner, we often ended up with a can of diet Coke instead of the fountain drink.

Hope that helps.

Archived