getting nervous - bad weather headed the day i am supposed to fly to FL for my cruise

larasmom

ARGH

murphy's law

supposed to leave 6:50am on friday morning from Baltimore/washington AP to fly to FL for my 5pm ship departing port in Miami

they are calling for an ice storm to hit thursday, thursday night and friday morning.

now i am getting nervous

can't do it. i have 2 kids, my sister has 2 kids, my sister in law has 2 kids. my sister and sil are both at work......and the hubby's that will be staying home for the weekend to watch the kids are all at work.

so.........driving won't work for us. i would change my flights for tonight but that won't either....... my sil has to work on thursday.

im heading down also but to canaveral via reagan national, start doing what i do, beat ol murph by flying down a day ahead, im heading out thursday...and just for that reason in case i have to drive down i have a day advance...good luck and may murphy be sick that day

Do you have insurance? It seems that the two suggestions that may work you are unable to do. I am not sure what else you can do but hope it is not too bad in your area. I had a flight to London during an ice storm, it took a long time (3 hrs) to leave and they had to de-ice twice.....not a fun trip....but we did make it out.

Is there anyway your SIL can get off work on Thurs? I would hate to see you miss your cruise, as I am sure you have been looking forward to it.

Good luck and hope you make it.

Flying down 6 am Fri, storm was supposed to be Thurs, now its Fri am. Ugh. Not leaving until Sunday though, so hopefully that will help. Big meeting at noon in Miami on Friday though that I'd like to make. Keeping the fingers crossed.

In bad weather times, it is a must, specially for this reason. If Airport is closed or fights cancelled with no flight going out that day you get 100% of your money back. SO GET IT IF YOU DON"T - CSA is great! They cover bad weather, cruiseline insurance doesn't, nor does many others.

That is why we never take a trip with out trip insurance. Even if the weather is good so many other things can happen. The plane can have mechanical problems which can also cause a delay, your car can break down on the way to the airport, you can get stuck in traffic, etc. Anything can happen which can cause you to miss the ship.

ARGH

murphy's law

supposed to leave 6:50am on friday morning from Baltimore/washington AP to fly to FL for my 5pm ship departing port in Miami

they are calling for an ice storm to hit thursday, thursday night and friday morning.

now i am getting nervous

Lara, I feel your pain. We leave Saturday to fly to Houston for our cruise. They are calling for snow for our area. Unlike up north, even a little snow shuts down our entire state.

Think good, positive thoughts. We were supposed to get a couple of inches of snow and ice last thursday and it didn't happen - I had been saying major prayers that it wouldn't since I had a final that day.

we have cruise insurance we bought when we booked our cruise. i don't have travel insurance though.

i will just pray

Larasmom,

If it is any consolation - I am originally from the east coast of Canada ( Nova Scotia) where tons of snow is an every day occurence! I used to travel back and forth from Toronto to Halifax every few months during the winter and flew during horrendous weather conditions!

Planes typically take off and land in snow - it's the ice you have to worry about. Hopefully it's just snow and you will be merrily on your way :)

I can sense your anxiety - best advice, stay calm - think good thoughts and enjoy your cruise!

our local TV station just gave a point on this. If possible get to the airport very very early for your departure then see if you can switch to an earlier flight, if there is one. The TA on TV said there shouldn't be a fee for switching to an earlier flight as the airlines don't really want scads of people to deal with if the airport shuts down due to weather. The other point was in this time of year, go the day before embarkation!

we actually are on the first flight out of BWI on southwest to west palm at 6:55am getting us to west palm at 9:30am. there is a flight after that to west palm non stop that gets there at 11am

if not we could always change and fly from BWI on southwest to ft lauderdale

one at 10am that is nonstop that gets us there at 12:45.

my parents live in between the west palm and ft lauderdale airports so they can be at either one to pick us up.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Weather.com is saying 40 degrees and rain at 6am on Friday morning. This is exactly why I am flying down a day early for my cruise in January. Well....that and to see my parents who live in West Palm Beach, FL.

Our cruise leaves Monday. We are flying out Saturday at 4:00pm. I love the fact that I don't have to run around at 3am Saturday morning worrying if everything is packed (or staying up VERY LATE the night before). BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! I booked a flight a day or two before just so I didn't have to worry about weather conditions (I read alot of stories from last year when we booked).

Archived