Questions from a new Royal cruiser

nunuc2000

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I have cruised a fair bit with other lines, but our first time with Royal will be in May. I have a few questions that I'm certain you can all help with :

• We're cruising in Europe on the Brilliance - how formal do guests on those itineraries tend to dress on formal evenings?
  • What amenities, if any, are provided in the room? i.e. shampoo, conditioner, etc.
  • I understand there's no self-serve laundry facilities on board the Royal ships - how much does it cost to have laundry sent out for cleaning? Is it a "per item" charge, or are there any "fill a bag" specials offered on these longer cruises?
  • And finally... we have confirmed "my time dining" for the second leg of this cruise, but we are waited listed for the "my time" option on the first leg - what is your experience with being wait-listed.. were you successfully given "my time" prior to cruising, and if not, how about success being changed upon boarding and seeing the maitre d?

Anything else you can think of that might be unique to Royal?

Thanks for the assistance folks.. and Merry Christmas! :D

Celine

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I have cruised a fair bit with other lines, but our first time with Royal will be in May. I have a few questions that I'm certain you can all help with :We're cruising in Europe on the Brilliance - how formal do guests on those itineraries tend to dress on formal evenings?

• What amenities, if any, are provided in the room? i.e. shampoo, conditioner, etc.
  • I understand there's no self-serve laundry facilities on board the Royal ships - how much does it cost to have laundry sent out for cleaning? Is it a "per item" charge, or are there any "fill a bag" specials offered on these longer cruises?
  • And finally... we have confirmed "my time dining" for the second leg of this cruise, but we are waited listed for the "my time" option on the first leg - what is your experience with being wait-listed.. were you successfully given "my time" prior to cruising, and if not, how about success being changed upon boarding and seeing the maitre d?

Celine

Formal nights on Royal are not strictly enforced. You will be quite comfortable dressing up or not...totally up to you.

Regular staterooms have a small bar of soap and a dispenser in the shower that is supposed to be a combo body wash, shampoo, and conditioner...we bring our own!

Laundry service is available on a per piece basis. They do offer a "bag" of laundry for about $30, but only for things like under garments, socks, pajamas etc. Shirts and pants are done on a per piece price basis.

Good chance your waitlist for MTD will clear before you cruise. If not, head to the MDR when you board and ask the hostess there if you can change. They can usually accommodate your request at that time.

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I have cruised a fair bit with other lines, but our first time with Royal will be in May. I have a few questions that I'm certain you can all help with :

• We're cruising in Europe on the Brilliance - how formal do guests on those itineraries tend to dress on formal evenings?

Celine

I believe you are cruising with us! Here are some answers to your questions.

• We're cruising in Europe on the Brilliance - how formal do guests on those itineraries tend to dress on formal evenings? Fromal dress on Royal has been waning. You will see a few formal gowns and tuxes, some suits and cocktail dresses and a lot of everything else from business casual to VERY casual. I would not worry about it too much. Wear what makes you feel comfortable.
  • What amenities, if any, are provided in the room? i.e. shampoo, conditioner, etc. Not much. Bar soap and In the shower they have a dispenser with shower gel/shampoo. Bring your own if picky. We do.
  • I understand there's no self-serve laundry facilities on board the Royal ships - how much does it cost to have laundry sent out for cleaning? Is it a "per item" charge, or are there any "fill a bag" specials offered on these longer cruises? They have per item charges and also offer a "stuff a bag" special for $35. Only good for underwear, socks, t-shirts, shorts, maybe a polo shirt or casual blouse. Many people do laundry in their room (we don't aside from the occasional item). Google "scrubba bag" if interested.
  • And finally... we have confirmed "my time dining" for the second leg of this cruise, but we are waited listed for the "my time" option on the first leg - what is your experience with being wait-listed.. were you successfully given "my time" prior to cruising, and if not, how about success being changed upon boarding and seeing the maitre d? We have never have been wait listed but i think most that are eventually get in. If not you can certainly try as soon as you board.

The shows are oriented to traditional dining and usually at 7 PM for late diners and 9 PM for early. Sometimes can be difficult with My Time.

Most ships offer a coffee punch card that gives you 15 specialty coffees for $36 with gratuity. This is a good deal if you like coffee but buy it on the ship and first verify that they will give you any size per punch.

Ship sponsored excursions are pretty expensive (hint, hint, sign up for my St. Petersberg tour!).

Stay away from the buffet on embarkation day if you can. Very crowded!

They occasionally offer sales on the cruise planner for drink packages and even internet. Keep checking if interested.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions about the sailing(s) you are on, ask on the roll call. See you on board Brilliance.

You will see all types of dress on formal night. Dress code is a "suggestion." I do think on European cruises passengers do tend to dress up more for dinner and you will see tuxs and suits on the men and cocktail dresses on the women. However, nothing is strictly enforced.

Regular cabins have bar soap and combination shampoo/conditioner in the shower. Suite guests receive more amenities similar to a hotel room.

Laundry and dry cleaning are on a per item basis. You can only do per item pressing only. Some people find expensive; personally find to be the same or actually lower than I pay at home. Wash and fold bag is offered usually around $35. This is for socks, underwear, etc., not "good clothes" as is usually hot wash and dry. Again, suites may have discount or free items.

Check with dining room on boarding. They will probably be able to help you..

Thanks for the info everyone... it's going to be a bit tight for weight restrictions with our luggage... so I think we might opt out of bringing his tux and my formal dresses... but then again, I really enjoy dressing up, and seeing him in his tux makes me swoon every time!!! :hearteyes:

One more question... are there blow dryers in the cabin?

Thanks for the info everyone... it's going to be a bit tight for weight restrictions with our luggage... so I think we might opt out of bringing his tux and my formal dresses... but then again, I really enjoy dressing up, and seeing him in his tux makes me swoon every time!!! :hearteyes:

One more question... are there blow dryers in the cabin?

Yes, there are blow dryers in every stateroom.