Room Service

CruiseCATnMACK

As others have said .. you cannot order off the dining room's dinner menu (unless in a suite).

BUT I think you can order what IS on the room service menu within the hours of operation. I mean a Club Sandwich would be available for 'dinner' should one not want the extensive main dining room meal (if you are not feeling well or want to eat lightly).

They frown on taking meal trays from the Buffet back to your cabin.

Tho I have taken plates of Pizza (tho those were late afternoon snacks not dinner) back to the cabin.

"They"?

If you bring food from the Horizon Court yourself, as a courtesy to the Cabin Steward, simply return the leftovers and all plates etc., back to the Horizon Court. The food trays are the responsibility of the Room Service and if you did not order from Room Service it is not fair to expect Room Service to come to the cabin to pick the leftovers. /Sultan

Partiial Quote:

They frown on taking meal trays from the Buffet back to your cabin.

You cannot order off of the dinner menu..

We just did it on CB in October.My beloved White Sox were in the playoffs and it was during normal dinner hours.We called and ordered steaks,shrimp cocktails,appetizers and dessert.They originally balked so we asked to speak to a headwaiter who we new from previous cruises and they immediately took our order.We were in a BA cabin.Also had a mini on Island to Hawaii last Feb and had dinner in the cabin.Also plan on eating in the cabin next month on Sea Princess.

Maybe it is just the luck of the draw with room stewards, but even in an inside, I was able to get room service for my daughter who was not feeling well off the dinner menu. She did not go overboard (pun) just one or two items. But thats all she gets in the DR anyway.

Frankly, the room is so small it would not be a pleasure to willing dine in the cabin. But they have always been accomodating to me.

This was last March.

I've ordered off the dinner menu in a balcony and will be in our mini suite in a couple of weeks ordering off the menu. Call Princess and they will tell you "If you are in a balcony or better, you get order off the dinner menu" because I called them last cruise :D

I am not a big fan of getting dressed up every night. ;)

Hrm, just because I was curious I called. He said that has never been an option. I told him I done it before and he couldn't say anything. I guess it is who you get. Funny, when we booked the cruise she said that was a perk you get for having a balcony or better...now, the guy said it has never been an option :confused:

Just off the Sapphire on 12/3. Friends of mine on the cruise had dinner in their room at least half the time. They went to the dining room in the afternoon and wrote down what they wanted from the menu that was posted outside and called room service during the dinner hours. They were allowed to order room service from the dinner menu during dining room hours. They also did this last year on the Diamond as did several others in our group. Maybe it's a ship by ship decision. You must know in advance what you want. Cannot just call and ask what's on the menu.

When we were on the Grand we called each day and asked for a dinner menu to be sent to our room. It was always delivered, we ordered from it with no problem. We always tip when the food arrives and this was once rewarded with a surprise tray of canape's delivered to our room.

Frankly, Princess is a bit light on perks for the more upscale accomodations. It makes sense that this is a published perk. One cant expect the office to go against the published guidlines. But we all know that most of them have never been on a cruiseship and are working of the FAQ's.

The reality is that many room stewards are motivated to do what they can, given the number of rooms that they have to service, within reason. I dont think that it is fair for me to expect to be queen for a day on the backs of these guys. They have a lot to do and a lot of fussy people to please that all want to enjoy their vacations, too. But most service industry people do try their best within reason.

Princess is pretty casual for all but the 2 formal nights, and with Personal Choice, it isnt too hard for me to get to the dining room, horizon ct, etc. Short of a minisuite, I dont really enjoy eating in the room. But I understand that its my preference.

Frankly, Princess is a bit light on perks for the more upscale accomodations. It makes sense that this is a published perk. One cant expect the office to go against the published guidlines. But we all know that most of them have never been on a cruiseship and are working of the FAQ's.

The reality is that many room stewards are motivated to do what they can, given the number of rooms that they have to service, within reason. I dont think that it is fair for me to expect to be queen for a day on the backs of these guys. They have a lot to do and a lot of fussy people to please that all want to enjoy their vacations, too. But most service industry people do try their best within reason.

Princess is pretty casual for all but the 2 formal nights, and with Personal Choice, it isnt too hard for me to get to the dining room, horizon ct, etc. Short of a minisuite, I dont really enjoy eating in the room. But I understand that its my preference.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. The food comes from room service, not the cabin stewards.

Ok, I know this is not Princess, but on Disney, our girls were constantly ordering off of room service (and tipping those hard working folks) it got to the point that when they didn't order room service one day, they called to check on them! I really believe that if you are nice and treat and tip appropriately that these folks are more than willing to treat you to what ever you want. Believe me, these kids ordered tons of food and they never balked at the volume. They make money and you get to relax for a night. Everyone wins.;)

We ordered lobsters from room service when we were on the Sun 3 weeks ago. And we were in an inside cabin. I think it really depends upon the ship.

Mary Ellen

How did you go about accomplishing this? We were on the Sun in Oct 05 and didn't know this was an option.

Douglase, my husband & I were having our usual formal night discussion of how much he DIDN'T want to get dressed up, and how much I DID want lobster. On a whim, he said, "Call room service & see if they'll deliver the lobster." So I did! Their only response was, "How many would you like?" And it was in the cabin in 30 minutes.

Mary Ellen

You can ask for whatever you want, but they only guarantee room service menu items (it's stuff like sandwiches). They try to get you what you want, in any cabin...but if you are a suite passenger you are much more likely to get that lobster ;)

As cheap cabin people, we have gotten hot breakfasts, and late night sandwiches and deserts. They have always been really nice about bringing food, even at 1 am :)

We also take food from the buffet to our room and no one has said anything, but we take cookies, bread, cereal, fruit....not messy foods.

If I leave plates in my room, I also add money to the tip for the room steward....those guys work so hard.

Archived