Europe Cruising Safe?

dhatch

We want to cruise Europe (considering River Cruising). With all the troubles, how/where can I find out what areas are safe? :confused
If you're talking about the increased anti-American sentiments reported in the media and by some tourists, I can tell you is that I have not personally experienced it (we travel to several countries in Europe every year). I think most U.S. tourists who visit Europe try to be conscious of the culture differences, but there are a few tourists that go with a different attitude and get disgusted when they can't find someone who speaks English, etc. Those are the same people that are unhappy at home. :) We bend over backwards to be respectful and embrace the locals, and we are always treated very well. A big smile and a few words of their language, especially in France, will be warmly received. We have English friends in the U.K. and Italian friends in Italy, and they tell us (along with the other locals that we meet at sites, our hotels, and restaurants) that although they don't agree with our country's politics, they don't lump all Americans in one category and are upset with the governmental leaders and not individual citizens.

I strongly encourage you to give it a try if you are considering cruising Europe because it is too wonderful to describe in a post. If you have another concern, please post it, and I'm sure you'll find some helpful information on these boards.

Happy travels,

Donna

Wendy and Globaliser,

Thank you for replying to my question. Donna pretty much answered my questions, plus it was good to know riots in France are very localized.

Thanks again, Happy Holidays! dhatch

Superb advice from Donna.

I am not sure what your media has been reporting to get you concerned but in my opinion you would be at no more risk here in Europe than you would in the US. Obviously we all need to be vigilant at the moment regarding terrorist attacks but that is a worldwide threat.

I hope you come to Europe and have a great time.

Nick.

Thank you for replying to my question. Donna pretty much answered my questions, plus it was good to know riots in France are very localized.
Ah, yes - I suspect that even if you'd been a tourist in France at the time of the riots, you probably wouldn't have known that anything was amiss other than by watching or reading the news.

Also, IME any tourist from any country who - like you - even pauses to think about the issue of whether there should be any cultural differences to watch out for is someone who is sensitive enough to avoid any difficulties from that. So come over, and enjoy your trip - you have nothing to worry about!

I have to reply to this OP...why is it that Americans worry about troubles that may or may not be in Europe depending on the media IMHO,but no one asks if it's safe to travel to certain cities in the US where they may have similar problems or high murder rates or people carjacked etc. Do Europeans ask this same question when they plan a trip to the US. I think not.Anyone who travels no matter where should always be aware of their surroundings,but they should never go if they feel they will be afraid as it is a trip spoiler for sure.I would hate to think of all the things I may have missed in my travels if I stayed at home and not met the wonderful people from other countires or seen sights that I only had dreamed of.Travel on.....:p

Archived