CruiseCare insurance question

mamamzee

We are scheduled to leave Monday on Reflection. DH has COPD for several years. He has been fine but a few days ago he came down with a slight cold which developed into an "COPD exacerbation" which causes him to cough and cough and cough, makes him dizzy, and he feels unwell. He went to the doctor Thursday and is on meds.

We paid for the cruise in full on October 30. I know CruiseCare has a restriction that you cant be compensated if you have been treated for something 60 days prior to that. He has been fine for two years and this present event just came up. Anybody wise in the insurance business, please advise!!!

Did you purchase your insurance at the time of booking your cruise? I am under the impression that the pre existing clause is a mute point as long as insurance was purchased at time of booking.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You are good if you purchased at the time of booking. We had to cancel a cruise just weeks before sailing due to my mom’s cancer diagnosis, she was told she had an ulcer 2 months prior. There is ALOT of paperwork to be filled out and it took several months to get the refund. They were very nice and informative each time I called. It is always disappointing to cancel a cruise, but comforting to know you are not out a large sum of money.

If your husband has been stable for “the lookback period” as defined in your policy then his copd is not considered to be a pre-existing condition under the terms of the policy. Stable means normal periodic visits to the doctor with no change in treatment or medication. It doesn’t matter when you purchased the policy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

your doctor will need to fill out forms....I will tell you my sister has COPD and had an episode 3 days into our cruise. They took her off the ship and refused to let her stay on ship - they told us she would not make it to the next port because they did not have the equipment to treat her. They took her to a sub-par hospital on an island I would have guessed would have had a good hospital. Then they would not let her fly off island without a concentrator which she did not have since she had never had such a a terrible attack. If he is not fine do not go.....