Trip Insurance - Best Company?

Indyjaybird

Anyone had any experience with trying to get a refund after cancelling a cruise? We are shopping around for insurance to take out for a cruise in March and wondered which company we should go with. Would only consider cancelling due to weather or medical illness of ourselves or a family member. Thanks!

If you cancel the cruise, you will not get a refund. If the cruise is cancelled, you will. If one of your family members is ill and you must cancel, it will be covered. Well established name companies will pay pretty quickly if they are supposed to.

Check out www.insuremytrip.com and you can compare numerous policies line item by line item. The prices can vary a lot but the higher priced ones may have coverage you don't really need.

We had to cancel a cruise 3 weeks prior to sailing last winter when my husband became ill. We had purchased Travelex Travel Lite policy through http://www.insuremytrip.com. The entire policy for both of us cost $120 and we received a complete refund within 2 weeks of submitting the documentation. I would highly recommend this company. They were extremely professional and compassionate.

:) I expect all companies are pretty good, but the insurance offered by the cruise lines is a bit hefty on the premiums. After some friends of ours had a horrific experience (uninsured) we saw the light and have been buying insurance ever since.

We had book a freighter cruise aboard the Adele Jurgens some years ago, and just a month before we were due to leave, we received word that "the Adele Jurgens is no longer taking passengers.":mad:

:D Not only did did we get all our money back, but our travel agent also secured a refund of the insurance purchase price!

:) Needless to say, our agent has earned undying loyalty from us!

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Jun 1989, RIVER CRUISES, -- Paddlewheeler Julia Belle Swain, GD

Sep 1993, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Halsey CG23, HI-CA, EXC

Nov 1997, CAPT. COOK CRUISES, Murray Princess, Australia, EXC

Jan.1993, RCL Majesty of the Seas 1st big cruiseship, we were green

May 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

Apr 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 1999, DELTA QUEEN STEAMBOAT CO, Delta Queen, EXC

Sep 2000, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 2001, HAL Maasdam. E. Caribbean, VD

Feb 2002, HAL Rotterdam, S. Caribbean, exc. ship decor, EXC

May 2002, CARNIVAL Pride, W. Caribbean, garish decor, VG

Sep 2002, CELEBRITY, Mercury, Panama Canal, Rail & Sail FR

Dec 2002, CARNIVAL Spirit, E. Caribbean, nice decor, VERY GD

Apr 2003, HAL Statendam, CA-HI, good all around, VERY GD

Aug 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, E. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Sep 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, W. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Dec 2003, HAL Noordam, E. & S. Caribbean, VG

Mar 2004, HAL Volendam, W. Caribbean Wayfarer, VG

May 2004, MSC, Lirica, West Indies, GOOD

Nov 2004, HAL Prinsendam, 28-day Amazon River Explorer, VG

Feb 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, E. Caribbean, POOR

Mar 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, W.Caribbean, POOR

July 2005, CARNIVAL Miracle, W. Caribbean, EXC

COMING UP

Dec 2005 RCL Mariner of the Seas, E. Caribbean

Apr 2006 HAL Ryndam, S. Caribbean INCLUDING ARUBA!

Sep 2006 CARNIVAL Sensation, Bahamas (a short one)

I really appreciate all of the information. It's good to hear that most claims are handled in an appropriate manner. We almost always take out insurance for our trips unless it is a cheap one to Vegas. We were lucky we had taken it out on a planned trip to New Orleans the first of September this year! This is only our third cruise and it seemed like the cruise lines' insurance was a little pricey for what they offered compared to some of the other companies.

It's really important to read the fine print in the policy before you buy, most of the policies are on the websites. I was looking to buy insurance incase a relative who is very ill got worse (pre-existing condition). The fine print on one of the major insurance carriers say they will only pay is the traveler is required to care for the person, so if the relative was hospitalized, sounds like they wouldn't pay. Also it's confusing language as to what they would pay if you miss your plane due to a snowstorm, one policy says the plane must not have flown for 48 hours, most people fly out the day before the cruise, not 2 days, so guess I wouldn't be covered. A traveler on these boards missed her cruise due to weather, but Delta flew her for free to the caribbean to catch the ship. Some insurances will only reimburse you $300 or so. I ended up not buying any for this trip, there are so many restrictions. If I missed the cruise I can still reuse the air tickets. I got a cheap cruise price.

I love Travelex Lite. It included accidental death benefits, flight insurance which can be increased if you are flying a lot of small planes (like in Alaska), and you can increase the medical from their minimum (I think it is $50,000) to about $150,000 for a small amount of money ($30.00 for my last trip to South America). They are almost always the least expensive, IF you don't need a lot of stuff like high limit baggage. Baggage should be covered by your Homeowner's.

Travelex Lite is also PRIMARY coverage. You do not have to file with your own health insurance carrier before their insurance takes effect.

I have had one small claim-missed my connection on a business trip (Lan flight from Chile), ended up for two days in Lima Peru-reroute fees and hotels paid for promptly upon presentation of documents.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read your posts on STA insurance.Can you just buy the insurance from them and nothing else? Have you done this in the past?Their price is so much cheaper than anyone elses that I am very interested.Thanks for any help you can give me.

Laura

YES!!!

I only purchased insurance from them for my upcoming cruise in October. I purchased the insurance within 2 weeks of booking so that any pre-existing conditions would be covered. I have never purchased insurance for a cruise or vacation before, but now that we have kids 8, 6, & 3 and the fact that the parents are getting older, I don't want to risk loosing all that money if one of them should happen to get sick.

I found out about this company from another CC'er who travels alot and purchases from them.

I purchased over the phone and went to the location to pick up the policy (I live in the same city as the local office). I felt better about knowing that this is not some fly-by-night opperation. They will mail you the policy if you're not near an office.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore info.

Lhoppe@insight.rr.com

Archived