Roundtrip Celebrity Infinity, or One Way Diamond Princess with waterside room?

lovethecaribbean31

We had booked our cruise long ago and got great rooms, and because of my sister's job, we had to cancel and go earlier in August. We were originally booked on the Island Princess which I choose due to a good price and great itinerary. So I'm trying to choose between the following:

The Celebrity Infinity, roundtrip Vancouver. There are 3 mid ship balcony rooms available that look pretty good. I'm assuming what side of the ship we are on doesn't really matter with a roundtrip cruise.

For about the same price we could go on the Diamond Princess (one way Vancouver to Whittier), and get balcony rooms, but they are on the water side of the ship.

Everywhere I have read says that the one way trips are better and Glacier Bay is better than Hubbard. But is it worth it if we're on the side of the ship where we aren't going to be able to use the balcony to see the scenery and wildlife?

Thanks so much for your advice!

One way room side does not really matter as you travel through the inside passage with land on both sides. This is the only time that you are really close to any shore anyways other than docking.

That being said watch your cost for air on the one way.

and. I'm an Infinity fan and it was a great ship to "do" Alaska on.

I would take the Infinity round trip.... if only because of the flight hassels back from Anchorage... that's a long trip with a stopover usually in Seattle or Vancouver....Hubbard glacier is a magnificent sight as well....but it's your cruise, and your call.... the Diamond is a beautiful ship, but so is the Infinity....

The port side is perfect for viewing Glacier Bay and College Fjords, if you do choose this sailing, at the very least try for a few extra days, interior Alaska travel is definately worth it and take advantage of being there.

Round trip Vancouver sailings offer plenty too and would be my choice without added time. You will soon find out- Alaska isn't a one time trip. :) So go with what fits your touring priorities this time. :)

I agree with those who are suggesting the round trip. If you are flying into Vancouver to start your trip, then it is considered an "open jaw" flight to come back from Anchorage (rather than Vancouver). Open jaw flights are frequently more expensive than a regular round trip. Also, there is plenty to see on the RT cruise...there's almost always something beautiful to watch as you sail.

I agree with those who are suggesting the round trip. If you are flying into Vancouver to start your trip, then it is considered an "open jaw" flight to come back from Anchorage (rather than Vancouver). Open jaw flights are frequently more expensive than a regular round trip. Also, there is plenty to see on the RT cruise...there's almost always something beautiful to watch as you sail.

I disagree that the open jaw is more expensive than the round trip airfare just because it is an open jaw. It would be slightly more expensive certainly because returning from Anchorage costs more than returning from Vancouver. But flying to one city and back from another city is extremely common and you just pay 1/2 of each fare. There are tons of airlines that fly to Anchorage now without having to transit Vancouver or Seattle (I think of Northwest to Minneapolis, American and United to Chicago, Delta to Salt Lake City to name a few). So don't base your decision on this.

I agree with Budget Queen that if you were to do a one-way cruise spending time in Alaska would be worthwhile. I am taking the Diamond one-way from Anchorage to Vancouver in July and spending a week in Alaska/Denali beforehand.

I disagree that the open jaw is more expensive than the round trip airfare just because it is an open jaw. It would be slightly more expensive certainly because returning from Anchorage costs more than returning from Vancouver. But flying to one city and back from another city is extremely common and you just pay 1/2 of each fare. There are tons of airlines that fly to Anchorage now without having to transit Vancouver or Seattle (I think of Northwest to Minneapolis, American and United to Chicago, Delta to Salt Lake City to name a few). So don't base your decision on this.

I agree with Budget Queen that if you were to do a one-way cruise spending time in Alaska would be worthwhile. I am taking the Diamond one-way from Anchorage to Vancouver in July and spending a week in Alaska/Denali beforehand.

As only an example- I paid $260 for my round trip air and $500 for my Anchorage open jaw for my two Alaska sailings this year. I found nothing cheaper for either.

As only an example- I paid $260 for my round trip air and $500 for my Anchorage open jaw for my two Alaska sailings this year. I found nothing cheaper for either.

I guess it depends on where you fly from. I have not found the open jaws any more expensive and have often found the one way cruises much cheaper then the round trip cruises - so it is more cost efficient for me to do a one way cruise.

Thanks everyone. I have actually found that the roundtrip flights for Vancouver are a little more expensive than flying into Vancouver and out of Anchorage (we are flying from DC). And it's looking like the DC-Van-AK schedules are a little better for us. I think we have decided on the Princess one way cruise, and plan to stay in Alaska for a few days after the cruise. Thanks for your help!

Archived