Should I have received a credit?

zorky12

This was dumb on my part as this is the first time ever cruising. I booked a cruise for March 18th 2018 back in Aug 2017. I paid $803 dollars at the time. $500 deposit for 4 people and $303 for the insurance. My schedule at my work took an unknowingly major change and 3 weeks later I canceled the trip thinking I would get at least 70% back but it was just my deposit. So out of $803 I received $350 back for future credit which I was told was because I bought the insurance.

I was charged a cancellation fee of $125 per person x 4 ($500). But reading that people are getting $50 per person on board credit on a re-book without having insurance. Should I have received more than $350 back? I would have been better off with no insurance lol :o. $200 credit and losing $300 is better than losing $453. I don't know how Carnival lost money on my booking because 2 hours after I canceled my booking my room was gone. I called Carnival to see if I could undo my cancel and they told me the room was already gone.

Sounds like there are two different things happening with your booking, insurance and the Early Saver Fare.

Don’t know how the Carnival insurance works, but I’ve been successful in transferring travel insurance from one cruise to another using Travel Guard. If I didn’t change cruises I would have been out my insurance monies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your $303 for insurance was lost. Out of the $500 deposit, you should have lost (assuming you booked early saver) $50 per person with the remainder of the deposit as a future cruise credit. If you deposit was $125 per person, that is a $75 per person FCC.

I'm not sure that the numbers you are telling us are correct. I'm not aware of any cruises with a deposit of $125 pp, and your $350 is $87.50 pp, which also sounds quite odd.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was wrong with my totals. I received $375 back as future credit. It was $125 per person deposit. Whats crazy is I think I could have canceled the insurance before canceling and I may have saved some money. 75% of $500 so insurance was lost. Oh well water under the bridge now. We are booked on a cruise in 4 weeks. I will stuff my face with all the food I can to re-coop some of my money ;p

TRIP CANCELLATION1 check-mark.ashxincluded

(*Cancellation Fee Waiver Program provided by Carnival Cruise Line)

In life, you never really know what may happen… but you can rely on the Vacation Protection trip cancellation. If you need to cancel for some of the most common reasons (severe weather, illness, etc.) you'll get 100% of the cost of your trip back, in cash. If you need to cancel for any reason not covered by the plan — any reason at all — you'll get 75% back in a Future Cruise Credit Certificate.

How much was your cruise? Insurance is typically 5 to 7 percent of total price. I don’t like the ES rates because of penalties associated with changes or cancellation. Price drops don’t reduce your total, just gets you obc, it was your money anyways. Other slightly higher rates have more protection. That said at 4 weeks out just get ready to enjoy it and take this as a lesson,

How much was your cruise? Insurance is typically 5 to 7 percent of total price. I don’t like the ES rates because of penalties associated with changes or cancellation. Price drops don’t reduce your total, just gets you obc, it was your money anyways. Other slightly higher rates have more protection. That said at 4 weeks out just get ready to enjoy it and take this as a lesson,

Don't price drops before final payment date lower your total? That was always my understanding even though I also never book ES anymore as i am wishy washy and change my mind a lot.

Bill

They refunded the correct amount. Instead of a a $300 credit under the Early Saver restrictions the insurance policy allowed you to recover 75% of the $500 deposit which is $375. The insurance policy is an added expense so it gone no matter what outside of the review period once they begin to assume risk.

Edited by ray98

Don't price drops before final payment date lower your total? That was always my understanding even though I also never book ES anymore as i am wishy washy and change my mind a lot.

Bill

Yes, price drops before final payment DO lower your total. After final payment they are given to you as OBC - however, you CAN recoup the OBC that is unspent as it is refundable OBC. We have gotten our unspent $$ back each time. The $50 penalty (which we have never had to incur) is worth it to us in the lower pricing to begin with + the price drops before departure which yield OBC but are refundable as well! We love ES!!