Amending an Early Saver Booking

Wiltonian

Sorry if this is old news to Cunard old-hands, but I've just learned something about amending bookings which surprised me - pleasantly.

We booked for a Oct 2018 cruise last April, Ocean View, Early Saver. Since then, prices have gone up quite a bit, but just recently fallen back towards but not reaching the price we paid.

I rang to ask if I could switch to an obstructed view balcony at the price currently on the web-site, where atm the Cunard fare is less than the EB.

The lady informed me that I could only amend paying the price for the new cabin which was in force at the time of my original booking. I had no objections since it is lower than both current prices.

This ability to buy at the price when you first made the booking is not advantageous if prices have fallen, and the rule probably exists to stop people re-booking at a lower price. But when prices have increased, the rule benefits the customer.

This may not seem remarkable, but my past experience has been with Celebrity, who a couple of years ago stopped all rebooking, even to more expensive cabins, other than cancelling and losing deposits. So, I'm very pleased.

Stuart

A few months ago we booked a LS inside but saw a better deal, we were told we could swap for a current priced cabin but not lower than the original booking cost. That sounded fair enough as we were swapping for a more expensive A2 Club cabin but at a later discounted price which made it a better deal for us. Had we paid the Club price at the time of our original inside cabin booking it would have been far more expensive. I guess there must be infinitely more factors at play or perhaps the interpretation of Cunard's rules differs with whatever person/supervisor happens to deal with the call.

Personally I have always been very satisfied with Cunard's attitude when seeking to do booking amendments. I recently wanted to upgrade from Princess Grill ( where I had received a decent discount ) to Queens Grill (where there was no discount) but they carried over the discount amount to the new booking - which I had not expected.