Alaska 2019

ACoupleAtSea

Honestly, Alaska is so Port intensive, i wouldn’t waste the extra money on the Disney experience. I would put that money towards a land tour that another cruise line offers after the cruise is over. You’ll get to see the “real” Alaska when you do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are looking to cruise Disney to Alaska in 2019. Does anyone think it will

Be possible to do this cruise under 6k for a family of 4???

Not very likely for $6K . In 2018 the base fare for the cheap cruise is about $1800 per person. The Disney site say $7000 for two adults and two 12 year old kids. If you want balcony prices start at $10K. Then add airfare for four to and from Vancouver . This based on 2018 prices before any discounts.

Thoughts...

• if price is a concern... don't forget to budget for excursions and extra nights at your bonus port Vancouver.
  • If you are willing to give up the pixie dust.... check out Princess and Holland America for price comparison. They might even throw in Glacier Bay for you in some itineraries.

Another vote to consider a less costly line and put more money toward excursions or extra land days. The point of Alaska isn't a DCL ship, it is Alaska. Other lines have kid programming with great reviews, although none is as extensive as DCL's. And DCL has a couple of exclusive "kid oriented" excursions--basically characters show up and participate in a bit of a show.

But if your goal is to see Alaska, you'll see more of it on other lines and can find plenty of good uses for the extra funds.

Thank you all for the great info. We have sailed the Star Princess in 2013 to Glacier Bay. It was wonderful ( we are mostly princess cruisers, but we have switched to disney after kids ). This cruise we will look to see more of the ports with fewer excursions. We are looking into all cruise lines but are leaning toward the Star again if Disneys prices are extremely high.

We are looking to cruise Disney to Alaska in 2019. Does anyone think it will

Be possible to do this cruise under 6k for a family of 4???

There is no way on earth you can keep a Disney Alaska cruise under $6K! We have a family of four and have sailed Disney twice in recent years. You would be hard pressed to even sail the Caribbean for a week in the summer for that price, much less Alaska. Even if you are military or a Florida resident, which I am both and booked the cruise for the smallest inside room on the ship on the first day the cruise was available, you couldn't get it under $6,000.00. And that's not even considering tips ($350 ish), cruise insurance ($375) and airfare ($1,000 to $2,000) depending on where you live. I'm cruising Alaska on Princess May 2019 and with all my research I think you need to have at least $8,000.00 to cover the trip for a non Disney Cruise. You might be able to pull off a Disney Cruise for maybe $11K with all of the expenses, but even that may be tough. My Disney Christmas cruise was almost $12K for a balcony and I booked it 18 months out. I will say this was a premium price because it is actually Christmas week.

Alaska prices are much higher than the Caribbean and although I love Disney, I can't justify the $14K plus it would take to cover the trip for my family. Good luck but you may have to skip Alaska if $6K is your budget.

I just booked the Disney Wonder Alaska, August 2018, 2 children & 2 adults for $8,467.16. That only includes insurance and that is an inside stateroom. No air fare, no pre/post Hotels, no gratuities, no excursions. For us, it will be more about the ship and less about excursions. The boys just opened this gift, and they are so excited. Makes it worth it. Merry Christmas!

I was referencing cruise fares only for under 6k. One of the great things about princess is they offer wonderful stand by deals. We have the flexibility of cruising at any point in 2019. I looked at my stand by emails from last year and minisuites were going for $999 for the 1st and 2nd person. We use air miles so we dont pay for flights.

I was hoping opening day disney alaska pricing for 2019 would be under 6k. Sounds like that is not really feasible.

Edited by ACoupleAtSea

I was referencing cruise fares only for under 6k. One of the great things about princess is they offer wonderful stand by deals. We have the flexibility of cruising at any point in 2019. I looked at my stand by emails from last year and minisuites were going for $999 for the 1st and 2nd person. We use air miles so we dont pay for flights.

I was hoping opening day disney alaska pricing for 2019 would be under 6k. Sounds like that is not really feasible.

No, you aren't going to see that sort of fare on DCL, even on opening day. However, as you know, Princess is different from DCL, but has many enjoyable features.

Yes, We are Platinum on Princess. We enjoy them a great deal. We enjoy cruising Disney (April 2018 and Jan 2019). We are looking to cruise Alaska in 2019 and just feel like disney addresses everything we need with a 5 year old and 2 year old. We sailed the Star to Alaska in 2013 and it was absolutely amazing

Yes, We are Platinum on Princess. We enjoy them a great deal. We enjoy cruising Disney (April 2018 and Jan 2019). We are looking to cruise Alaska in 2019 and just feel like disney addresses everything we need with a 5 year old and 2 year old. We sailed the Star to Alaska in 2013 and it was absolutely amazing

Since you haven't cruised Disney, but I guess you are going to in 2018 and 2019, why don't you just turn the two cruises into one Alaskan cruise. Then you can afford to get a larger room and do Alaska cruise right if you want to try Disney.

We have cruised Disney once when my daughter was almost a year old. We are sailing the Magic in April and hope to sail the Dream in Jan of 2019. I would like to do alaska in the summer but its not a def. it would be nice if disney is the cruise line but their prices are alot. With alaska being port intensive i am drawing the line at 6k. In 2013, my wife and i paid 299 pp plus port tax. Airfare was paid for with points. If disney comes in more than 6k just for the cruise we will have to go elsewhere.

We have cruised Disney once when my daughter was almost a year old. We are sailing the Magic in April and hope to sail the Dream in Jan of 2019. I would like to do alaska in the summer but its not a def. it would be nice if disney is the cruise line but their prices are alot. With alaska being port intensive i am drawing the line at 6k. In 2013, my wife and i paid 299 pp plus port tax. Airfare was paid for with points. If disney comes in more than 6k just for the cruise we will have to go elsewhere.

That low price isn't going to happen on any Disney cruise. You will be paying over 3k for your short cruise on the Dream. However, January is one of the least expensive times to go and some dates in February. We have sailed the Dream (5 day double dip) and the Fantasy. I highly recommend a virtual porthole room if you don't need or want a balcony. I hope you can work out the best options for your family. Personally, I would hold off on Alaska until my kids were a little older so they will retain some memory of it, unless you plan to cruise it again down the road.

You MIGHT manage to come in right about $6K with a booking as soon as you are able (as a silver castaway) and considering that one child will be 2 years old. Basically, that is $2000 for each adult and $1000 for the children. The key is that a 2 year old is charged half of the normal age 3-12 cruise fare, + full taxes and government fees.

I just looked and could find a 2018 in an inside cabin for 4 people for $7100....and those rates have been out for a long time. I went to the DCL site and put in the ages you gave and got it for $6500. But a balcony is $10K for that same family. It is a matter of what you want, and will definitely require booking as soon as the dates come out.

If you are looking for a cruise to Alaska in 2019 for families I would recommend ceckijg out the Norwegian Bliss or Ovation of the Sea. These ships have plenty of activities for kids ranging from go karts to bumper cars to circus school. I just checked they are about $4000 for a family of four in August.

One thing I forgot to add, we will have a placeholder from a previous disney cruise. That should save us 10%. So maybe that will get us closer to 5k.

Remember that the 10% is only off the "cruise fare" portion of the ticket. There is no reduction on taxes, government fees, etc. Depending on the route, it typically works out to more like an 8% discount on the "ticket."

Yes, that still should knock a couple of hundred off the price. Every little bit helps.

I totally agree. I've just seen posts from unhappy people who thought they would get $600 off a $6000 quote, and it doesn't quite work that way. It is still a good deal.

After long discussions, we have decided to sail Princess to Alaska in 2019. With such a port intensive cruise, it just doesnt make sense for us to sail disney to Alaska.

That's how we felt when we did Alaska three years ago. that and we could do a one way from Whittier to Vancouver, giving us more time in Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier. My only regret is that I didn't have the time to fit in Denali prior to the cruise.