We are not contagious

I agree. I used an electric scooter some days shopping while getting Chemo, due to fatigue. I found people either ignored me totally, or went out of their way to look at me and smile, say Hi. Sometimes talking very slowly and carefully. Which was funny, since I could hear and talk just fine. But they tried to be nice.

Lol! I am deaf and some people think I need menu or books in Braille. They get so confused when I tell them that I do not know Braille and I can read just fine with my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a disabled woman, may I also add, it’s ok to look us in the eye and smile when we walk by. My different way of walking won’t melt you or turn you to stone if you glance my way. No need to avert your eyes to the ground in an effort to avoid making eye contact with me.

--But there are some disabled folks who would regard someone looking at them directly "in the eye" as staring at them, or being rude. Averting their eyes might be some people's attempt to NOT appear rude to disabled persons.

Oh, yes. While I am very grateful to the many people who happily included my autistic daughter in the trivia challenges she loves, I was not happy with the women on a scooter who rammed me to take my place to view an activity in the Centrum. I had gotten there at least 20 minutes early to get a good spot for viewing (I'm short, so being in the front is often the only way I can see something), had patiently waited, then she showed up just as the show was starting and rammed me out of the way. I ended up not being able to see anything.

My husband is disabled and uses a transport chair - we try to be considerate and generally are treated kindly. Regarding the lady in the scooter - I wouldn't have let her ram me out of the way - I have no problems telling someone I was there first.

As a disabled woman, may I also add, it’s ok to look us in the eye and smile when we walk by. My different way of walking won’t melt you or turn you to stone if you glance my way. No need to avert your eyes to the ground in an effort to avoid making eye contact with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe not everyone looks away because you are disabled. We aren't disabled at all and people will sometimes do that to us also. We usually say hi to people as we get on the elevator or somewhere else. Often they won't look up even though I know they heard me. Some people just weren't raised to be very socialable, are shy, self conscious about themselves so they look down or away in order not to see the other people or maybe have some other issue. Some people just don't want to talk so they will also look away or down.

There are many rude people who will rush in front of someone in a wheelchair, but they also do this to others. We normally let wheelchair users ahead of us and make sure the door doesn't try to close on them.

There was one cruise where I quit being nice to a wheelchair lady. She was so rude and would literally run people over. She would come up behind others waiting for the elevator and almost yell that she needed to get on and was coming thru. She wore her pinnacle pin everywhere and looked down at others. Always decked out in jewelry (which could have be fake for all I know) and nice clothes so she probably thought she was the queen. Her actions made her look so ugly and it's people like this that ruin it for others. Every time I saw her I had some not so nice thoughts about her and she seemed to be everywhere. Now where is that puking emoji? :D

Sorry you felt like people were avoiding you because of your disability. They might be missing out on meeting some really nice people so they are the losers in this case.

Maybe not everyone looks away because you are disabled. We aren't disabled at all and people will sometimes do that to us also. We usually say hi to people as we get on the elevator or somewhere else. Often they won't look up even though I know they heard me. Some people just weren't raised to be very socialable, are shy, self conscious about themselves so they look down or away in order not to see the other people or maybe have some other issue. Some people just don't want to talk so they will also look away or down.

There are many rude people who will rush in front of someone in a wheelchair, but they also do this to others. We normally let wheelchair users ahead of us and make sure the door doesn't try to close on them.

There was one cruise where I quit being nice to a wheelchair lady. She was so rude and would literally run people over. She would come up behind others waiting for the elevator and almost yell that she needed to get on and was coming thru. She wore her pinnacle pin everywhere and looked down at others. Always decked out in jewelry (which could have be fake for all I know) and nice clothes so she probably thought she was the queen. Her actions made her look so ugly and it's people like this that ruin it for others. Every time I saw her I had some not so nice thoughts about her and she seemed to be everywhere. Now where is that puking emoji? :D

Sorry you felt like people were avoiding you because of your disability. They might be missing out on meeting some really nice people so they are the losers in this case.

See comment # 28.

Fwiw,no one can see everything. I make a strong effort in my day to day life, and while on trips, to make eye contact with and smile at people in wheelchairs, etc. and I cannot tell you how often I’m moving forward, looking at the person and smiling, waiting for them to meet my gaze, and they just don’t.

So I look away because I do need to pay attention to my own surroundings. For all I know (because I can’t see what I’m not looking at) that’s exactly when they look my way and think I’m avoiding them. When they weren’t looking at me while I was trying to be engaging.

It's different for me. I won't look anyone -- particularly a woman -- in the eye in the elevator or any other enclosed space unless I know them pretty well, like a co-worker.

The reason: I work in a Federal office and we've had extensive sexual harassment training, and one thing that's been hammered home is that looking someone in the eye in an elevator or other enclosed space -- notably male-to-female contact -- is potentially regarded as "cornering," which is an actionable harassment offense. I've got 28 years in Federal service, and I'd hate to have my career come to an abrupt end over something so minor.

If someone engages in conversation while in an elevator, I regard that as their tacit approval to engage more directly, although I probably still wouldn't look them in the eye.

It's different for me. I won't look anyone -- particularly a woman -- in the eye in the elevator or any other enclosed space unless I know them pretty well, like a co-worker.

The reason: I work in a Federal office and we've had extensive sexual harassment training, and one thing that's been hammered home is that looking someone in the eye in an elevator or other enclosed space -- notably male-to-female contact -- is potentially regarded as "cornering," which is an actionable harassment offense. I've got 28 years in Federal service, and I'd hate to have my career come to an abrupt end over something so minor.

If someone engages in conversation while in an elevator, I regard that as their tacit approval to engage more directly, although I probably still wouldn't look them in the eye.

How sad that our country has come to this. That stinks. :/

--But there are some disabled folks who would regard someone looking at them directly "in the eye" as staring at them, or being rude. Averting their eyes might be some people's attempt to NOT appear rude to disabled persons.

This. At least I have been brought up to NEVER EVER look at anyone different. I think this is common in my country and generation. So definitely I’m one of the awkward ones, trying hard not to look. And unwittingly being insulting. :o

I have M.S. and walk with forearm crutches. I am perfectly fine with people NOT engaging me in conversation, used to enjoy idle chit chat, not so much now. I have worsening cognitive impairment so talking to strangers can be tough. Rudeness on the other hand upsets me.

formerly (Fat) Paul.

Gosh I hope all is well now after your Chemo! Hope you are doing OK. :o

Yeah, until you "walk a mile" in the shoes of the Disabled...it does open your eyes. I am one of the fortunate ones and should be able to walk again in 4-6 weeks. There are far too many that are not as lucky. My heart goes out to them...and you. You have a great attitude! :)

Thank you, I am. I'm just over a year out of all treatments for stage 3 cancer, and so far so good. No signs of it returning. Our upcoming cruise it to celebrate both our 25 anniversary and my being 2 years out from my diagnosis.

I was not aware of my own actions in the past as to whether I avoided people in wheelchairs or not but from reading the forum here about people needing to be sensitive in treating the disabled kindly had been so helpful. On our last Celebrity cruise, I went out of my way to not only give priority to physically disabled guests, especially with the elevators, but to block others from cutting in front of them. I was embarrassed by the many thank-yous. If we can all be more considerate, we share a better world.

I understand this viewpoint; I would never have thought about how I was coming across even though I don't go out of my way to be rude, inconsiderate or ignorant towards any fellow passenger. I would emphasise this to the original poster and hope that they do not tar all "able" guests with the same brush. I hope future vacations have kinder passengers on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums