Feedback on Recent Stops in San Juan - Is it Safe

taylortime05

We are Freedom sailing Jan 6th and would love feedback from someone recently visiting. Is it safe for excursions and/or self guided walking tours? My adult kids were excited about taking an ATV excursion through cruise-line. I've been trying to get some feedback which excursion was better between Carabali ATV or Campo Rico ATV. Now I'm wondering if we should cancel the ATV excursion and either taking walking tour of the forts or stay on the ship.

Thank you for feedback.

We were there in October. San Juan is perfectly safe. I would spend the day in old San Juan...tons to see and do. The vegetation was severely damaged, I wonder if the atv tours would be running or how nice it would be if they are. Hardly any noticeable damage in old San juan

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We walked all through OSJ in Mid-December, and it was perfectly safe. The usual level of Police Officers on the streets and in the squares made things feel just as they always have in Old San Juan. Most all shops and restaurants were open, and outside of a few generators supplementing power to a few buildings, OSJ seemed almost normal, and very safe. Speaking and corresponding with locals, once you get outside the city, recovery from the hurricane damage is much slower, people are still facing some real struggles.

We were there in late December and walked from Condado after dropping off our rental car to the OSJ pier after dark - no problems at all. Still some signs of damage from the hurricanes in the non-touristy areas, but the lights were on and our only concern was whether we had time to stop at the NaviTown carnival before getting back to the ship. We ended up not going in, but it looked like a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

Old San Juan is very safe. There is no need to book a tour as you can walk around the cobblestone streets and just gawk at all there is to see. It's beautiful!!!

DO NOT stay on the ship in this port, it is way too nice there to miss anything.

We just came back from our cruise and stayed in Old San Juan for three nights pre cruise. We walked everywhere, day and night and never felt unsafe! The shop and restaurant owners are so grateful for our business after being closed for 2+ months, it was actually heartwarming to be there and helping their economy recover!

We just came back from our cruise and stayed in Old San Juan for three nights pre cruise. We walked everywhere, day and night and never felt unsafe! The shop and restaurant owners are so grateful for our business after being closed for 2+ months, it was actually heartwarming to be there and helping their economy recover!

We totally agree with the above post. We just spent our second of three night pre-cruise in old San Juan. We feel so appreciated everyone we encounter.

Walk around old San Juan. Get some bargains in the shops. Try out some authentic Puerto Rican food in any of the many restaurants. Have some great drinks too. See the forts and the many attractions and historic buildings in the town.

Old San Juan and Georgetown in the Caymans are the 2 safest port stops in the Caribbean. Any money you spend in Old san Juan will be helping out those in need right now and deeply appreciated.

Can I ask where you stayed? Going in June and I have no idea, bit I think I want to be in OSJ

Can I ask where you stayed? Going in June and I have no idea, bit I think I want to be in OSJ

We rented an Airbnb with another couple this time.... Lincoln Corner! I left a review on that site if you go search for that.

We’ve stayed previously at Sheraton, El Convento, and Milano.

The first two hotels were great...the third not so much!

The big pluses on the house rental are: great location, more space, lower overall rental cost when splitting with second couple, saving on food cost by buying breakfast items.

Everyone is different on what they like for accommodations, amenities, etc but the house rental was a good choice for us this year!

We plan to spend more than we normally would to help in any way possible with the folks there getting back on their feet. We feel very fortunate to be able to be on a cruise ship and putting some money into their economy is something I hope every visitor does. We love San Juan and it breaks my heart to see what they have gone through and what they are still experiencing. I would NEVER think of staying on the ship. The people of PR are great and every cent you spend there helps them.